Newcomer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly Boy

Hello everyone.
I am a newcomer to the site and RV's as well.  I am interested in purchasing an RV for two reasons.  First, we will be listing our home for sale soon and haven't found a new place yet, so will need a place to live should our home sell before we have found something.  Second, I am 57 and have retirement on the horizon.  Currently looking at 5th wheels but would love to hear your opinions.  I have been lurking on the site for a few days and registered this morning.  My truck is an '04 Ford F250 6.0L diesel that I have had the Bullet Proof Diesel conversion done.  Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.  I am a complete newbie so I may have follow up questions to your suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

Roger

I'm kind of new as well, I just upgraded from a bumper pull to a 5er, haven't taken delivery yet but am excited to get it out. What helped us in our decision was talking to other rvers and they all seem to say that a 5er is easier to pull and back up. Starting off with a diesel is the best way to go for sure I started with a gaser and spent way to much money on fuel. Shop around and find what ever suits your needs the best. Good luck and happy trails.

Welcome to the Forum!!

Read as many threads as the brain can comprehend.

The Library is a great source of information as well.

5er are generally larger with more storage than TT.  They do pull differently.  The 5er pits about 20% of its' weight into the truck bed from the pin.  With the pivot point over the axle, there is little "tail wagging the dog" as there is no leverage.  This does require MUCH MORE CCC or Payload.  With a TT, the truck only carries about 10% of the TT weight via tongue wt.

Sorry to say, but bullet proofing the motor does not change the suspension or braking.  That truck is likely incapable of towing a 5er with a GVWR much over 12,000#.

Find the yellow label on the driver door B pillar and get the "total weight of all cargo and passengers must not exceed  XXXX"  This the CCC or Payload FOR THIS VEHICLE.  IGNORE ANY NUMBER FOUND IN SOME CHART.

From the CCC, subtract 20% of the 5er  GVWR.  Subtract 200# for the hitch.  Subtract the weight of all passengers, pets and cargo.  If there is anything left, this is remaining CCC.  If this is a negative number, this is how far overweight you are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom