Oil Pan Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeCI

My 83 Pace Arrow 30` with a low mileage long block 454 ( 5 YEARS AGO), Recently took a 50% drop in oil pressure (all at once). Have changed sending unit, checked gauge operation and install a mechanical gauge. Same results. No engine noise.I diaognozed it as pressure relief valve failure. Problem...removed all assecories to remove pan.Raised engine as far as possible, til tranny hit floorpans, but still not enough clearance to remove. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I was to leave for N.Y from N.C next month. $ is an object. Yes have changed filter and oil. Hope suggestions do not say I must not drop tranny,not equiped for that. Any mobile rv  mechanics in Statesville, N.C that u may suggest that are reasonable is an option.

What is the pan hitting - an internal part of the engine, i.e. oil pump/pickup tube or crank counter weight or is it external, possibly a body chassis part. If it's internal, you might only need to rotate the crankshaft to clear the counter weights or even a conn rod throw. Since GM/Chevy 454's had the distributor/oil pump in the rear, it might also be the pic up tube and strainer. The old Ford 460 in a '79 F350 you almost needed to "unscrew" the pan while turning the crank - even after raising it off the motor mount the max amount. Additionally, some/most GM's the lower part of the bell housing is sheet metal and removable

When you get it apart, I suggest that you change the oil pump and possibly the pick up tube as well - they are fairly cheap and do occasionally fail. I would also suggest you look at one main and one rod bearing if for nothing else a benchmark and a 'feel good'.

No internal interference with removal.just block to flex plate clearance. Can`t get the angle needed to lower.. Splash pan has been removed as well as fan for schroud clearance. I will drop a main and rod to check, but this was a engine that idled at 50lbs all day, then fell on it`s face in a matter of seconds.

Did you unbolt the flex plate from the converter? Watch the distributor doesnt hit the end of the doghouse and break the cap.
  Edit: Can you separate the converter from the flex plate, unbolt the trans without removing it and gain enough clearance to remove the flex plate from the crank? I've done it on a K-20 with a bad ring gear. 

You could very easily gotten a chip under the pressure relief valve and that's when the pressure dropped. Can that valve be accessed with out removing the pan??>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom