Ocean Lakes (Myrtle) Best Route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chill614

Hello all. New to long trip RVing and hoping to get some good advice on the best route.

We are traveling down from Northeast Ohio to Ocean Lakes in the middle of June. I do NOT have a trucker or RV gps unit and am looking for the easiest route. I do not necessarily need the fastest, but I also do not need the long way around if that makes sense.

Just a quick google search: i74, NC state route 38, 501, to SC 544. I know nothing about this route, but my gut tells me this is not the best way to go.

Was thinking: i77 all the way into Columbia, then run i20 toward Florence then catch 501 just east of Florence.

What are your guys thoughts? Thanks for any reply.
*Open to completely different routes as well. I am not set on anything above.

*2012 GMC 2500 Duramax, 37' 2023 Wildwood 31kqbts

I live in SC and have stayed there several times, it's a great park. If you're not locked into reservations yet, I prefer Myrtle Beach travel park to the north. You avoid a lot of traffic in Conway and Aynor by going there instead.

If you take the route from Columbia, take 20 to I95, go north on 95 about 10 miles and get off at the Buccee's exit. There will be big signs for beach traffic to take this exit. Fromthere it's fairly straightforward with lots of signs.

If you choose MB Travel Park instead, you can take SC-22 to the park. 22 is practically deserted and you skip a couple of small towns.

Both parks are nice and you'll have a great time.

Hello all. New to long trip RVing and hoping to get some good advice on the best route.

We are traveling down from Northeast Ohio to Ocean Lakes in the middle of June. I do NOT have a trucker or RV gps unit and am looking for the easiest route. I do not necessarily need the fastest, but I also do not need the long way around if that makes sense.

Just a quick google search: i74, NC state route 38, 501, to SC 544. I know nothing about this route, but my gut tells me this is not the best way to go.

Was thinking: i77 all the way into Columbia, then run i20 toward Florence then catch 501 just east of Florence.

What are your guys thoughts? Thanks for any reply.
*Open to completely different routes as well. I am not set on anything above.

*2012 GMC 2500 Duramax, 37' 2023 Wildwood 31kqbts
I have never been on I77 while towing anything but have taken it a few times on trips to Georgia and I think it was right around Statesville we hit some serious mountainous areas. Some beautiful scenery but some serious steep terrain. I am not familiar with I74 rte 38 at all but if I remember correctly 501 is a divided highway and decent traveling. If it was me I might stick with what Google maps says because of that steep terrain and avoids Charlotte and Columbia areas. If you do decide that route I would consider taking I485 around Charlotte. That is what we did without issues. Hopefully someone who has tried different routes can give you more info.

What I think is you should get yourself an RV GPS, type in the destination, and let the GPS pick the safest and best route for you and your 37' 5'er. Otherwise, what are you going to do with every trip you take, look for route advice? I'm in the midst of a two-month Southern States trip. We started with another couple in their Class C back in early Feb. Before each new destination, my friend Cathy and her husband would come over to our campsite and ask "Hey, What route are you taking to San Antonio?". I'd tell her, I don't know, whatever the Garmin says is where I'm going.

Anyways, heading South from Ohio all the roads are good, 75, 77, etc. You will be driving through some good hills but if you're staying on an interstate then there is nothing to worry about other than too drive carefully. Enjoy your trip.

What I think is you should get yourself an RV GPS, type in the destination, and let the GPS pick the safest and best route for you and your 37' 5'er. Otherwise, what are you going to do with every trip you take, look for route advice? I'm in the midst of a two-month Southern States trip. We started with another couple in their Class C back in early Feb. Before each new destination, my friend Cathy and her husband would come over to our campsite and ask "Hey, What route are you taking to San Antonio?". I'd tell her, I don't know, whatever the Garmin says is where I'm going.

Anyways, heading South from Ohio all the roads are good, 75, 77, etc. You will be driving through some good hills but if you're staying on an interstate then there is nothing to worry about other than too drive carefully. Enjoy your trip.
I do agree, but for the near future (5-6 years) we are probably only going to do a max of 1 longer trip a year. The rest of our trips are familiar places within 2 hours of where we live. For 1 trip a year, I don't feel the expense of a dedicated gps is necessary when I would use it once a year tops. But I do agree they are a no brainer for multiple trips and for full-time, but if we start to make more trips then I will get one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom