Noise in water system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camojeep

Everytime a faucet or the toilet is turned on there is a loud "hum".  This only happens when we are hooked in the park/city water systems.  The noise continues as along as the water is running(on).  Still have good water flow at all faucets.  This rv is 2012 Itasca Sunova 36V.  This noise seems to be getting louder. 
Anyone have any suggests?

Probably a check valve, perhaps where the shore water hose attaches. I have one at my hose reel that hums a bit.  It may lock down some day. When mine did I removed it, freed it up, and it continues to work great.

Yep, Paul is right. I had one in the water heater that started making a buzzing noise. It got a lot louder, then went away one day. Odds are that it finally just failed.  Never made a lick of difference. 

What a timely topic. Mine does the same thing. I only hear it in the commode room, most likely because it is directly over the wet bay. I guess I'll be getting it changed.

mrschwarz said:
What a timely topic. Mine does the same thing. I only hear it in the commode room, most likely because it is directly over the wet bay. I guess I'll be getting it changed.
My noisy one was on the water heater.

On mine, it goes BANG, every time we turn on any water when dry camping

I have the same thing.. Sounds like it is coming from the water heater area.. Had the check valve replaced.  Still humming!

I also have a hum on my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE when a faucet is open or the toilet is flushed.  Just recently had the city water/tank fill valve replaced because water was seeping into the water tank when the valve was set to city water.  Still have the hum.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but what is a check valve and the purpose of this valve?

marbilupton said:
I have the same thing.. Sounds like it is coming from the water heater area.. Had the check valve replaced.  Still humming!
There's two check valves on the water heater - did they replace both?

rossi6998 said:
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but what is a check valve and the purpose of this valve?
Check valve only permits water to flow in one direction.  For the specific function, it would depend on where Winnie installed it in the plumbing system.

I've got a 2012 Adventurer - the unit developed the buzz or whine last summer.  At first it was hard to hear - when sink, bath or show faucets where used when hooked up to city water.  Did research and changed out the city water input check valve - where the hose attaches.  I also up graded my water pump at the same time.  Figured I had the problem fixed, but when I hooked up the RV to city water at my house, I had the buzzing noise at a lot higher level both when filling the tank and also when operating any faucet inside the coach.  The piping around the water fill attachment and the fill tank/city water valve appear to be the source of the noise.  I've got a new tank/city water valve on order, but somehow I do not think this is going to cure the situation.

I really did think it was the fill connection as every time I would remove the cap to screw in the hose, there would be water in the cap.  I do not get the water in the new connection.    THERE MUST BE ANOTHER check valve or something in the system that no one has found.  I've not had it to a Winnebago dealer as the only one here locally is Camping World and my experiences with them have been less than happy ones.    I guess eventually I'll have to got back to Tom Johnson's in Charlotte or try my luck with the Winnebago Service line.

There are also check valves in the water heater lines.  Mine started to buzz early on. If you can reach the lines you can remove them. If not they will stop buzzing eventually when the spring on the check ball finally fails. 

marbilupton said:

If you have the single valve winterizing system that most Winnebagos have, there are two check valves involved - one on the input and one on the output . Maybe they replaced the wrong one.

I also have a 2011 Itasca Sunova that has always had a hum when on city water. As others have said, the single lever bypass on the water heater requires check valves, or backflow preventers on the input and output of the water heater. one or the other started to chatter badly when first turning the water on so I replaced both valves the other day, still hums. It's not really annoying and I've decided it's just the nature of the beast.

Back
Top Bottom