Newbie to SlideOuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qmagic

I ordered a new Montana, should be here March 1.
This will be my 1st camper with slideouts.
Any concern with them? do i need to keep them greased up?
Being the structural type of guy that i am, Im always looking at ways
things are supported. Now im sure that the Structural engineer at RV factory
has everthing under control,but Why dont i ever see it printed for a load
limitation on slideouts? Somebody along the line has done the math, or they wouldnt
be building them.
Typically in the Structural world, i would not Cantilever something (slideout in this case)
unless i have a minimum 2/3 backspan. Meaning, if slideout extends out 3', there is min. of 6' fixed
supported you dont see.
Sorry to overkill this, but what if i have (2) 300 lbs nfl lineman over for diner....ok to sit on my new couch
that "slides out"?
Let me know your thoughts gang.
thank in advance
Qmagic

The slide isn't cantilevered in a traditional sense, except when it's extending into place.

Once it's fully extended, the top plate of the slide rests against the header beam over the slide opening.  The final inch or two of slide extension straightens it up and releases the tipping force from the slide arms.

As long as the mechanism is holding the slide fully extended, it's a rigid part of the trailer wall.

qmagic said:
I ordered a new Montana, should be here March 1.
This will be my 1st camper with slideouts.
Any concern with them? do i need to keep them greased up?
Being the structural type of guy that i am, Im always looking at ways
things are supported. Now im sure that the Structural engineer at RV factory
has everthing under control,but Why dont i ever see it printed for a load
limitation on slideouts? Somebody along the line has done the math, or they wouldnt
be building them.
Typically in the Structural world, i would not Cantilever something (slideout in this case)
unless i have a minimum 2/3 backspan. Meaning, if slideout extends out 3', there is min. of 6' fixed
supported you dont see.
Sorry to overkill this, but what if i have (2) 300 lbs nfl lineman over for diner....ok to sit on my new couch
that "slides out"?
Let me know your thoughts gang.
thank in advance
Qmagic
The slides add so much living space, hope you enjoy your Montana as much as we enjoy our Cougar.  As for maintenance, I grease our main slides gear racks a couple times a year, keep the rubber seal flaps clean and we use ArmorAll on both sides.  Keeping everything clean is very important, don't let the rubber get dry and crack.  Not sure if your Montana has a cable mechanism slide like our bedroom wardrobe slide, if so, same for the rubber and white lithium grease works well for the cable and wheels.  Keystone products come with wireless remotes that work the slide, this you will find is an awesome benny... Extending the main slide while outside watching is nice.  We have a piece of string kept in the side compartment, has a little clip to put on the plastic latch of the water heater door, nice quick measure for the slide with regard to hookup or trees that may be close.  Enjoy your Montana!  We have found Keystone to be a great manufacture and product. 

Me thinkest you are making too much of this.  Slide rooms have been used in RV's for well over 15 years now with very little problems.  And most of those have been associated with lack of maintenance or underpowered components.
As far as lube?  Get and use a good quality dry lube.  Anything else can attract dirt and will eventually cause problems.

I'm with you. Any added support can't hurt. Long term I think it will help. Look at Camping World or other sites for Slide out stabilizers. A support you put on after you have the unit out.

The slideout mechanism manufacturers don't recommend any lube. It's a very rugged part that moved very slowly and not very often. Lubrication really isn't needed and mostly acts to catch dirt where it otherwise would not be.  If you feel you must lube the gear track, use a dry silicone spray.

Keep the sides and bottom clean and smooth - waxing them is good - to reduce drag.  The rubber flappers and "D" deals can benefit from a rubber preservative, but they will probably last 10+ years even without it.

Do not try to put a brace under the slide once it is extended. That is very likely to cause damage because the rest of the coach can shift or sink a bit, placing huge pressures on the point where the support contacts the slide undercarriage. Definitely a no-no.

Feel free to invite your linemen friends for dinner. The whole coach may lean a bit to one side, but the slide isn't going anywhere on its own.

I've just learned something... never to old to learn!  Seeing the gear tracks, I just anticipated they would need to be greased...  Gotta love the forum.  Did a quick search.... low n' behold, stuff that's what your talking about..http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/slide-out-lube-spray/21225  On the list for next time I go down to CW.

"Me thinkest you are making too much of this.  Slide rooms have been used in RV's for well over 15 years now with very little problems.  And most of those have been associated with lack of maintenance or underpowered components".
I'm well aware they have been around, and thank you for your candid response.
I believe Gary sumed up my follow up question well, pertaining to supports under slideouts................

Do not try to put a brace under the slide once it is extended. That is very likely to cause damage because the rest of the coach can shift or sink a bit, placing huge pressures on the point where the support contacts the slide undercarriage. Definitely a no-no.

Feel free to invite your linemen friends for dinner. The whole coach may lean a bit to one side, but the slide isn't going anywhere on its own.

I AGREE with this 100%......and keep in mind, i have never owed a camper with a slide......
But what Gary has said has got to be true.......from a structural engineer point of view.

Concider all things being rigid, never to sink in the turf.
And when i say all, that means no movement of 4 or 6 point Satabilizers from your coach, and the supports you put under the slideouts.
Nothing can sink into the turf!
All that said, i would agree you fine, but....

If slideouts are rigid (with Jack Stands) and RV rocks over slightly
this forces the slide out in the up direction.
This has to be a huge no-no- and it can only wear on the slide out mechanism.

Ok, so maybe a little bit over kill.......
how bout slide out protection on top.....
Awnings over slide outs? I noticed (visiting) RV dealership Montana (keysone rv) mfg didnt include awnings over the slideouts.
I like the thought of a little rain protection, but what happens at the end of their life?
Easily Replaced?

I have a Montana and they are nice.  Awnings just keep leaves, branches and water off the roof of the slide.  This helps when retracting the slide  to keep junk from coming into the trailer.  The awnings are an option and run about $400.00 each and can be replaces at any time.  I bought mine used and it has only one awning over 1 of 3 slides.  Don't know if I will buy 2 more.  As for lubing the slides, they do make a spray lube that does dry and won't collect dirt, just lake sure you do some yearly maintainence to keep them clean.  Montana's have hydraulic slides and not cables so that helps with some less work keeping cables and pulleys lubed. Make sure they get fully extended they become solid.  I think you will enjoy it very much.

There are three types of slide mechanisms: rack & pinion, hydraulic and pulley/cable. Rack & pinion gearing is rugged, as is hydraulic. I've had both and find little reason to choose one over the other. I've never had a cable system, but have seen more than a few reports of cables stretching or otherwise causing problems. Not sure how significant that is, but I don't see cable systems on any higher end models.

I think hydraulic systems take up more space under the slide, meaning they interfere more with basement storage. I haven't looked at one lately, though, so maybe they are smaller than they used to be.

qmagic said:
how bout slide out protection on top.....Awnings over slide outs?
Slide awnings or "Slide Toppers" have their good and bad points.  If you camp mainly in an are which has a lot of trees they will save you a lot of headaches because you won't be picking up debris on the roof and bringing it into your house every time you pull the slides in.  They also have limited benefit in wet rainy areas, although if not supported they WILL fill up with water, especially on the longer "Super-Slides".

We have Slide Toppers on all slides and we wouldn't be without them, mainly because we like East Texas and the mountains of Wyoming.  My biggest complaint with them is when the wind blows from just the right direction they can drive you nuts!!  There have been numerous times when we just found that the only way we were gonna get any sleep was to put the slides in.

Thanks, 1 question. We live in our unit 9 months a year. Bring in or out the rubber squeaks allot. What my question is, should I put some 3 in 1 slide out lube I just saw on the web? Me thinking, rubber has to have some kind of lube to keep soft and might help seal it self to the slide out. Don't care about the noise, just thought might need to lube the rubber and steel shaft that runs the slide. BUT, don't want the driving shaft to build up with dust and ect.
Didn't write down the brand name of the 3 in 1 lube, but said it was for slide outs.
Thanks

If you feel the need, use a rubber lube such as 303 Protectant or any dry silicone lube sprays. Talcum or baby powder works too.  The branded products that advertise slide out lubrication are fine, but they are just dry silicone so no reason to pay extra for them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom