Nissan Titan diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylerfoster

Any experience or comments on Nissan Titan with the Cummings ? Rated as half ton but pretty good tow and cargo ratings.

I was looking at the Titan Diesel, however I cannot find a local dealer who has any 2016 or 2017's in stock. And I have read some have problems.

No dealer stock tells me don't think I'm interested.

Considered one but went with the proven F250, a 2017 model.  900+ on torque.  Nissan can't touch that.

the cargo rating is the same as any half ton approx 1200 - 1700 lbs depending on individual setup, 1/2 tons are not pulling friendly they are utility vehicles with a box meant for light loads

What is the point of a 1/2 ton diesel? :eek:

Who in the right mind would spend 40 or 50k, or whatever ridiculous amount of money they are asking, for a diesel fitted up to a truck that can't haul or tow anything more than a similar gas?

Small diesels are excellent for fuel economy, especially on heavier vehicles where a small gas engine doesn't perform all that well. Europeans have been running small diesels for years, e.g. the VW TDI. About 50% of the cars on the road in Europe are diesels, and we aren't talking F350 duallies either.

The American public is gradually outgrowing their fear of diesels (a result of a GM diesel debacle in the 70's) and all the major US car makers have small diesels in the works or already in the marketplace.

If you want fuel economy you don't purchase a pickup.  Not to mention I can purchase a lot of gas for the cost difference.

OK sure if you drive 100k miles a year it may pay off.

I will still pass.

Tylerfoster, being a died in the wool Nissan fan I really looked hard at the Titan XD (that's the one you're asking about I believe). Holey moley there are (were?) some serious problems with this platform. Pulls to the right, regardless of alignment efforts. Exhaust/diesel smells in the cab and no one is saying how those smells are getting in. Those are a couple of the biggies. I've only seen one actually on the road and I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner about his experience. Even Nissan didn't advertise it its first year of existence. I think it would be good for a lightweight trailer like a Lance or such, but unless they've resolved the original problems I mentioned I'd stay away from it. (And why I now have a 2500HD GMC)

I own a Titan XD Diesel Platinum Reserve, and have helped tow several 8,300 lbs TT's for a local RV company for a camper show.  I can tell you that the XD was built for towing, especially in the 7000-11000 lbs range, way better than any other 1/2 ton. This was the reason I bought one, because they are far more stable at towing than any other 1/2 ton I've driven. It has a lot of the components of a 3/4 ton, without the high numbers and price tag.  I can tell you that Hammster easily spent $55k on his truck or more if new (I know because my dad owns one).  I only paid $42k plus TTT, which came out to be $45k OTD (brand new) with a 5 year/100K bumper to bumper warranty.  As far as my towing experience, I pulled a brand new Sportstrek 372VIK, a new Cougar (forgot model) and a Keystone Bullet, which were all around 32-37 feet, weighing at 7200-8400 lbs.  Pulled it like it wasn't even there. Stock tow mirrors also come in handy. The XD has a feature where you can check all the lights after you've hooked the trailer up by using your key fob, which is nice if you don't have someone with you. My average MPG's during the tows were average at 11.  My daily driving MPG's are around 17-19, depending on traffic. The best I've seem was 21.8 MPG which was all interstate.  It isn't the greatest, but it isn't bad either!

As for the negatives, which all truck brands have, I only had a few since I've owned it.  I am one of the many who has the alignment issue that pulls to the right.  I've had them try to fix it 3 times, the last time was an improvement, but still not fully fixed.  It seems that every XD had the tailgate not work properly when purchased, but that was an easy fix from the dealership. You can get the exhaust smells in the cab during Regens, however, if you put the A/C controls on recirculate, it fixes the problem (obviously not the long term solution).  They do have a small fix for it, but some complain it still smells.  I don't notice it as I leave mine on recirculate.  I also get the occasional "hard shifts" when upshifting from 1-2 and 2-3, but I've gotten used to it.  They came out with a TCM and ECM flash to help fix the shifting issues.  I personally don't consider any of these "biggies" because Nissan is addressing the issues. As for the XD being a first year model, of coarse it has some bugs/fixes that are still being worked out, but the truck is awesome.  It rides really nice, feels luxurious, has a lot of the top end accessories, tows excellent, and the price was great for the capabilities of the truck.  Obviously, it isn't a 3/4 ton truck, but is definitely better than the 1/2 ton trucks, IMO.  It truly is a 5/8 truck, which is exactly what I was looking for.  Hope this helps answer any questions you had.

Phantom XD said:
I own a Titan XD Diesel Platinum Reserve,

Thanks for your input. Those negatives were just too much for me to pull the trigger on the XD. Glad you are enjoying yours and are willing to work with Nissan on those problems.

Regarding price of my GMC Sierra Denali, I paid way south of $55K for mine. Granted, I had a good trade in, but even if I had paid more I do feel I got a bit more truck than what the XD was offering.

I really do hope the XD becomes somewhat of a "big 3" buster as that would be good for the industry as a whole. And, who knows, I'll always be a Nissan fan so if I'm ever in the market for another tow vehicle, the XD could certainly be in the running.

