OD off light blinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott18

I have a 99 Chieftain with a Ford chassis that I just rigged for towing. After taking it on some old crappy roads, the OD off light on the shift lever started to blink. It wouldn't stop blinking whenever I pushed the button, although the tranny acted normally shifting in and out of OD. Upon turning the key off and restarting it everything returned to normal. I don't have any documentation for the chassis and was wondering what the blinking meant?

On my '96 Lincoln, the problem was the Vehicle Speed Sensor.
J

oh dear...........beware , and have the tranny checked out.

mine did the same thing just before the OD went bad. i spent 2800.00 rebuilding the tranny.

if you don't do anything else, at least put a temp gauge on your  tranny fluid. it is a must on the fords.

bob

I hate to say it but a blinking OD light means a problem with the transmission. I had to have mine re-built. Check the internet, Ford automatic transmissions are noted for dying at or around 100,000 miles.

Don't worry too much - at least not yet.  It might be as simple as a bad engine speed or vehicle speed sensor.  Or a connector that got jostled on the bumpy road.

If you pushed the tranny hard (towing on crappy roads - lots of up/down, accelerating and braking?) check the transmission fluid because if it gets hot it loses it's lubricating qualities.  You'll have to open the doghouse - the transmission dipstick is at the rear of the engine.  Check the level with the engine running in park.  Then put a drop or two of the fluid on a white piece of paper.  It should be bright red and have no smell.  If it's not, especially if it's dark brown or black, smells like burnt toast or has black flecks in it, get it changed right now.

Thanks Lou.  RV is in storage now for the winter.  This was the 1st time I towed with it and we just followed the GPS that took us on some roads that we shouldn't have been on with the RV.  They were narrow, bumpy, and seemed to follow the nearest cow path.  I will check the tranny fluid in the spring.

another thing to do  would be to add a temp gauge to the tranny.  that will give you a better warning than the flashing light on the shifter. normal temp is around 170 deg.... after 200  better do some checking!!!

bob

Before spending a lot of time and money on this, you may want to see if it happens again. My wifes 2000 Ford Explorer has done this three times when I drove it. Found the blinking problem was caused by the shift lever being placed  between gear markings on the column. The only way to clear the blinking was to stop, turn off, and restart. Happens to me as I am not used to the car and tend to not pay attention while putting in drive. No other problems have arisen from this situation.

There is a repair shop near me that will check/clear codes using their REALLY COOL (and expensive) OBDII scanner. My F150 (2004) had the OD light flashing. The TFT sensor and harness were bad. Too bad for me they went bad due to the chunks of metal flying around the transmission. I'd get the code checked/cleared. then see if it returns. Be ready for bad news though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom