No horn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

Went for my state annual safety inspection today and discovered my horn is inop.  It made a weak sound just as the inspector first mashed the appropriate area on the padded steering wheel, but we got nothing after that.  I have used the horn a few times over the past 18-months, but it seems dead in the water now.

I got out my chassis manual and see that a fuse might be the culprit.  But the initial weak horn sound seems to rule out a fuse, but I am not positive of that diagnosis.  I will check the fuse tomorrow, but if it is not the fuse I can't even locate the horn inside my engine compartment.  I will go through the simple stuff first, but if this problem is in the steering wheel I guess a trip to the Ford dealership is the next option.

Anybody ever have horn problems?  Can you give me any suggestions? 

There is likely a horn relay involved as the current for a horn is likely too high to draw through the mickey mouse contacts in the steering wheel itself. Look in the fuse box for a relay. If you find one, put a finger on it while someone tries the horn, you may 'feel' it operating.

Then check for a ground at the horn itself  (once you find it!!). It may be located behind the grill outside the engine compartment.

Considering you got some sound, but weak, says you do have the circuit, but either horn is bad, or ground is bad.  Dind the horn, pull the power lead off, and test for voltage.  If 12 volts, it is horn itself or ground.  To fix ground, the horn is usually grounded to chassis by the mounting of it.  Un mount, clean area and remount.  Still no horn, get a used one at the salvage yard. 

Here's another option. Install and air horn inside the front grill area. You can get them at any auto part store for less than $50. and it is real loud.

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone.  I have a kidney infection that has put me under the weather for a few days, but I'm on the mend and will be able to check your ideas and suggestions soon.  Thanks to everyone for such great responses.  This site is the best!

Horn problem? That made me think. I have owned my RV for over 6yearsnow. When did I use my horn the last time? I can't remember.

I think I used it twice to wave at my neighbor walking down the street. :)

I suppose my name is not "Captain Hornblower".

carson

[quote author=carson]I think I used it twice to wave at my neighbor walking down the street.[/quote]

I was having lunch with a friend of a friend recently and he was still seething over this story:

He was driving through his somewhat upscale neighborhood recently when he saw a Sheriff's car parked on the opposite side of the road. As he went by, he honked his horn and gave a friendly wave. The flashing lights went on and he was pulled over. The deputy told him it was only legal to honk the horn in a very small number of situations (can't recall what they were), and waving to someone was not one of them. Pretty soon reinforcements arrived - another couple of deputies and a sergeant. He pleaded his case, but the bottom line was a nice fine, although the Sheriff's department doesn't actually have jurisdiction over that neighborhood road - the CHP does.

So, be careful who you wave to Carson. It might even be Captain Hornblower himself.

Hee Hee Hee, Tom. You mad up that story, didn't you... ;D ;D

I am still chucklimng while typin this post..    ::)

Carson FL    (Good story, even if tru)

LOL Carson, I couldn't have made that up. I'd made a lunch reservation with a friend, and he turned up with his friend who I'd never met before. They both live in the same neighborhood (not ours). As we were waiting for food, my friend leaned over to his friend and said "tell Tom the story". What I posted here was actually the sequel, but his first horror story had nowt to do with honking his horn.

Way too long a story for here Carson, and has little relevance. Maybe a campfire story.

As the OP posted, he needed the horn for his safety check, the 'I never use it' is not a valid defense for a non working horn.  As to the air horns, until you know why your original is not working, the air horn is not needed.  I don't think it would get him by his safety check either, airs are not looked upon in urban situations.

Tom's right about the police, I got a ticket at 18 for improper use of an emergency device (blowing the horn) right after high graduation.

midnightbluel81 said:
Tom's right about the police, I got a ticket at 18 for improper use of an emergency device (blowing the horn) right after high graduation.

ouch, thats really harsh on the police end.
but yes the horn is essential as its one of those components on a vehicle that is not always used but essential just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom