Not new to RVing, but looking to switch from TT to MH . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlraff

We've had our travel trailer for eight years or so and are now looking to switch to a small motorhome. We've pretty much decided on a Class C around 25 ft. and are going to look at a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A tomorrow. This unit has 50,000 miles on it. Does this seem like an excessive amount of mileage for a 5 year old RV? It has the Ford E450 chassis. My husband feels that if the vehicle has been well maintained the mileage is not an issue.

Our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer, Workhorse chassis, has over 55,000 miles on it. Mike takes good care of it and we've had no problems. Before the Winnie, we had a Coachman Class C with a Chevy engine and over 14 years we put over 100,000 miles on it and we still it running around town. So much depends on how it was taken care of.

Wendy

Hello! I agree that if a unit has been well maintained age/mileage is less of a factor. Things wear from use but things fail from under-use too. Our unit is a 92 Coachmen C with 64,000 miles on it. We have had it a year and so far had to replace brakes and tires from not being used enough(the tires were not original but were 5 years old and cracked). Winnebago is a great unit; hope it all works out for you! ;)

I am going to third the opinion that the key is maintanance. 

We had a 2003 Coachman Santara with about 25,000 miles on it...and it was as good as new when we "sold" it (read: traded it in).  The biggest thing is regular, thorough maintanance.

Some things to think of (if buying from a dealership, negotiate these points): 

tire condition
roof condition (get up there and LOOK at the roof)
awning condition
look for stains:  ceiling, floor, by fridge, by toilet, by sinks, etc.
Does it LOOK like someone took care of it?
is the carpet in good condition?
negotiate a new mattress if you can
how is the battery (engine AND the two deep cycle batteries)
Smell for mold or musty - if there, it's hard to get rid of!
Check the air-vents and make sure the cranks work to open them.
Valve-stem extenders - if not equiped with this HAVE THEM ADD IT!

Others here have MUCH more experience than my husband and I, but these are some things we've learned along the way.  We sure did love our Class C!

Oh...and be wary of the Class C's with the front window over the cab (like the one we had, below).

We were warned by many different people that R.V.s often leak there, and it ended up being a problem for us (and many others).  We re-sealed it 3-4 times each year to MAKE SURE we didn't have any water damage.  It would have been a problem had we not anticipated it and been watching for it.

Just a heads-up!

Attachments

• ry%3D400 (2).jpg
    ry%3D400 (2).jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 7
I have had the same problem with our front window on class c. What did you use to seal it? I used silicon for now but plan on repairing the wood inside and want to seal the window rite.

We re-sealed with silicon SEVERAL times each year.  It was the only thing about that RV at all that was a PITA!  We nearly missed it when it started leaking and it did a little bit of cosmetic damage...but it could have caused A LOT more damage.

The lesson we learned is that if we ever purchase another Class C, it will be without that front window.

eta:  Sorry -  I forgot to address your question about fixing it permanantly...I don't know what would fix it permanantly - my husband LOVES silicon, so....that's what we did  :eek:

drlaff,

You have probably already looked at the Winnebago, but here is a check list of things to look for when looking at a used RV.  There are also other articles in the library that you might find interesting.

Marsha~

Thanks to all for your replies.
We're picking up the Aspect tomorrow - trading in our truck and TT. It's a big step and there's a lot to learn about motorhomes. We've already learned so much from reading all the posts on these forums; they're invaluable. I'm sure we'll have questions along the way and will come back here often. Looking forward to tomorrow - can't wait!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbritt
Back
Top Bottom