TonyDtorch said:
America !...  making Japan great,  one car at a time.....

The Titans are probably more American than GMC. Certain models of Sierra are built in Mexico. "Though the Titan wears a Nissan badge, it is an all-American truck, designed in California and engineered in Arizona and Michigan. The truck is built in Mississippi while the engine is manufactured in Tennessee."
Link to article - http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/nissan_titan_2016

Hammster said:
The Titans are probably more American than GMC. Certain models of Sierra are built in Mexico. "Though the Titan wears a Nissan badge, it is an all-American truck, designed in California and engineered in Arizona and Michigan. The truck is built in Mississippi while the engine is manufactured in Tennessee."
Link to article - http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/nissan_titan_2016

woo hoo !  another "Assembled" in America vehicle by the helpful Honda people...and where does all the profit go ?

if there a was a really good truck made by a North Korean company...would you buy one ?

TonyDtorch said:
woo hoo !  another "Assembled" in America vehicle by the helpful Honda people...and where does all the profit go ?

This may answer your question regarding profits. And, I imagine you could be a shareholder so you can get some of that overall Nissan profit. However, a lot stays here in the US. US taxes are paid. Imagine all of the American suppliers who get paid by Nissan for their products and services. All of those suppliers make profits and all of that stays here. Much of the overseas profits stay here because it is less expensive for these companies to keep the money here.  Anyway, read this article - https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/foreign-cars-made-in-america-where-does-the-money-go.html

But, profits really aren't the point. All those are for are for shareholders and company bigwigs. And, perhaps, if there are any profit sharing bonuses that filter down. And, of course, reinvesting in new equipment and facilities and providing jobs. Let's look at what the companies are doing for the American economy and various suppliers that supply these auto companies. Read that link, it seems to give a good explanation of modern business practices especially as it pertains to "foreign" companies operating in the US.

companies are ultimately controlled by consumers.    There are many beautiful cities built by American consumer dollars all over in Japan.

Hey !.... maybe the  'Helpful Honda People'  could buy Detroit...  and fix it all up for us.

someone should call them and tell them about this great idea for a new TV commercial !    :)

I read that article    . Here is a quote from it...." With Ford Motor Company and General Motors, DuBois argues, the majority of the company's shareholders are in the U.S., "and the profits go to the central coffers and are paid out" to mostly U.S. shareholders. With a foreign carmaker such as Honda, Kia or Porsche, the profits primarily go back to shareholders in their home countries... "

TonyDtorch, What vehicle do you own? If you are a Ford fanboy, then your trash talk about other companies means nothing as Ford assembles a lot of their trucks in Mexico. As Hammster was trying to point out, Nissan Trucks are built here in America, therefor supporting American people with jobs, regardless who ultimately profits the money.  The truck is well built and has a great engine made by Cummins.  Hammster, sometimes there is no point in even arguing with some people. It's like arguing with a child.  They think they know it all and you can't prove them wrong.

I stand corrected, they canceled their Mexican plant for trucks, but are still making other small vehicles in Mexico still.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-cancels-mexican-plant-still-moving-small-car-production-n702761

Phantom XD said:
Hammster, sometimes there is no point in even arguing with some people...

Yeah, my last post to Tony was my last post to him so no argument just supplying facts. Tony can learn from them or not. His choice.

I do apologize to OP for the hijack, however. Hopefully the thread can get back on track.

tylerfoster said:
Any experience or comments on Nissan Titan with the Cummings ? Rated as half ton but pretty good tow and cargo ratings.
looks like you been hijacked.
Good stout 1/2 ton truck with a good tow rating but payloads more in line with a std duty 1/2 ton truck.
Its a competitor with the Fords F150HD 7850 -8200 GVWR and 4800 rawr/10k-11k tow ratings.

The Titan XD has a 8xxx GVWR and a 4900 rawr however its so heavy it can't match the F150HD 3000 lb GVWR based payloads. Its a heavy built truck and should last for many years and last several hundred k miles.

At 310/555 hp/torque it will have no problems pulling a trailers within its tow rating.

Longhaul, I would agree about the payloads on the XD. They aren't as impressive as others, but I think this truck is severely underrated on those numbers. Granted the payload is lower than competitors, it is still a much more stable truck when towing heavy loads compared to a new Ford's lightweight body, or even RAM and GM's.  The XD has a lot of 3/4 components to it such as a heavy duty rear axle, etc. 

Read the article for more details, but here's a quote from it.
"Nissan didn’t really straddle the line as much as they cherry picked things from the 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton segments and mashed them all into the same truck. We get a fully boxed 3/4-ton frame, 1-ton rear axle, 1-ton transmission, and a school bus diesel engine. Nissan mated the heavy-duty parts to a suspension tuned like a 1/2-ton suspension and steers the whole thing around with a recirculating ball steering rack like you see in the F-350."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/2016-nissan-titan-xd-towing-58ths-ton-truck/

Back
Top Bottom