Newbie TT leveling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merlinmurph

We have a 34' TT with two axles. When leveling the trailer, I assume you need blocks under both tires on the side you are lifting to distribute the weight properly. Is that right?

How do you set up the blocks if you need to lift that side 2 or more leveling blocks? There isn't enough room between the tires to set up more blocks. I've looked around and haven't really found an answer.  The only way I can picture it is a multi-step process:
- back up onto one block and stop.
- now put two blocks behind the one block
- back up onto the two blocks
- etc.

Can you tell we're kinda new to this?  ;-)

Thanks,
Dan

merlinmurph said:
We have a 34' TT with two axles. When leveling the trailer, I assume you need blocks under both tires on the side you are lifting to distribute the weight properly. Is that right?

How do you set up the blocks if you need to lift that side 2 or more leveling blocks? There isn't enough room between the tires to set up more blocks. I've looked around and haven't really found an answer.  The only way I can picture it is a multi-step process:
- etc.

Can you tell we're kinda new to this?  ;-)

Thanks,
Dan

that's pretty well it, you wont find that an issue very often, most campgrounds that ive been in were level enough side to side

The Andersen is a great solution.

One other one is this:
Assume 6" wide tires, 40" between axles
Buy a 2 x 8 by 8' long.  Cut across on a 45o angle, so one board is 48 ?" (long side).  Lay the shorter board on the longer board so the angled ends form a smooth ramp.  Clamp together and drill a 9/16 hole through both boards near each end.

If you need one board, use the long one.  If you need more lift, lay the shorter one on top and drop a ? inch x 3 inch carriage bolt in each hole to "pin" them together.

For our fifth wheel, we carried a couple of long boards. Long enough to span both tires.

We also carry some boards, 2x12's I think that are cut about 16" long.  I put a couple of them end-to-end to make a wood strip long enough to drive both trailer tires onto.  I also now have several strips and squares of indestructible 3/4" rubber to use for leveling, made by cutting up a horse stall mat into pieces.  See this Youtube video "RV Leveling Blocks Solution" for an illustration.  Many folks also use what we refer to as the "Lego" blocks for leveling... see here on Amazon.

Oftentimes you'll need to build a couple "pyramids" of sorts (whether using wood blocks, rubber pieces, or plastic squares) if you need to drive one side of trailer up higher than 1-2 levels.  Just take it slow and steady!

If it's going to be that high, I would dig a hole on the opposite side of the trailer for both tires. I carry an old military style entrenching tool mostly for that purpose. When you leave, make sure you fill it back in. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SOG-F08-N-Entrenching-Tool/14220155

merlinmurph said:

- etc.

You may want to look at these.
https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Plastics-Utility-Block-Four/dp/B00PX1KITE

Rene T said:
If it's going to be that high, I would dig a hole on the opposite side of the trailer for both tires. I carry an old military style entrenching tool mostly for that purpose. When you leave, make sure you fill it back in.

Wow, that is an EXCELLENT idea!  I can't believe I never thought of that (and have never seen anyone doing that).  ;)

grashley said:
The Andersen is a great solution.

One other one is this:
Assume 6" wide tires, 40" between axles
Buy a 2 x 8 by 8' long.  Cut across on a 45o angle, so one board is 48 ?" (long side).  Lay the shorter board on the longer board so the angled ends form a smooth ramp.  Clamp together and drill a 9/16 hole through both boards near each end.

If you need one board, use the long one.  If you need more lift, lay the shorter one on top and drop a ? inch x 3 inch carriage bolt in each hole to "pin" them together.

This is what we do, but you don't need to drill a hole, just lay one board on top of the other. They don't shift with the weight of the trailer.

Stan

I don't like the square plastic leveling blocks.  I am talking about the plastic ones that stack or any blocks that small.  I have been at several campgrounds that have soft ground and the blocks sink.  It may take a day or two but they sink.  A friend camped with us and used the plastic blocks and on day-two it rained and I noticed that the blocks were out of sight in the soft ground.  He checked and the trailer was fairly level (that's not level enough for me) and chose to leave it that way.  I suggested loosening the stabilizer jacks and resetting then.  We did that and found them to be very much tighter than they are suppose to be.

I think the plastic blocks are fine for under the stabilizer jacks but not under the tires.  I use 2x8 boards long enough to support two wheels.  A friend uses the same but cuts them in half in the middle for easy of handling and storage.  I also use some strips of 1/2 inch outdoor plywood cut the same width and length as the boards.  With the 2x8s and the 1/2 plywood strips I can always easily get dead level, which I like to do....but that's just me.  I should also note that the entire footprint of the tired should be supported by whatever you use.  Supporting part of the tire and letting the rest hang off in the air, as I see often, is not good for the tires.

Typically, you only need to lift one tire to level your TT.  I believe there is a You Tube video by Anderson that shows using two on tandem axles.

I use two of them and there is no issue with the space between to two axles on my TT; however, that is not the case with all, so you can trim off a portion for a custom fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom