Oil change prices - diesel engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjo5491

I have a Cummings ISL 4OO HP engine and was wondering what you are paying ,in your neck of the woods,for oil changes, grease jobs and filters. Here in Southern Minn. Freightliner prices are all over the board $159 to $289 for oil and grease (24 qrts oil)    Would appreciate hearing prices from your area.             

That's in the ballpark in the Denver area. Of course there are various service "packages" that include a lot more than just oil/filter, some running up around $500, but including dynamic tests on the rig, and other stuff. It's often a function of what is included (filters and more), along with local labor rates.

I had the 400 ISL, and I quit taking it in for oil changes and grease jobs, after I found the Freightliner shop in our area was not greasing all of the grease nipples. The tough one high up near the top of the steering wheel shaft, and the ones on the U joints and drive shaft.

You often find prices all over the board. Need to be firm on exactly what you are having them do. Assume you would want fuel filters changed as well. Have you checked rvservicereviews.com ? I service my coach myself and just got done doing everything so am no help recommending a place.
  Where are you at in southern MN?

Are you looking for a combined total of all those things, or individual prices? I do my own oil & filters on my ISL, but usually have Freightliner factory service do chassis lube. As I recall they get about $40 for that.

You probably won't get oil & filter plus a chassis lube for $159 - 24 qt of 15W40 oil + oil filter alone are about $110 and most shops mark that up some as well as charging labor. Fuel filter(s) add another $50 or so. The ISL will also have a coolant filter and the chassis may have a hydraulic system filter too, if you want to include those.

I see RV dealers advertising diesel oil & filter changes for prices like $289 and calling it a "sale" or "special". Over $300 is quite common. Speedco truck service centers charge $249 for oil and up to 3 filters (oil & fuel) and $30 for a chassis lube. Speedco also checks & tops off differential,wheel hubs, hydraulics, etc for that price.
https://www.speedco.com/content/dam/bcs-sites/speedco/pdfs/Speedco_Lube_Services.pdf

I go to my dealership once a year for an "engine service" (oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, belt inspection, chassis lube), "generator service"(oil change, filter) and an "Aquahot Service" (new jet, etc.).  The cost for the three services totals a hair under $600.  I schedule it in advance so it's all addressed in a single visit - and often "piggyback" any other repairs that may be needed onto it so it's all taken care of in a single trip.  I plan it far enough in advance so that the dealership can plan appropriately - and they've been great about ensuring that they take care of all of it in a single visit.  I suspect I could save a few bucks by if I were to shop around a little more - BUT, the convenience, the access to the service tech to ask about other issues of concerns and our dealership's willingness to work with me to schedule the work makes me happy to go this route. 

speedco is right at $200.00. last one lube,filters 32 qts oil and oil analyzed was $209.00

Freightliner Tolleson (PHX) is up to a to a little over $300.00.

billwild said:
I had the 400 ISL, and I quit taking it in for oil changes and grease jobs, after I found the Freightliner shop in our area was not greasing all of the grease nipples. The tough one high up near the top of the steering wheel shaft, and the ones on the U joints and drive shaft.

A friend with a CAT engine took it to the CAT service center for the annual lube job. He did the oil change himself a week later. While under the coach doing the oil change he noticed several grease fittings had not been greased. He took the rig back to the service center and the supervisor was annoyed at first but when my friend pointed out the fittings that were not greased he apologized and had them greased right then. Moral of this story; trust but verify.

Have not taken the coach to Freightliner for those services (yet.) I've been using an RV shop that has a very good service reputation, but you have to schedule an appointment at least two months out.

Things are very pricey here in the San Diego area. A standard lube/oil change/filters etc, for the chassis and genset, was averaging $1100.00 for our 450 horse Cummins equipped coach. That did not include Aqua Hot service, and did not cover repairs if problems were found.

For the last annual service, I took the coach to a different shop that also has a good reputation. They had always told me that their service bays were not long enough for our 43 foot coach but we mutually agreed to give it a try. After careful maneuvering, they were successful. The identical service at this shop only cost me $830.00, which may sound like a lot compared to other prices I'm seeing here, but it's a big savings over what I had been paying, and the shop is a lot closer to my house.

Kev

Recently spent around $450 for oil, all filters and lube for the coach, ISM 500 and generator, 10 kw.  That included a gallon of Lucas just for fun.  After crawling around underneath, I noticed the hard to get to zerc's didn't get hit.  Steering arm, if they don't turn the wheels it's tough without some sort of special fitting on the grease gun.  I won't go again, $450 was too much.

We got our first 15,000 mile service done by Freightliner shop and cost use 830 and we gave them two and half pages of stuff to inspect, re-torque, mag plugs to check, oil and fuel filter and oil for engine and generator.  REV Group quoted 389 to do the first 15,000 mile service and I showed them the list and guy laugh and said all we do is change oil if you want all that done bring to Freightliner. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfish66
Back
Top Bottom