Newbies cost issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
I believe that Good Sam advertises a policy that you can only insure for the months that you use the rig. I have never looked into it personally though.

Will look into that. Sounds like a better deal.

Gary RV Roamer said:
There are policies that reduce coverage for the time the RV is stored, e.g. suspending liability of a motorized RV during the time it is not driven. Basically it keeps comprehensive (fire/theft/vandalism) in effect while suspending liability & collision coverages.

Will ask around. It seems normal to have it insured all year round but it should depend. A house is huge compared to a car but the insurance is just double (in our case) because the house is not moving on the highway, it just seats there. So all the insurances should keep that in mind (the actual traveling time and the storage time).

Rancher Will said:
Considering insurance, our experience recommends shopping around for your insurance.

We didn't do that for house & car insurance... Maybe it's time to shop around for all of them. It just seemed simpler this way, to get one of the best without checking, for peace of mind. But it's more expensive this way.

OP you have already done an excellent job on your research.  To add my two bits to the conversation don't be intimidated by all the banter about the maintenance of things. When I bought my first class A about ten years ago I didn't know that much about RV's at all.  I called a local person selling his and I watched and waited almost three months before I finally called him to get the low down on his unit for sale.  After I hung up from him my wife asked me what I thought.  My answer was if we "are" going to make the move and get into RV'ing, and buy used/private, then that's the guy I want to buy it from.  I just had a feeling he was honest and up front with me.  Two weeks later we made the deal.  When we went to pick up the rig I went inside and their was this large pile of tan bath towels sitting on the dinette.  I asked Craig, the seller, what's with the towels, I thought he forgot to take them out.  His answer, they came with the RV and sheepishly he said they use them to cover the upholstery to keep them nice.  That took away any second thoughts or possible anxiety I may of had about making the right decision or not.  There are a lot of Craigs out there!    The TV will be like any other vehicle that you own and use, it will need regular care and up keep with repairs on normal items like brakes and tie rod ends and stuff just like the lease car you would be ditching.  That should be a wash, or close to it, in expense.  It going the trailer route don't fear possible repairs.  The major expense items like fridges, furnace, AC and electrical rarely break.  You will be more involved with regular PM stuff like checking roof seams and re-caulking and watching tire pressures that replacing major dollar items.  Besides using forums and opinions, get out and kick the tires on as many RV's as you can both new and used.  Look at units outside of your price range and almost junk stuff to frame your mind on what you are looking at.  Soon you too will be able to spot things to look at more specifically as you narrow in to what you are looking for.  Remember, the number one rule of your comfort with any kind of RV will be "Floor Plan".  Look at rigs with the idea of being stuck inside with your 2 kids for a couple of days because of inclement weather.  Will you survive one another?  In addition, when you are working up your budgets and financial picture, don't forget to look at some of your home expenses that will be less expensive while out on the road with the camper that will be rolled into your camping budget,  i.e. utilities, laundry, food (campers tend to eat less expensive meals because of more limited cooking space and food storage).  Regarding  vehicles, if I were to go the truck/trailer route I would want more than a F150 or GM1500 towing a 6600# trailer.  My buddy had a 2013 brand new F150 with I believe the 4.6V8 towing his 26' Jayco bunk house.  Even on rolling hills with just him and his girl friend aboard he could feel the power sap from the little V8.  He ditched the Ford for a 2014 Dodge with the larger Hemi motor.  Huge difference in power.  Another friend just last summer bought a 28' two year old class C as a former rental with 28K on miles at a local dealership for $49,000.  It looks and smell brand new.  The prices that you mention for former EL Monte rentals with a 100K + miles seem way out of wack.  Even mileage amounts seem high because rental companies will turn their units over quicker than 100K miles to keep the re-sale up.  Check out Cruise America in your area to see if they have any rigs for sale.  They generally use Four Winds class C's (Thor Mfg.). 

Good luck with your decisions.  Its not as scary or expensive as one might think on the outside looking in.  If you buy right, and there is Every indication you guys will, and you find that you don't care for the lifestyle after a season or two, well its not the end of the world.  You sell what you bought, sure you may lose a little money, what is guaranteed in life, and move on to whatever appeals to you and the fam then. 

Vincee80 said:
There are a lot of Craigs out there!   

Look at rigs with the idea of being stuck inside with your 2 kids for a couple of days because of inclement weather. 

My buddy had a 2013 brand new F150 with I believe the 4.6V8 towing his 26' Jayco bunk house. 

Check out Cruise America in your area to see if they have any rigs for sale.  They generally use Four Winds class C's (Thor Mfg.). 

Thanks for the answer! Sorry to disappoint you. ??? We did not buy the right truck but I'm confident that we will make it work somehow. (I'll explain billow)
We'll gonna have to shop around really well because we need a light trailer with as much space and privacy as possible. But we are not in a rush because he's heart is not 100% into this. Not yet.
With the kids is difficult anyway because they like to come and bother us anyway. So even in a big house, we end up all together, in a room.
The F-150 he got is 5.0 and the maximum towing capacity is 7500#. We have to find a lighter trailer around 5k#. Your friend's trailer dry weight was 6600#? Or everything on the track and towed by it was 6600?
I checked out Cruise America and their units had 120-130k miles on them.

Long story short he's giving up the lease and he bought a truck. Not the right one, but at list it can tow. He got the F-150 with bells and whistles. We had a terrible battle of the wits because he liked the lease car and he didn't want to switch to a truck because he hates them. But my parents could come and stay with us from time to time and we would have to go with both cars anywhere. The F-150 has 6 sits and we can all fit, even with lots of luggage.
After he gets rid of the lease we could save some money because this loan is cheaper than the lease. So we're making money not spending them on a smaller car.

If his heart is not 100% into what you are wanting to do maybe you should hold off a bit. Give him time to drive the truck a while, maybe he will end up liking it. Going into debt that far with a truck and a trailer may scare the crap out of him and he just don't want to tell you. My wife is, was like that, don't like going into debt. Now after 36 years with her I'm glad, because we have money put away and don't have any debt. Maybe you should keep looking and get something much older trailer wise. I see some older trailers around here that are pretty cheap, that just needs some elbow grease to make them nice. The coach I just bought in Nov. needs quite a lot of elbow grease to get it where I want it. But I bought it for 1/2 of what coachs like it are going for. I'll have it spiffed by summer.  Good luck, don't forget we're here to answer your questions. 

I could not believe my eyes when I looked at the older models sold in my native country. Some of them were almost as old as me and looked ok. They were made in Nederland or Germany but I'm sure that US older models are as good. They don't make them as they did used to... ;)
The way I see it is not impossible to squeeze the TT expenses in our budget. We don't go out that much, I cook from scratch, I don't buy clothes for myself and not so many for the kids, I do haircuts, nails& co. but when I dream, I dream big. So saving those money should mean something.
We didn't have any loans back in Romania, but here, the biggest one is for the house. We can't bypass that one. And the insurances... OMG the health insurance for the 4 of us is so so expensive... We just couldn't find a way to live cheap here, not yet. The other expenses seem tiny compared with the big ones.
I know that we should do this as a family because it will make some strong bonds. In a few years the older one will want to travel with her friends... But no hurry. I'll continue with the research meanwhile.
Thank you all for all the advice and encouragements. Will check back again for sure!

I have a question regarding the dealer fees. We found this TT: http://www.edwardsrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1418104&p=1&vc=travel%20trailer&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory
And they told us that they charge:
Freight Cost 1,141
Setup Fee 795
Doc Fee 149
So from $11,999 we end up with $14,084. Is it normal for a dealership to charge so many fees?
We'll not gonna get that TT because of those fees but just want to know what to expect from other dealers...

Here in Florida all car dealers add a "dealers fee" of between $200 and $1000 to any sale. Some salemen will lie to you and tell you it is a law. It is just a way make it look like they are pricing their cars lower than the competition. The only way to deal with it is to have them draw up the contract and then walk out the door and tell them you will return when they remove the bogus fees.

Yet another reason I avoid dealers and buy private party whenever possible... there often seems to be some fine print (the bad kind) or additional charges that you end up with at the dealership (i.e. "stealership" as they are called on other automotive forums I frequent).

If the advertised price seems too good to be true it probably is, no mater if it's private or dealer. Lots of scams out here these days. Most used trailers won't be as new either. Always something wrong with them if they were used very much.

scottydl said:
Yet another reason I avoid dealers and buy private party whenever possible... there often seems to be some fine print (the bad kind) or additional charges that you end up with at the dealership (i.e. "stealership" as they are called on other automotive forums I frequent).
Stealership... that's a good one! :D
SeilerBird said:
Here in Florida all car dealers add a "dealers fee" of between $200 and $1000 to any sale. Some salemen will lie to you and tell you it is a law. It is just a way make it look like they are pricing their cars lower than the competition. The only way to deal with it is to have them draw up the contract and then walk out the door and tell them you will return when they remove the bogus fees.
We found dealership fees of $300 but never payed them. On the used cars we bought we negotiate that fee down from the price and even get the price down. But the RV dealers don't negotiate the price down and some of them have this huge fees.
92GA said:
If the advertised price seems too good to be true it probably is, no mater if it's private or dealer. Lots of scams out here these days. Most used trailers won't be as new either. Always something wrong with them if they were used very much.
In my opinion as the price goes down with depreciation so the used TT's value should go down as well. I found a lot of used TT priced way above Nada's prices and the dealers don't even negotiate and add this ludicrous fees.
If a car loses 30% of the value in the first year, why the TTs keep their value even if they are affected by the weather, wear and tear, etc.? I'm pretty sure that in few years when we decide to sell the trailer we'll get half of the price we paid for it. :-\

So from $11,999 we end up with $14,084. Is it normal for a dealership to charge so many fees?

I wouldn't call it normal, but it is not unusual. Traditionally the "set-up fee" was included in the listed price, since the RV manufacturer includes an allowance for that in the dealer mark-up included in the MSRP. Taxes, state document fees, and delivery charges are not in the MSRP and are separately stated.  However, a dealers 'document fees" often go beyond what is paid to the state and includes their overhead cost for doing paperwork.

Price competition has led many dealers to quote artificially low prices by excluding necessary prep work and other costs, then adding them back in once you agree to buy. It is deceptive but not illegal as long as it is disclosed in the actual sales contract. Always get an "out the door" price before committing.

We're going back to the owner's route and hope to find something good for a fair price. We thought that the price was too good to be true but so it was. I'm gonna be patient and the right one will become available near our home.
Those dealers were so sneaky to quote a small price and ask for those huge fees. But they get enough costumers that don't research and shop around so they didn't bother to call us back. The price was ok for a new unit but I hate the deceiving business attitude.

We bought an used Rockwood for $9,000. The seller sold it w/ the hitch kit. He even trowed in an anti-theft system for the trailer and hoses, tools, etc. So we saved some money with that, too.
The sales tax will be smaller, no dealer fees or other hidden costs so it was a great idea to buy used.
We have to replace the tires, we found some Maxxis for around $380 for 4 w/ the installation included. We have to buy a new battery and to replace the grab handle, water hose, etc. But the repairs are not that big.
The quote for the insurance is $304 for a 1000 deductible.
The storage is $25/ mo.
So the numbers changed a lot since my first message. Thanks so much for the good advice.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom