ok, another dog comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
melvonnar said:
Heres some more fuel for the fire fellows:
Dog Bite Law
Statistics
The most recent official survey, conducted more than a decade ago, determined there were 4.7 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A more recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in emergency rooms as a result of dog bites. In 2007 there were 33 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year, with over $300 million paid by homeowners insurance  Interesting isn't it?

Yea... very interesting... and we kill 40,000 in car wrecks every year (in the USA) and more veterans were killed by suicide in 2009 than in battle... so lets keep the dogs, get rid of cars and war. 

I was going to reply but why bother, I bet that poor guy that got tore up with that dog would have something to say.

I have no idea of the exact circumstances of the attack at the park today, so I'll refrain judgement on whether the dog was properly restrained. I only know that it was restrained and on the owners campsite.

Word is the maintenance worker is just going to need some stiches, thankfully.

This a very popular park for dogs, and of the 60 or so I have seen today, all were restrained properly and seemed friendly.  It only takes one boneheaded owner to screw it up for everyone...perhaps there is a middle ground?

Instead of outright breed bans, should ownwers of statistically dangerous breeds be required to under go mandatory safety training or licensing?  I throw that out for discussion.

Melvonnar insists on the "requirement" of 6 foot, Its only required if posted as such. No blanket rule or law exists other than in his mind.>>>Dan.. ::)

[quote author=melvonnar]There is no use trying to explain anything to a dog owner...[/quote]

I don't own a dog, and I have been bitten by a couple of friends' dogs, both drew blood. In the first case, I inadvertently surprised the dog. In the second case, the dog was really being playful.

I have a 70 pound lab, we think doberman mix, not sure.  Was thinking about possibly taking him with us when we go.  He is already in and out of the motorhome while we are working on it, he seems so excited.  But then he loves to be around us when we are outside.  BJ was a found stray, he is a sweetheart, he loves everyone.  He will bark at certain people walking by outside our fence we are rural, if they came up and petted him he would stop.  He does not like horses, but mainly he is just jealous if other animals come up and I pet them.  He will wiggle himself between them and me so I have to pet him.

I have never seen any aggression from him to UPS guys, he plays with the one that comes, goes and gets a toy for him to throw, loves the pizza guys and the meter readers.  I will say he would never go after anyone, but still he is a dog and you just never know what one can or will do.  You read in the paper all the time of dogs that have always been good suddenly attacking people.  I think you need to be cautious around any dogs but especially big ones and your own.  I can walk BJ by peoples yards off leash and if a dog comes out he will whine but stays with me.  However, in a CG he would be kept on a leash.

I take him with me at times to get my car serviced and he has been taught down, stay, come, no, and lays near me and does not move.  One day a guy kept watching him and said you know I bet if someone came at you that dog would go after them.  Honestly I do not know, I think he might just cower but I don't know.  Really made me think about it. Most generally the comments I get are if only kids were as good as he is.

Many years ago I asked our mail carrier how she dealt with aggressive dogs, thinking she'd say something like pepper spray; She said that she just puts the mail bag between her and the dog. She carried treats that she fed to the friendly dogs.

You know folks, we have a better chance of trying to settle who was really "afraid of Virginia Wolfe" than we do of Dog vs Man!!!

Dang...........was someone lying when they said "a dog is man's best friend????????????" :eek:

We might as well discuss how long does a diesel engine have to run in the morning to get the air pressures and temps up?
( 5 minutes to 30 minutes or more?) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

AYe, you're right. It may be time to shut this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom