Non-commercial class A written test in CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Foto-n-T said:
Also,for those that are of the opinion that since because your state doesn't require additional licensing for a heavy RV then you're gonna be just fine driving it someplace like California you might get a surprise.  Case in point:  In Arizona it's legal to have tinted windows on the front doors, in California it's not.  The defense of "My vehicle is registered in AZ and I'm licensed in AZ therefore I can drive with tinted windows in California" definitely won't work in court.  I worked as a contractor for CHP and San Bernadino County Sheriffs Office a decade or so ago.  In numerous conversations with officers they noted with humor how much money the state made from AZ vehicles entering with tinted windows, that and the fact that those same windows were automatic probable cause to pull over a car on the interstate.

That's a vehicle equipment violation, not a driver's license issue.

I'm a recently new Nevada resident, and this state requires a Class J endorsement on a Class C license for any trailer or 5th wheel over 10,000 lbs.  Yet California drivers towing a 12,500 lb. 5th wheel with their state's non-endorsed Class C license aren't violating the law.

This is due to reciprocity between the states as stated in Article IV, Section 1 of the US Constitution.  Basically, if you're properly licensed to drive the vehicle (or combination) in your home state, you're also OK to drive it in other states.

You can still be cited if your VEHICLE doesn't comply with a state's requirements, but you're OK from a driver's license standpoint.

sightseers said:
The way the law is written you can drive any motorhome (housecar) under 40 foot...no weight limit, with a standard Class C license.

you can tow any trailer up to 10k with a Class C license.

The 10 to 15K trailer tow law is the brake off point between non-com Class B and Class A.

Any trailer over 10k requires a B....any trailer over 15K requires a Class A non commercial license and CHP does enforce that law on CA registered vehicles.

Actually, CA's Class C (or Class B) towing limit is 6000 lbs. or less actual gross weight (not GVWR) if your towing vehicle weighs less than 4000 lbs unladen, or 10K GVWR for a house trailer or 9000 lbs actual gross weight for other trailers if the tow vehicle weighs more than 4000 lbs unladen.  This is a recent change from the former 10K GVWR blanket ball hitch trailer weight limit.

Both license classes are allowed to tow a 5th wheel trailer up to 15,000 lbs GVWR.

Where you need a Class B or Class A license is if your motorhome exceeds 40 ft.  Below that you're OK with a Class C, as long as you don't exceed the above towing limits.  Tow more than 10K with a bumper pull hitch and you'll need a Class A license, not Class B.

Above these limits, or towing more than one trailer, requires a Class A license.  Whether the Class A or Class B license is commercial or non-commercial depends on whether or not you're towing for hire.

And again, if you're properly licensed to drive your vehicle in your home state, you're also OK in California as long as the vehicle complies with CA's rules.  For example, Nevada allows double towing behind a ball hitch on the first trailer, CA requires the first trailer to have a 5th wheel hitch.  You can be cited for a vehicle violation if you tow NV licensed ball hitch double trailers in CA.

That's where CA's CHP is catching AZ drivers for the tinted windows ... as a vehicle violation, not for having an improper driver's license.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom