North To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carry a couple of LaBatts so you can tell Canadian customs the beer is theirs. ::)

Ok, back to having a partially good internet.  I think we would go back to Steward/Hyder; but schedule it for the first of August. 

We are now in Whitehorse and I will be updating our travels. 

Gary, I skip sampling the great Canadian beers because of their caloric count.....It's a doozie and I'm on this diet.  I know not good to start a diet on a trip with wonderful food and drink.  We did buy Yukon Gold which is from a brewery here in Whitehorse; now that is gooooood stuff.  But basically I am a lite girl and don't really like the ale and heavy beers.  Honeywheat is my style or "lite" anything.

Roadlife Anna, I like a good Merlot or lately I've been into Shiraz and found a great one from Vancover called:  "Painted Turtle". 

Off to finish laundry, then to do the Yukon boat ride and the Frantic Follies this evening.  We are staying an extra day because the follies do not perform on Mondays.  Tomorrow we head to Skagway, take the ferry over to Haines to spend 3-4 days. 

Marsha

Iskut, BC (June 23, 2012) to Skagway, Alaska (June 27, 2012)
I forgot to mention that while on the way to Iskut, we pulled into a rest stop near Bell 1 bridge and met some folks from Texas, along with a gentleman and his wife who were going to a ?Gospel Singing Campout?.  He told us ?free food, free music and good singin? ?.  We were tempted but needed to continue on our way.  I?m sure it would have been great fun.
The last leg of the Cassiar Highway (37) heading north toward the Alaskan Highway (1) was a much rougher road than the first half of the Cassiar; however it was beautiful countryside.  We saw several black bears and not much traffic.    Stopped at Dease Lake to get fuel at Petro Canada and paid $1.47 per liter for diesel.  We met 3 fellas on motor cycles from Texas who were actually on their way home.  They had already been all over Alaska.  I had forgotten how friendly Texans are.
This part of the trip from Iskut to the junction was only 195 miles, but it was a long 195 miles.  The roads were bumpy and we could only average 45 mph.  About 40 or so miles south of the junction, we started noticing large area of burned trees; then we saw tents pitched along the side of the road.  All sorts of structures: lean-tos, tarps hanging off of the back of pickups, small trailers then bigger trailers, pop up pup tents.  Plus we saw people walking through the burned area with pillowcases, laundry baskets and other large containers.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out what in the world they were doing and Tim guessed it.  They were picking mushrooms;??shruns? as he called them.  We got the biggest kick out of seeing all the different set ups.  It was a Saturday, so I?m sure folks were out there for the weekend.  This lively event went on for several miles; then all of a sudden it just stopped.  It must have had something to do with the soil and moisture content.  When we checked in at the campsite, we were told some can make $1,000.00 a day harvesting mushrooms.  I?m kinda wondering what kind of mushrooms they were picking.
Finally we reached the intersection, turn west and found the ?The Gold Nugget? campground.  The only thing we can say about this facility is the campground owners are reaping in the nuggets.  It was $35.00 for a night for 30 amp and water; but they wanted $8.00 for internet.  We said no thanks and went to our campsite.  The sites are nestled in the trees and are very long.  We were talking with some fellow campers and when they went in to use the showers it was $2.00 or 2 loonies for 2 minutes.  They came back to their slide in camper and took sponge baths. 
It had been a more taxing day than we expected; and there was a caf? at the facility.  We both had an ok meal of roast beef; but again it was very pricey.  Tim called it a ?Blue-light? special.  However while we were eating the camper next to us came in to the restaurant and asked if we had meant to leave the tow car running.  I slapped my head, and couldn?t believe I had forgotten to turn it off.  When we are driving several days in a row without unhooking, I start the car for a few minutes when we stop for the night?.well it ran for a lot longer than that.  They say the memory is the first to go?.
The next morning we were excited to finally be on the Alaska Highway heading to Alaska.  The road was actually really good with short patches of rock/gravel.  I had made a windshield cover for the little car, but we had not tested it out yet.  Got all set up and off we go, with me watching the back camera screen to see if a large black piece of customized vinyl would go flying off into the wilderness.  Nope, it worked. 
The weather was beautiful, so much so that we had to turn on the A/C.  We felt like real tourist today, stopping at little information areas, taking pictures and thoroughly enjoying the ride.  The Yukon is very beautiful with long stretches of highway winding in and through the trees with mountains in the foreground.  A picture postcard type of setting.  We did notice the lack of snow on the mountains, and the streams and rivers were now bluish instead of a red tinge.
Tim had to inspect the bridge at Teslin and we found the Native Center for the Tslinget First Nation.  They had a short animated movie and a very small museum.  It looks like the facility is in the process of being built and established.
We finally reach the outskirts of Whitehorse; since we didn?t leave until 11 am this morning it is now close to 6 and we are tired.  I choose Caribou RV park because they claim to have hiking trails.  It?s a rustic campground with 30 amp and water, camp sites close together and they have wifi.  The wifi is intermittent when the campground is full; but not bad when it?s empty.  We?ve begun to notice most all of the campgrounds are tightly packed and many do not have full hookups.  The laundry and bathrooms are really nice.  We plan to stay here a couple of days to do laundry, grocery shopping and tourist things.
It?s now Monday and Tim is desperate to get the little car washed.  Got that chore done then we visit the visitor center and found a grocery store.  We still have trouble figuring out that darn ?put your quarter or loonie in the slot, stick the key in and release the chain so that you can free a grocery cart? routine.  Seems we struggle every time.  Since we are driving to Skagway and then on to Haines by ferry, we want to be somewhat stocked up as we aren?t sure what we?ll find.
Tuesday is a fun packed day.  We?ve decided to take a two hour boat ride down the Yukon River and learn the history of the river.  Before it was dammed up the river traversed through ?Two-Mile? Canyon, a whirling-swirling dangerous section of the river.  Many miners hoping to reach Dawson City attempted to traverse this section only to lose their equipment and some their lives.  After that the city fathers decided only approved guides could take you through.  We learned Jack London, the author, was one of the guides for a few years.
That evening we went to the ?Frantic Follies? in downtown Whitehorse.  Oh my gosh, what fun.  It was well worth it.  Tim was picked out of the audience to help out on stage and was a good sport.  He was part of a magical act where one of the can-can girls climbed into a box, Tim helped wrap the chain around and of course verify that the lock was secure.  He had two gorgeous can-can girls on both sides of him.  It took him at least 20 minutes for the smile to go away after he returned to his seat.
Wednesday, we were out of camp early?real early as we had to dump the coach, then drive closer into Whitehorse for fuel.  Diesel was $1.47 a liter.  We also sprayed off the radiator and rear end of the coach and the engine of the little car?dust was everywhere. 
We drove highway 2 (South Klondike Highway) west towards Skagway.  It was only 90 some miles but we kept stopping as there is lots of unique landscape to see.  At the summit of the Caribou mountain range it was cold and windy; but the landscape is very unique with lots of small ponds or lakes full of melted snow.  It felt somewhat similar to the Bear Tooth Highway in Wyoming, desolate, rugged and above the timberline.  This road follows the White Horse & Yukon train route where the miners would struggle up the mountain taking their supplies up to gold country.  When they began their journey in Skagway they were to have a year?s supply with them.  Many never made it.  In 1998 or so, Tim and I were here on a small Inland Passage cruise ship and we rode the train up towards Whitehorse so we knew the history.  Supposedly there are remnants of equipment down in the canyon below the train line.  Often pack animals would lose their footing and go over the side.
Skagway had not changed much once we got into town.  Since on our prior visit via cruise ship, we never saw the rest of the town, but it all looked the same near the cruise ship docks.  It was just our luck that 3 large cruise ships were in town?oh joy!  Lots of tourist walking in every direction; making it a slow go for us.  We are at Pullen RV Park right on the water?s edge facing the docks.  Just FYI, I remember someone mentioning  the man who runs the park as being a grump, so I donned my best ?smother them with kindness? Marsha only to find out this park has been bought by a young couple a year or two ago and he was very helpful and nice.
On our prior visit here, we had eaten at a saloon of sorts, so we began walking up and down the boardwalk to find it.  Finally we think we found it, went in had an Alaskan beer and broke our diet rule, we had a hamburger and heaven forbid?.onion rings.  Oh goodness they good.
There really isn?t much to do here except shop, so we are only staying the night and are scheduled to be at the ferry docking area at 6:30 am.  Thank goodness Alaska is an hour ahead...(opps...behind).
If you are coming here, they do have helicopter rides and the White Horse Yukon train to do.  There is also a ferry taking you to Juneau that one fellow camper mentioned was fabulous.  Since we have been to Juneau we are passing that one up.  Tomorrow onto Haines, Alaska.

Forgot to mention:  AT&T aircard is strong and 3G.  Wifi in Skagway is spotty all over the city and cost $2.95 per hour, except the library where it's free.

Marsha~

They say the memory is the first to go?.

No, Marsha, the memory is the second thing to go. No one can remember what the first thing is.

Sounds like you're having an interesting trip. I'm enjoying reading about the trip. Remember, an interesting trip is better than a perfect, unmemorable one.

Safe travels
Wendy

Marsha, while in Skagway, drive over to Dyea and find the Chilkoot Trail.  You can hike up it for a few minutes or more.  We went up about a half mile.  After doing that, you'll be amazed at the gold miners who carried heavy packs up the trail, not once but several times until they got all their supplies to the top!

ArdraF

Marsha:
  I feel like I'm reading my future.  We plan to take the Alaska trip from So Cal sometime in the next five years.  We're still working now but planning to slow down and travel more in the near future.  For now it's the shorter trips which brings me to a question if you have the time?  Being from So Cal could you recommend a good CG in the greater Lake Isabella/Kernville area?  I haven't been there since I was 16, too long ago to remember, but was camping in a tent by the river near Roads End.  Obviously, that won't work in a 34' Class A.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Gald you are enjoying the writeup, I hope to do better on the pictures; but have been having some problems.

Re Kernville/Lake Isabella.  I would not recommend any full hook up campgrounds in Lake Isabella.  There is a dry-camping one east of Isabella called Paradise Cove on Highway 178.  There is also another one in Kernville on Sierra Way called Camp Nine.  Both have a dump station and water.

In Kernville is Camp James a full hook up park right on the Kern.

Then further up Mountain 99 heading toward Johnsondale is Fairview Campground.  No hook ups but it is right on the river with a great view.  You can use ReserveAmerica.  It's a very nice campground and has nice campground facilities ie. toliets etc.  You'll need reservations during the summer and it will be hot.  A 34' will fit into several sites.

Where are you in So. Cal?

Have fun.
Marsha~

Marsha:
  Thanks for the CG information.  I know the area is hot in summer.  I'm more of a fall traveller.  I always take my long vaction the first 2 weeks in November.  I'm sure you know the CA coast in November is usually the best weather wise.  We are from Burbank, I'm sure you know where that is (seems everybody does).  I already have most of my reservations for this year, but would really like to get up that way next spring or fall, or if I come up with an unexpected available weekend.  Thart's one of the reasons I'm interested is that I can be there in 2 hours.  Hope your Alaska adventure is everything you'd hoped it would be.  Thanks and safe travels!

Steve

Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement

Once you get to the goal line,  slow down aging in a hurry. Trouble is that time seems to be speeding up faster than what you would like. I retired 12 years ago...seems like yesterday.. now I am a geezer (77) and cannot figure out where the time went. So beware, make every minute count. Running out of time is not fun.

Great advise?    :-\

Ok....here are some pictures.  Tim keeps all of them on his computer and then downloads to our backup hard drive so we don't loose them.  I was having trouble getting into our network so that I could copy the photos.  I think we are up and going.  The photos have names so you should be able to figure out what they are about.

Attachments

• WhiteHorseSkagway 058.JPG
    WhiteHorseSkagway 058.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 46
  • RoadToHaines 036.JPG
    RoadToHaines 036.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 45
  • WelcomeToAlaska.JPG
    WelcomeToAlaska.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 49
(Yippee...I'm caught up.  Also it seems the bold part of the message can't be removed.  Something I must have done in Word.  So the bold doesn't mean anthing..I just can't remove it.)

Skagway, Alaska (June 27, 2012) to Haines, Alaska (June 28, 2012)
Since we are not early risers, we set several cell phone alarms for our 5:30 am waking time and our 6:30 line up at the ferry?.geesh!  The one consolation is that it is not dark.  The dog goes out for a quick potty break and the cats miss their morning meal.  After a couple of quick cups of coffee, we unplug the coach, pull the slide in and get going.  The ferry is less than a mile from the campground; get in line then we go inside to ?check-in?.  The little ferry guy comes out with a ground wheel measurer and verifies that yes, the coach is 36? long.  They have recommended that we leave the little car unattached for a couple of reasons: one, it costs less and 2 it is easier to maneuver on the ferry. 
They begin to load the ferry, and I in the little car am the first to load?no problem.  There is a place to wait in the loading bay, so I watch as cars come in and get all lined up in their respective places.  Then the RVs begin to load.  To my total astonishment, they are backing the trailers in; both bumper pulls and 5th wheels.  And, I am thinking to myself, Oh my goodness, this will be a first for Tim.  We are the biggest and only Class A in line.  There are several Class C rentals and lots of truck campers.  Tim is nearly the last to load and they bring him in front, no backing, but he has to maneuver a tight 3-point turn into order to get into line up against the wall of the loading bay.  Everything went fine.
It was a short ferry ride to Haines, but by the time we get off loaded from the ferry, find the campground and get settled it is after 10 am.  Haines is a new place for us.  When we did the Inside Passage cruise we cruised past Haines, but didn?t know anything about it.
It is very much a quiet fishing village/town.  After lunch, we took a drive and went toward Chilakoot Lake and river flowing out of it and into the inlet. This is supposed to be a very good area for seeing grizzlies.  We have been told that there are only grizzlies here, no black bears.  The lake is very pretty and the river is fast and furious.  Near the mouth of the river is a salmon ladder and it?s somehow rigged so that Fish and Game can count the fish that swim upstream.  The total since June 1st is close to 15,000 fish.  The count for the day was only 20; but by the time we drove past later in the day it was up over 200 and every time we drove past we saw a Fish and Game representative.  We saw no bears; but we did see lots of bald eagles.  After spending nearly 2 days here, we are having a great time watching them.  They fly right over the campground, perch on masts of the boats in the harbor and are literally everywhere. 
We then drove toward the other side of Haines.  I would guess that the east/west road is maybe 10 miles long.  In the middle of Haines is the Haines Highway going up to the Alaska Highway, so there is very little traffic except for those coming off the ferry and locals.  On the west side we found a hiking trail so that Charlie and we could stretch our legs.  On the way back from the hike we noticed a large eagle nest at least 5? in span with an eagle sitting in the nest.  The nest are very deep and so you only see a little of the bird?s head.
This campground is fabulous, not in amenities; but in location.  You back the rigs up against a fence line with the front window facing out over the water, looking at mountains, cruise ships passing by, fishing boats and occasionally sea otters.  The town is less than a ? mile from the campground and you can walk all over town.  When we got back to camp there was a notice on the office window that they were having a crab fest that evening.  All you needed to do was bring a dish to share and $6.00 per Dungeness crab that you wanted to eat.  Tim is not into working so hard for his dinner; but he was a good sport and went with me.  I LOVE crab; and I?m willing to work for it.  It was cold and rainy, but the campground owners had set up covered canopies and tables.  It was fun, although there was not much socializing as it was so cold and wet.  But we had a good time.
The next morning, we drove to the bear spot and didn?t see a one; but we did see eagles.  Haines has several museums.  We visited the main museum with information of Haines? history and cultures of the area.  They also have an excellent facility called the ?American Bald Eagle Foundation?.  It is a Natural History Museum and Live Raptor Center, with live bird presentations. They also do some rehabilitation.  Often they will put on presentation with different birds.  Today we saw an injured, but recuperated bald eagle being fed.  We also learned that Haines is the home of the largest concentration of bald eagles.  The inlet here in Haines has a warmer flow of water so the Chum salmon come here in early November and so do the Bald Eagles.  There can be close to 30,000 -40,000 birds here at one time. 
The weather had cleared and we got a good glimpse of the surrounding mountains topped with snow.  Near the campground is a pretty good restaurant called the ?light house?.  We had a great dinner.  I?m beginning to really like the uniqueness of Haines. 
Tomorrow we drive up to the Alaska Highway crossing back into both British Columbia and the Yukon and head toward Klune Lake and Tok.  We have heard that there is a really nice campground near Klune Lake called Cottonwood, but it is in Yukon.  I called and made a reservation, as it?s close to Canada Day on July 1st and we weren?t sure there would be space.  I thought about making reservations for the July 4th holiday, but since we will be in Alaska I?m hoping we can find a pull off on the side of the road if we can?t find a place to camp.  Seems every campground except this one has had lots of spaces available.
BTW, we are getting very acclimated to 50+ degree weather, cloudy skies and occasional rain?..It?s great.

Attachments

• coachOnFerry.JPG
    coachOnFerry.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Haines 033.JPG
    Haines 033.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 52
  • OceansideRVparkHaines 032.JPG
    OceansideRVparkHaines 032.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 53
  • CrabFest.JPG
    CrabFest.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 55
Hi Kevin,

We have had good cell service and air-card data service in most of the towns/cities.  If I recall only one or two places had either no cell service or no adequate campground WiFi.

With all this cloud cover and rain we've been in, the Data Storm may not have worked well, if at all.  The signal gets very degraded in bad weather.  Whereas our air-cards don't have any trouble with weather conditions and are much faster.  We really have not missed it.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
  They also have an excellent facility called the ?American Bald Eagle Foundation?.  It is a Natural History Museum and Live Raptor Center, with live bird presentations. They also do some rehabilitation. 

Marsha,

When we were there,  they also offered  a river floating trip out to see the eagles.  It was a nice little gentle stream.

Marsha

Its a shame you'll miss the 4th of July in Haines. The fire department puts on a really fun day. Haines was one of our favorite towns.

Haines was one of our favorite places - we ended up staying 7-8 days (that was July, 2002). Fished the river for salmon (the 'reds' - sockeyes - were running at the time) along side the bears and eagles, visited the spawning grounds in the lake (we had an inflatable boat), ate crab, and otherwise enjoyed the town and its environs. The views along thebay are stupendous!  A very pleasant and friendly place.

There is a large campground up at Haines Junction, where the Haines Hwy meets the Alaska Hwy. It's in the Yukon, of course. Kluane RV, I think it is called. The little Raven Motel also has a half dozen camp sites (it it's still there).

Marsha,
Keep the posts coming. Love the pictures, they bring back memories of our trips to Alaska. We're hoping to make "just one more trip" to Alaska.
Have fun,
Indiana Journey

I've really enjoyed your travelog and pictures, too, Marsha.  I love to vicariously travel along with all you guys making the trip to Alaska.  Brings back many happy memories of our trip in 2000.

Margi

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom