Now that Flying J is disappearing, where can one get both diesel and propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While there are many places to get propane bottles filled, there are far fewer that will fill a motorhome fixed tank.  I believe that's what Wendell is asking about.

If you have a smart phone, download the All Fuel App.  I found it from a previous discussion on this forum.  It'll give you sources for all types of fuel (including propane) near your current location.  Great to have while on the road, and you can find nearby sources that have both diesel and propane in one-stop shopping.

thomasamski said:
What is an RV Plus card?

RV Plus card must be paid in full at the end of the month or billing cycle.
It does give me a $.06 discount on diesel

koski said:
If you have a smart phone, download the All Fuel App.  I found it from a previous discussion on this forum.  It'll give you sources for all types of fuel (including propane) near your current location.  Great to have while on the road, and you can find nearby sources that have both diesel and propane in one-stop shopping.

I don't find an Android app called "all fuel".  Can you give us more specific info. Would rather us an app that someone recommends. Thanks!

Speaking of LP..just filled the grill tank.  15 LBS. at $1.30 per pound in NW Ohio..  What the prices down south and out west?

AA4WP;  There are probably more than 100,000 MH's running around that are even larger than yours. Propane has never been a problem. There are still lots of FJ's on every interstate. Many propane companies have shops with large tanks on the outskirts of cities. We have been RVing for more than 40 years. Never had a problem finding Propane.

I went from Indiana to Arizona, to Nevada and came back on 40, I never had any problems with diesel or propane.  I go through the truck lanes, go in leave my credit card and fill up.  I hate going back and forth, back and forth.  I only had to fill with propane twice, after the guy adjusted the pressure coming from my propane tank, fixed my water heater, fridge, and furnace the propane seems to last forever. We ran the furnace a lot on that trip.

This trip we didn't but normally I go south on 41 and north of Evansville I fill my propane tank and many times coming home I will top it off there too, just a handy spot for me, in warmer weather I also make a last dump of the grey and black water tanks there.  They have truck stops on both north and southbound lanes there, very handy.

We very rarely use the gas cook top. So the only propane usage we ever have is when boon docking without electric, for the fridge. We filled up last June when we went on a 3600 mile trip, and we just got back from a 3000 mile jaunt. We started last June with 32 gal of propane (80% of our 38 gal tank) and almost a year later we still have 28 lbs.

Stan

Uhaul has propane at some of the lrger rental places http://www.uhaul.com/. Most are RV accessable.

I don't see the problem. I use my Pilet RV PLUS card when getting diesel at  Pilot/Flying J and get the .06 discount and don't have to restart the pump. I like the ease in and out. Saving $.10-.15 is not a savings if you have to drive 10 miles off the rout and back and then find you can't get access to the pumps.
There are a lot of camp grounds that have propane. I had heard about the high prices in the east for propane but when we left Perry Ga I was low so when we stopped in Florida the first night  I saw they had propane when we pulled in. I asked the price $4.00 a gal I only got 10 gal to get home on. I thought $2.49 was high.
Bill

Pilot/Frying J (Good Sam Club) RV Plus Charge Card: No limit on purchases. 6% discount off cash price. Will withdraw total monthly charge from banking account on 4th of month. Will send email notifying amount to be withdrawn around one week prior to 4th.
Flying J stations in this area have replaced all of their old propane pumps and are again selling propane.
Since I still work part time and live in the MH while working I like to use the Pilot/Flying card because I can print out my purchases at the end of the year.
Prices can vary at different stations and one station in this area is about 20 cent per gallon higher than other station around this area. I try not to use that station.
Useless information: Total miles driven last year...5183 miles. Gallons of diesel purchased...691.68.  MPG...7.4933.  Total cost for diesel...$2666.79. Cost of diesel per mile traveled...$.51 
I could figure total cost per mile traveled if I figured cost of repairs, service, insurance, license and tax ..ect., but I am not use my heart could take it.

Frank Hurst said:
Pilot/Frying J (Good Sam Club) RV Plus Charge Card: No limit on purchases. 6% discount off cash price. Will withdraw total monthly charge from banking account on 4th of month. Will send email notifying amount to be withdrawn around one week prior to 4th.
Flying J stations in this area have replaced all of their old propane pumps and are again selling propane.
Since I still work part time and live in the MH while working I like to use the Pilot/Flying card because I can print out my purchases at the end of the year.
Prices can vary at different stations and one station in this area is about 20 cent per gallon higher than other station around this area. I try not to use that station.
Useless information: Total miles driven last year...5183 miles. Gallons of diesel purchased...691.68.  MPG...7.4933.  Total cost for diesel...$2666.79. Cost of diesel per mile traveled...$.51 
I could figure total cost per mile traveled if I figured cost of repairs, service, insurance, license and tax ..ect., but I am not use my heart could take it.

That would be $.06/gal not 6%. Don't I wish it was.

Back
Top Bottom