Not a happy camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faypowell

I have a 2008 Keystone Hornet, which is the second camper we have owned.  It is now 3 years old and we are having nothing but problems with it.  This year in March we noticed that our Dometic patio awning fabric was separating and needed to be replaced.  In May we took the camper out again and the power converter went out and had to be replaced.  June we took it out a 3rd time for the year and our shower door (one of the folding ones) has a big rip and now I have to replace that. We plan on a week long vacation in October and wondering what is going to happen next.

faypowell said:
We plan on a week long vacation in October and wondering what is going to happen next.
You name it.  It IS an RV.  I think most are designed to test your patience and DIY skills. :)

Although I've been very fortunate in our RV experience I can relate to your post in view of others.  It almost appears that RVing is a rich man's hobby!  :eek:  My thought is that if cars were built with the same quality as RVs many of us would be riding a horse instead.  ;D

I seldom if ever not have something that needs to be repaired on any I have ever owned ( 7 ) to date. Only thing worse is there seems to always be something at home that needs attention also.

If you take a house and put it on wheels and drive it down the road at 60 mile per hour things are going to break. If someone could figure out how to stop this they would be a very rich person. You might want to check out an extended warranty. It will give you peace of mind.

Don't want it to break down, OK..... manual transfer switch, residential fridge, manual steps and crank down jacks like a tractor trailer. That eliminated 75% of the posts.  Made myself tired with all that manual labor but Manuel appreciated the job.

seilerbird said:
If you take a house and put it on wheels and drive it down the road at 60 mile per hour things are going to break.

I tried to explain that to some people we were travelling with (they had a 4 wheeler and preferred 70+ MPH) and they could not understand until I mentioned clearing the kitchen cupboards just by hard braking.

With all the bumps, twists and turns everything gets stressed and the weaker points show their ugly little heads first. Our first failure was the drawer center supports that were previously held only by staples. Some construction glue and dry wall screws fixed that. Next was our awning. The cloth has small tears along the rib that holds the fabric to the side of the RV. Nothing major yet, but enough to say "Uh Oh". Then the up/down lever got stuck in the "neither" position and the awning has been closed since. Now we are having a fight with the generator and to date the generator is winning.

As previously mentioned, they are basically big tinker toys that keep us off the streets and out of trouble ;D.
At least most of the time anyways...

Joe

Just look at the problem(s) and see if there is a way to do it better.  Just because it came from the factory doesn't mean it was done the best way.  We are just finishing our madien voyage and realize there are MANY things we will need to do BETTER than the factory to keep our unit on the road.

Tim and Mary

Madien Voyage almost complete

Wow, I didn't realize I should expect things to break. What about my list of failures.

It's an 18 ft toy hauler, 2006.

Propane tank valve.
Propane regulator.
interior florescent light.
Exterior light with corrosion beyond belief.
Rear door leaks when towed in the rain.
tears starting in awning.
Frame broke at rear shackle.
Frame rails separating, breaking welds at cross members.
Spare tire mount weld broken.

Still a happy camper.

Our Pinnacle was a pretty good rig especially for 17 years old but in a year it had the following replaced:
Generator control board
water heater control board
propane alarm
all the blinds
1/2 the valances
pressure fitting under the sink

I'm pretty sure there were some small things but it seemed like every trip something small or large broke.  The Bounder has been on 4 voyages (None very far) and so far nothing broken.  I figure it's saving up some small stuff to buy a big break in the near future! 

Jeff

CampFool said:
Wow, I didn't realize I should expect things to break. What about my list of failures.

It's an 18 ft toy hauler, 2006.

Propane tank valve.
Propane regulator.
interior florescent light.
Exterior light with corrosion beyond belief.
Rear door leaks when towed in the rain.
tears starting in awning.
Frame broke at rear shackle.
Frame rails separating, breaking welds at cross members.
Spare tire mount weld broken.

Still a happy camper.

I know it's like pulling a home on wheels; however, these are things that fall more in the basic constructability, manufacturing, and quality control area.....again, much like producing a car.  No matter what you're producing, welds & frames shouldn't break.  We certainly wouldn't 'accept' it if it were on our auto!  Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom