Newbie question - accessing the diesel generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I have a newbie question.  I've owned our DP for 4 years but relied on a mechanic to check the generator.  I have a narrow folding access door that can allow me to check the oil.  What I can't figure out is how to pull the entire unit out - the front profile appears to allow for pulling the entire unit out for easier access.  I see lots of pictures of DP's where the generator has been "slid out" the front of the RV.  However, I can't figure out how to make this work. When I peak inside the access door it looks like the mechanism is bolted in place. 

The owner's manual is of no help. 

A picture of our 2003 Fleetwood 37u is in my profile picture. 

I'd appreciate any tips on this.  Thanks, Mark

I believe that model doesn?t have a generator built on a slide out tray. The Onan genset is bolted in place on the chassis frame. You access all fluid level checks via the front panel access door. The oil filter is accessed from the underside. Pretty easy to maintain.

It's a nice feature for sure, but if yours isn't designed to slide out, I think converting it to do so would be a pretty hefty job. Reconfiguring the wiring harness, fuel line etc - not to mention hoisting the thing onto a suitably strong set of rails, creating a latching mechanism, doing any front end fiberglass work - doable, but quite a project. JMO

Kev

Mine is also bolted in place,, in 24 years I have had no need to "slide it out"  I have replaced oil filters,,fuel pump,,coolant hoses,,and coolant..  Most of what you need to access is accessible from the bottom....Years ago I did totally remove it from the coach for a trip to a Cummins shop to have the internal inverter replaced..  I had to raise the front of the coach another 44 inches above the normal height to clear and roll it out from under with a pallet jack..>>>Dan

Thanks for the quick replies on this!  I didn't realize some slid out while others don't.  Mine is clearly the "bolted in place" type. 

Slide out generators are high end coach feature, e.g. American Eagle or American Dream in the 2003 Fleetwood coach line up.  Bounders and Discoverys and even Excursions in those years didn't have that feature.

Back
Top Bottom