Norcold - L1-oP error code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had several LiOP error codes not associated with a true high temperature situation and have written up and illustrated the solution - it is attached

Attachments

• Norcold LiOP.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 76
Magnet! Our Norcold fridge had this code pop up last night at bedtime, I went outside with a magnet and ran it across the the sensor on the back of the fridge, (there?s a red light on the sensor that?s how you will know where the sensor is) and fixed the error code, total repair time 2 minutes.

"Fixed" is perhaps a bit misleading.  What you did was clear the fault condition, i.e. eliminated the warning.  If it was a false alarm, that's all that was needed and all is good, but if there really was an overheat condition, it will re-appear.  Perhaps with an accompanying fridge fire...

The reason Norcold doesn't include a reset button is that somebody is supposed to determine the cause of the L1-0p fault before resetting it.  I'll grant that the Norcold overheat device is prone to false alarms, though.

I was one day away from my first trip of the season when I discovered that my Norcold would not operated on propane or electric. The Li-Op fault code was being displayed.  My manual said that it required dealer service.  I check all of the spade lugs for oxidation and then noted that the LiOp control had a steadily lit LED.  I disconnected the 12V and reconnected it to no avail.  It had not occurred to me to check the  RV forum next.  Instead, I called by RV repair shop who was booked out for several weeks.  I asked to speak to a technician who might give me a tip to try. The shop owner took my call and  told me to take a magnet and put it directly over the LED and hold it there 1.5 minutes or until I heard a click- then move the magnet ever so slowly to the right.  He claimed that this alone would reset the switch.  And, sure enough this worked like a charm. There was no need to remove the cover as was stated in posts here. This couldn't have been simpler.

I keep my RV stored under a cover all winter, so I know it did not get wet then, but perhaps with the rain and wind we have seen here the past month some may have entered through the access panel.  It makes me wonder if there isn't some way to better seal the housing on this to better inhibit the intrusion of moisture.

As Gary pointed out this is a safety item so it is important to ascertain that the system is not really overheated before resetting the switch.  In my case it had not been run in months and was dead cold, so I knew this had to be a false reading.  I now carry a magnet with me that I can easily locate if this happens again.

We have a Toy hauler Raptor with a Norcold 2118 series.  Last night and this morning we severe rain, hail and wind.  The way the 5th wheel is parked it was getting slammed on the side of the access panel to the refrigerator.    I happen to be walking by doing chores and heard a beeping sound coming from inside and noticed it was the refrigerator with a L1 op error code.  The RV is 4 months old so this is the first time this has happened.  I turned it off waited about 2 minutes and it kicked back on and then the code came back on.    So looked at the manual and of course it's a dealer issue so I found this sight and I read that this is a common issue.  I kept reading and noticed that a magnet was mentioned so I thought what the heck.    It was working fine until the storm.  I placed the small magnet over the red LED light and within 20 seconds I heard a click and the refrigerator started up and running  waited for about 5 Min's and still running.  Thank you for this site and the person that did the footwork to post how to resolve the L1op error due to excessive moisture and static electricity

Hi gang,

New to the thread. I have a 93 Carrie Lite with the Norcold N641R.

I came home to the LO op code and after looking at this thread, I was able to reset it with the button between the wires.

I am concerned at how hot the stack is coming out of the burn box. Using my meat probe, I had 223 degrees.

How hot is normal operation? I am in AC mode with temp set at '5'

The boiler temperature is about 350 F., so an external measure of the stack temperature could easily be in the 220's. The overheat sensors provided by Norcold are typically set to trip around 800F, just short of disaster.  I highly recommend installing an ARP Fridge Defend monitor which continuously monitors the boiler and shuts it down early if there is a temporary overheat. Unlike the factory sensor, the Fridge Defend restarts the fridge once the boiler returns to normal.

https://www.arprv.com/

Back
Top Bottom