Norcold, again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absorption refrigerators can, and do, work at altitude. On four of our trips west, we spent a week each camped at the Bald Mountain camp ground (Big Horn N.F.), which is at an altitude of 9200 feet. Our Dometic (don't remember the model) fridge worked as well as it does at home in Illinois.

Joel

The ultimate solution is to get rid of it and go to a counter-top household fridge assuming you have the space. I had nothing but grief with mine and wasted $1,000 on repairs and lost time over the years. A grand day in my life was when I watched the Lowe's delivery guys unload our Frigidaire and load up the removed Nocold in their delivery truck.
you and me both, I removed our norcold (only 2 years old) and replaced with a magic chef, couldn't be any happier.

I for one will keep the Norcold. i have swapped out the OEM cooling unit for Helium, added extra exhaust fans, and added an internal circulation fan, not those stupid fans on a plate that hardly do anything. I maintain 34 degrees in the box in 65 external degrees or 110, doesn't matter.

As for powering a residential; I have 1/2kw on the roof with 4ea. T-145 batteries, but with bedtime running around 2AM with TV, Sat Rx, PC, heaters, a few lights, etc., I can easily be at 65% in the morning, and its just not worth the extra load. Doesn’t mean I can’t swap, but why?

Running on shore power: same 2006 OEM board, no signs of heat or charring anywhere. Making sure those spade luge are TIGHT makes all the difference.

As far as altitude is concerned, Norcold quietly changed the 1200 burner several years ago by adding a 4th mix hole, thats why they now sound like a jet and constantly pop (backfire). And I have never gotten them to admit that 4th hole is even there, they simply say they reserve the right to make changes. Anyway, the way to fix the pop, and quiet the damn thing down at sea level; I added a small SS hose clamp and slide it over the holes until the flame dejour is achieved. Higher altitudes? Go out and change the mix! Problem solved.

Dan a wire is not the best tool to remove carbon buildup from a precision mixture orifice. It's best to remove the orifice, soak in carb cleaner then use your tooth brush and blow-dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom