Night Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy New year

And going fishing in the morning, who needs an alarm. Only time my inner alarm goes off before the physical one does, when I go fishing. though these days I NEVER set any gal dang stupid alarm

Happy New year

And going fishing in the morning, who needs an alarm. Only time my inner alarm goes off before the physical one does, when I go fishing. though these days I NEVER set any gal dang stupid alarm

Amen to this grother! I still remember the first morning after I retired and slept through my "no alarm". I looked at the clock, and just laid there in bed and enjoyed it.

As for fishing, I haven't done night fishing in a while. But I dream about it all the time!

I , on the other hand enjoy running the lines about midnight. Keep the larger catfish and release the small ones. Back on the hill sitting by the fire, perhaps a wee dram of single malt scotch, just to take the chill off. (Only three fingers, although I do have large hands).

Cheers, all you outrageous story telling fishermen! I might not have been there, but you can count on me to confirm how large the "one that got away" was.
Happy 2024 and beyond.

My Dad was a coal miner and used to tell me the story of one of his fellow miners. They all picked up their Davey lamp from the lap room, and returned them when they got back to the surface. A quick look would tell if all the miners had returned from the coal face. One miner's lamp was often missing, but everyone knew he'd gone fishing. He'd lower his lamp into the river, attracting an unsuspecting trout. A tickle under the belly, and the trout was whisked out of the water.

My Dad was a coal miner and used to tell me the story of one of his fellow miners. They all picked up their Davey lamp from the lap room, and returned them when they got back to the surface. A quick look would tell if all the miners had returned from the coal face. One miner's lamp was often missing, but everyone knew he'd gone fishing. He'd lower his lamp into the river, attracting an unsuspecting trout. A tickle under the belly, and the trout was whisked out of the water.
:LOL: You know, except for the little thing about the Davey lamp not be waterproof.

:LOL: You know, except for the little thing about the Davey lamp not be waterproof.
Only if you insert it too low in the water, below the top of the chimney. FWIW I had that Davey lamp for many years, until I passed it along to my son a few years ago..

Only if you insert it too low in the water, below the top of the chimney. FWIW I had that Davey lamp for many years, until I passed it along to my son a few years ago..
Aye, true you didn't say underwater, only into the river. ;)

And for us non-coal miners, this is a Davy Lamp.

That Wiki article is only party correct:

"The lamp also provided a test for the presence of gases. If flammable gas mixtures were present, the flame of the Davy lamp burned higher with a blue tinge. Lamps were equipped with a metal gauge to measure the height of the flame. Miners could place the safety lamp close to the ground to detect gases, such as carbon dioxide, that are denser than air and so could collect in depressions in the mine; if the mine air was oxygen-poor (asphyxiant gas), the lamp flame would be extinguished (black damp or chokedamp). A methane-air flame is extinguished at about 17% oxygen content (which will still support life), so the lamp gave an early indication of an unhealthy atmosphere, allowing the miners to get out before they died of asphyxiation."

Gas ignited in the lamp and, as the flame went "up the chimney", it cooled and ignition was no longer supported.

When I worked in a gas-rich environment at a steel plant, all the electrical boxes had "wide" metal flanges. If ignition occurred inside the box, the flame cooled before reaching the surrounding (outside the box) atmosphere.

My Dad retired from the coal mines before I was born, thanks to pneumoconiosis (sp?) aka black lung disease, and started a new career. I recall him saying he was a fireman in the coal mines. I didn't pay a lot of attention or ask questions, and only in the last few years did some research. This is one of many articles I discovered on the role of the fireman in the coal mines.

My Dad retired from the coal mines before I was born, thanks to pneumoconiosis (sp?) aka black lung disease, and started a new career.
Here's a couple of photos of Dad's Davey lamp, currently at my son's home. Note that the lamps were individually numbered (his was #25). The lamp sat in Dad's home for many years in its condition the day he retired from the mines. One day he proudly showed me a clean/bright lamp; A friend had offered to buff it and Dad had agreed. I was a little disappointed that he/we lost the original condition. There are countless clean/bright fakes for sale in the gift shops around Wales.

Attachments

• IMG_10371.jpg
    IMG_10371.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_10331.jpg
    IMG_10331.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4
cool pics there, lots safer than the carbide headlamps they used at one time.
i still have my old carbide headlamp i used spelunking in the early 70's around Bloomington Ind.
used to get carbide at sporting good stores but not now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom