Noisy Air Conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My neighbor just came in from MA and the CG moved their trailer out of storage. They started one of their AC's and after running a couple of minutes, it started making a loud noise. I went up on the roof and removed the cover and was looking for maybe a nest of mud wasps on the fan but nothing. When I'd move/push the compressor either way, the noise would go away. Finally, I moved/bent one of the pipes just a little coming off the compressor and voila, no more noise. The pipe must have been hitting some sheet metal in an area I could not see. Love fixes like that. Hope this helps someone else.

One other thing, they think, their front AC is not cooling like it was last year. I know the answer for my question has been answered here but a quick look, I couldn't find the answer.  What should the difference in temperature be from the inlet air to the outlet air. I want to say it should be about 20 degrees but not sure. Thanks

Most RVs with two A/C units have this "problem",, most two system arrangements have one room larger than another and the larger room will not be as efficient as the smaller room.>>>Dan  (To farther elaborate, the larger room will always take longer to cool and as such will work harder longer with resulting more wear to the compressor and fan motors.. Wear reduces efficiency and will be noticed.>>>)

Utclmjmpr said:
Most RVs with two A/C units have this "problem",, most two system arrangements have one room larger than another and the larger room will not be as efficient as the smaller room.>>>Dan

You lost me Dan. The bigger unit in the L/R works fine. The one in the bedroom, which may be a 13,500 BTU AC, is the one they think may not be operating correctly. That's why I was asking what the different temperatures would be so I can check it with a thermometer. It may be that if it indeed a smaller unit, it won't be putting out as much cold air as the L/R AC and they may be thinking they have a problem. I just want to check the temperature difference of the warm air going in versus the cold air coming out. What should that difference be.

Update: I just check my AC in my bedroom for the heck of it, which is a 13,500 BTU AC, and the air going into it was 70 degrees ans the cold air coming out was 52 degrees. So the difference/delta was 18 degrees. Does that sound about right?  I think mine is running just fine.

RE: Noise.
I had a unit that was noisy. The next time in to my RV guy I mentioned it. Thought I may need a new one so we could get some sleep. He found a defective component, possibly a start capacitor that was causing the unit to be noisy. Now we sleep better.

Buzzing noise is more painful. i can't tolerate it any way ......... if i get the permanent solution will be grate. 

Today was "Roof day" meaning I went up with tools and pulled the cover off my Coleman A/C (4 screws with washers) and  cleaned off the condenser coils.  THe other unit has had frequent cleaning all summer so did not need it.  THe coleman is now running so quiet I can barley hear it (it normally rumble a bit when it needs cleaning)

Then I mopped ther roof

Then I ceaned half the RV (Curb side and rear)
Tomorrow after I get more cleaning solution I do the other half.

Tuesday is Wax on Wax off

Wed is change campgrounds

That time of year (I do this 2x a year)

Back
Top Bottom