Off to the repair shop.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeCoke

Well, our 2015 Tiffin Open Road 31SA is off to the repair shop. At the end of our Winter trip we noticed some loss of power and a tapping noise from the engine.
Took it in to have it looked at and they found metal flakes in the oil. They said the sound was coming from the top of the engine so it could be the valve train or the overhead cam. No one within 45 miles would work on it. Found a place in Aztec and they will start working on it tomorrow May18.
Finding someone to tow it was also a pain.
Hopefully the repair will not be too bad. I checked the worst case if I need a new engine that would cost 7,000 - $8,000 plus R&I.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 25
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 25
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 25
Generally once there's metal in the oil, it's repair by replacement. There are oil passages, bearings and precision sized oil delivery holes in various parts that can be restricted or blocked so even if you replaced the offending component, there's no way to flush the debris out of the rest of the engine.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Aztec NM? That's a whole lot better than ABQ. Don't know if you'll have much say in the matter regarding repair or replace, but I'd sure go for replace. Hopefully the insurance guys will go along. Good luck.

Aztec NM? That's a whole lot better than ABQ. Don't know if you'll have much say in the matter regarding repair or replace, but I'd sure go for replace. Hopefully the insurance guys will go along. Good luck.
I don't think this is something that insurance is going to cover on an 8-year-old engine, unless there is some kind of extended warranty involved.

It’s not the price as much as the time … 6-8 month wait for a new engine. We do have an extended warranty but I’m not holding my breath for that.

There ought to be some "magic in a can" some where that will "fix' that..>>>Dan:rolleyes:
This HAS to be a case of abuse or neglect,,, right.??? Being a Ford,, over 8500 miles per year has to be excessive mileage.:rolleyes: Is my facetious showing>???

Last edited:
It’s not the price as much as the time … 6-8 month wait for a new engine. We do have an extended warranty but I’m not holding my breath for that.
My daughter had a problem with the engine in her car and come to find out there was a recall. They ended up changing the engine for a new one and overall it took about 3 weeks from ordering it to turning the key.

Not many extended service plans that cover the drive train on those - maybe. Hope the best for the OP.

Back
Top Bottom