No destination, just the journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayzgoose

I plan to be on the road in August for two or three years...or maybe forever. I don't have a destination in mind, but some places along the way I'd like to stop sometime. I'll be fulltime, if that isn't obvious.

Anyway, I joined Great RV Escapes that seem to have a pretty good directory of 17,000 campgrounds but on the upper end of what I want to spend. I'm looking for places that I can park for a week or two and get to know the people and area, then move on to another.

1. Anybody have experience with Great RV Escapes? They were reasonable to join, so I'm not too concerned about having misspent my money ($97 for four years).
2. Do you have anyplace I MUST NOT MISS!? I'm starting from Seattle, headed generally south and/or east (what other choices do I have?)

Thanks for your wisdom and wit.
Wayzgoose

Yep! Places not to miss- Stay off the Interstate as much as possible. Stop at every "Must See" sign and "Worlds Biggest" sign. Pull over every time you see a beautiful vista and take a picture (then post them here! ;D)

Visit all the little backwater towns you can stand. Drive 200 miles out of your way when the oldtimer at the gas station tells you about his secret spot.

Stop and smell the roses, pines, sage, grass, manure....

while heading East, when you hit water, turn around and repeat!

Enjoy and don't rush!

You can't go wrong visiting National Parks and Monuments, many state parks are also great. Was in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada today, blew me away the colors and patterns of sandstone.

You pretty much described my intended journey, CaptSteve. It's all about seeing this land and not about 'getting somewhere.' Can't tell you how excited I am to see 'mile 1' click over on my rig.

Raytronx, Valley of Fire is one of my favorite parks. The canyons, rocks, petroglyphs, petrified logs . . . all just amazing. I'm looking forward to returning.

Also hoping to spend some time in Yellowstone. Last time I was there, I just "drove through." Everyplace I go, I plan to spend longer at, whether it's a National Park or the biggest ball of twine in the world or the best cup of coffee in town.

Never been there but the grand canyon is on my bucket list. If you have never seen Niagara Falls, its a must. Dont forget that little country north of you either. I live in Ontario, and in the fall the leaves are spectacular. I suppose the northern states would be simular in the fall. I love the east coast of Canada. The Bay of Fundy is amazing with the highest tides in the world. The Cabot trial in Cape Breton is rated one of the top 5 drives in the world. Awesome scenery. If you are year round you will probably want to tour the north in summer, then head south with the snowbirds in the fall. Sounds like an adventure. Good luck on your travels.

Hwy. 1 south of Monterey at least as far as Cambria.  Pfiffer Burns State Park....the only place in the world where a waterfall "naturally" dumps in to the ocean!  It's viewable from a short 50 yd. hike down the trail....
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6014/5979539653_449dc257aa_z.jpg

Staff edit: Make URL live

If you want a non-interstate Coast to Coast route consider US-50. US-20 is another good route, but I have never found a web-site for the whole route. It is the one that John Steinbeck describes in his novel Travels with Charlie.

Do you have anyplace I MUST NOT MISS!?

Yes, the entire U.S.A. and Canada is not to be missed.  Just go wherever you feel like going on any day and you'll find more than enough to keep you busy for the rest of your life!  ;D

In addition to all the parks for natural phenomena and history, check out some of the factories where you can see neat things made.  For example, Canada has the largest aluminum smelter in North America.  We also toured all kinds of lumber related plants in B.C. such as one making oriented strand board.  If you Google Watch It Made in the USA you'll find both a book and a website.

Enjoy your new life.

ArdraF

I agree with Ardra.  All of the USA and Canada should be explored.  During our 15 years of full-time travel, we absolutely destroyed every preconceived notion we ever had about most of the places we visited.  We rarely made reservations and only came close to not finding a space once (in Valdez, AK).  Some of our favorite stops were the result of sheer serendipity.  There is an incredible amount of very diverse beauty in the USA and Canada.

Margi

raytronx said:
You can't go wrong visiting National Parks and Monuments, many state parks are also great. Was in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada today, blew me away the colors and patterns of sandstone.

Valley of Fire State park in Nevada is by far one of my favorite spots and a must see!

To the OP - all back roads is a good plan and ask the locals where to go to take the best picture of the area and then GO THERE! That is one of my favorite activities...

Don't be in a hurry and spend enough time in an area to really live like a local and see everything!

I travel with what I cal an AREA PLAN - head for an area and find a place I like then spend time there and enjoy....

Good Luck and keep us informed of your activities.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom