No one knows how to fix my cruse control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyjohn

On my 2004 Four Winds 32' Class A Infinity with the F53 Ford V-10 Triton engine Motorhome the cruse just stopped working. Have had it to three mechanics and not one can figure out why it just stopped working. One mechanic (he is a good one) had it for two weeks and it just drove him crazy and he just gave up. Any one else have this problem on their Ford F53 power train? Hate to go without cruse. Just do not know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Newer cruise controls are run through the ECM, so I would suspect the problem is a Failing ECM

Where are the controls to activate the cruise control? If on the steering wheel a common failure point would be the clock spring. Which is contacts that rotate with steering wheel.

Another common failure is the brake light switch. Stuck or momentary can cause cruise to drop out.

kyjohn said:
Have had it to three mechanics and not one can figure out why it just stopped working.

Take it to a Ford dealer. They will have an instrument that will analyze your cruise control problem and pin-point exactly what is causing the problem. Ford dealers may be somewhat more expensive that your "three mechanics" but they will correctly identify the problem.

R

Yes, it is on the steering wheel. He did have the steering wheel off but do not know what either of them (mechanics) did to try to find the problem. Might just have to take to a Ford dealer. Would not hurt for sure. Thanks' for all the advice. Will have them all checked out.

kyjohn said:
Donn, what is a ECM?

Engine Control Module.  Actually, these days, it's a PCM....or Powertrain Control Module, as it controls a great deal more than just engine functions.  The cruise may also be dependent upon the BCM, or body control module for inputs too.  Again, with the proper diagnostic tools, the dealer will pinpoint the issue.  But as mentioned above, it may be something as simple as a brake switch, bad connection at the servo, or switch in the steering wheel.  Troubleshoot, don't guess. 

Also the switches on the steering wheel are a high failure item, I need to get mine changed soon as it is intermittent. :)

On some of the ford cruise controls the installed a fuse under the hood in series with the brake switch on the master cylinder..

If there was s short in the steering wheel it blew the this fuse. This was a fix for the "fires" in earlier fords. May have been carried over. I know it lasted from 94 thur several years as I had the problem in 95 truck. It may have been put into the actual design later...

Does it have a exhaust leak? My dads gone through 2 or 3 sets of exhaust manifolds on his truck and every time one cracks the cruise stops working within days.......

Also, the Ford dealers can go into the computer and verify if the cruise control is "turned on" in the system.

I bought a 2005 Ford F150 XL that didn't have cruise. Simple installation...put the switches in the steering wheel, go into the computer and turn cruise on.

Might be worth the diagnostic charge at the local Ford shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom