norcold refrigerator not turning on on franklin 2003 travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

Just bought a 2003 Franklin travel trailer  everything works perfect, but refrigerator not working at all, I have trailer hooked up 120/240 volts as required tanks of propane are full . I have checked for power  ac power is present going from 120v reduced down to 12volts maybe a fuse  box  I have found around 5 fuses  ranging from 30 to 15 amps light is not coming on when door is open.  On button after reading instructions  doing nothing. Maybe a reset button, a separate fuse box, a switch ?  please help

Welcome to the group!!!

Do you have a charged house battery installed too?

On many models, in the back of the refrigerator and accessed through the outside panel, there is a small (black) box with wires going in and out of it. There should be 3-4 glass tube type fuses in there. Check them out, one is for 12V (5 amp or so), the other 120V so be careful. The model number of the Norcold would be useful information for any future questions. Let us know how you make out!!

The refrigerator requires 12v power to operate, even when on shore power, so make sure there is power to the circuit board. There is usually a fuse on the fridge circuit board as well.  Open the outside access panel and you should be able to see the 12v power wire to the circuit board - check for voltage there.

If you have voltage to the circuit board but still no lights or working controls, maybe the board is bad. Many fridges have two boards, a main one plus a smaller one for the actual control panel. A disconnected wire to the secondary board, or a bad board, could cause your symptoms.

What model of fridge? Service manuals are available at http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

Many Norcold models have had an add-on fire-safety interlock module installed, as a result of a major safety recall.  If there is a small black module with a red indicator light glowing, that is the reason for no power. The "recall box" is infamous for false alarms, but it may also have tripped because the cooling unit boiler overheated.  If you have this little black box with a glowing red light, let us know and we can discuss resetting it and the risks involved.

I would completely check out to insure power is actually getting to the refrigerator.  Your post indicates 120/240 AC power and 30 Amp Circuit Breakers are you sure this is correct. Most 30 Amp trailers are 30A 120V NOT 120/240.

FWIW, On an 10 year old trailer, I had to replace the crimp connections(12V) going to the controls in the back of the refrigerator due to corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom