Nineties A class, what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jankees

My dad just bought a 1992 Bounder 34 for $7000,--. It seems to be in real good shape. For around $ 10.000,-- I see quite a few A class motor homes from that era on offer. I am starting to wonder if I would like to own one.

I am also wondering though if, considering the price and the age of the rigs, they can be technically sound? I don't mind a scruffy interior, that can all be sorted, but if you are constantly replacing mayor components like engine, tranny, brakes, diff, suspension, etc, that will get old soon. These are pretty big rigs and when things fail, you have to bring it in to have it worked on.

What do you think? Is it possible to find a nineties A class motor home for 10-15K that, with the right maintenance, will last for another 10 years of moderate miles? What should I look for? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jan-Kees

I would take the home to a good heavy truck shop to get the once over.  That being said, the chassis on these are very heavy duty rigs.  built for extreme use like dump trucks, fire trucks and the like.  motor home use is generally light duty compared to that.  Also most will have low miles compared to the year.  I changed all fluids on the 99 I bought.  It was not that expensive to do.  Trans flush(not a fluid change but a flush), oil, coolant flush, rear axle grease, all for about  $450.00.  I am partial to the ford, but the gm's were good to back then.  If you can get one with fuel injection you would be better off.  Carbs=problems in my opinion.  But anyway you go it is better to take your home with you than to pay all the hotel fees, breakfast lunch and dinner, etc.

If you have to take it to the shop for any and all repairs, an aged motorhome is probably not a good bet. Shop repairs are expensive and an older rig is going to need its share of repairs. These  older rigs can be quite good, but it's a pretty much continuous Do-It-Yourself project if you want to keep the costs in hand.

Thank you for your reply.

I can do all the interior and most of the exterior work myself. The mechanical work is another thing. I won't be able to do work on the main components like the engine, transmission, brakes, etc. Could you find a unit that is sound in that area or will you just find fixer uppers in that price range?

Jk

It is not unusual to find a 10 year old RV with low mileage, sometimes as low as 30-40k miles. The engine and tranny would be sound, though it would probably need all new belts and hoses. It can actually be a problem if a coach sat still too much - moderate use if better than seldom used because the internal seals and parts get lubricated regularly when in use. It also avoids flat spots in rubber components.

Old MHs vary widely in condition.

Chassis wise, you want to be aware of the condition of the brakes, steering, tires, and suspension as repairs in these areas are generally not DIY items, cost more than a car or pickup, and can easily add up to more than a major item like a transmission or engine.  One of the things to consider is that if you need a transmission or engine you at least have the option of used where if you have brake problems it's mainly labor you're paying for and so that alternative doesn't help much.

With the coach, water leaks and rot are the main thing to watch for, followed by the fridge ($1500).

It's very easy to end up with a repair bill in the thousands of dollars with a handful of seemingly minor and routine items - tires, brakes, maybe a tie rod or transmission seal.  In this light, you really do want to be picky and find the best older coach you can even if it's more expensive.  Don't be fooled into buying a cheap basket case.

That was very helpful to me. I have limited time to actually look for units. I'll spend three weeks in Florida this summer. I will have to pick a few posted mh's and have them checked by independent mechanics before I go see them. That will save me time looking at mh's that are not sound. It will also assure, as much as is possible, that I won't end up with a lemon or pay top dollar for a unit that needs costly work. Thanks!

Jankees said:
My dad just bought a 1992 Bounder 34 for $7000,--. It seems to be in real good shape. For around $ 10.000,-- I see quite a few A class motor homes from that era on offer. I am starting to wonder if I would like to own one.

I am also wondering though if, considering the price and the age of the rigs, they can be technically sound? I don't mind a scruffy interior, that can all be sorted, but if you are constantly replacing mayor components like engine, tranny, brakes, diff, suspension, etc, that will get old soon. These are pretty big rigs and when things fail, you have to bring it in to have it worked on.

What do you think? Is it possible to find a nineties A class motor home for 10-15K that, with the right maintenance, will last for another 10 years of moderate miles? What should I look for? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jan-Kees

For 10k you should get something in first class shape, inside and out. It will take a bit of looking but everything should work, you should not need any repairs. For 10k you should be able to put the key in a go after a check.

The bounder we once had cost around that amount and was super clean, well maintained and needed absolutely nothing to start Rving. It had new tires, everything worked perfectly. There were no rips, al the flooring was covered-no stains, the batteries were new, the generator worked. The pain on the outside while not new looked almost as good.

Be picky. No maintenance records-no sale. If the interior is ratty-look elsewhere. Old doesn't have to mean ill-maintained or not updated. Buyers market.

Do you have any tips how to go about looking for a good RV? I have tried rvtader.com and rvtraderonline.com. I have also looked at ppl.com. Its harder for me to go through the local adds. I will have three weeks in June of this coming summer to find a unit worth buying. I am looking at Four Winds Hurricanes, Bounders, Gulf Stream Sun Voyagers, Holiday Ramblers. If you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate it.

JK

Research research research, and only buy something that you know the complete history on.  We bought our '94 Thor Residency in June '07, a little worn down on the inside but that's because one of the 2 previous owners had lived in it full time.  That also meant we got upgrades and regular maintenance records, and a tranny that had already been rebuilt.  Miles were around 78k when we bought, and I've only put a few thousand on it.  I shopped (mostly online) for at least a year, and during that time narrowed down the exact make/model I wanted.  The Residency's have a side aisle floorplan unlike any other models of that era.  Once I knew what I was looking for, shopping was a whole lot easier because I didn't have hundreds to choose from.  When the right one came along, I knew it.  ;)  We paid $12k for a rig valued at $17k at the time, and drove from IL to NY (and back) to get it.

Brakes don't have to be replaced on motorhomes like they do cars (every 2-3 years), because they are used so rarely.  You drive much slower on average, a lot less stop-and-go driving, and make longer stops.  Suspension is something you'll want to get checked out by a shop that works on trucks/RVs.  I got a front end alignment and had a stabilizer bar straightened out shortly after buying, and that's all I've needed.  Tires on mine were only a year old upon purchase, make sure you know how to read tire manufacture date codes and don't buy anything that is anywhere near the 7-year mark - unless tire replacement is factored into your purchase price.  This forum is the best place to research and know exactly what to check out, test, and troubleshoot if & when you do start looking at rigs in person.  Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom