Ok guys how hard to get around

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure your saving people time and money in trying out different kinds of units by publishing your experiences and thoughts.

Well that sure wasn't the plan.  I thought the first one would be it, then the second one, now the 3rd one.  A bit much I know but just something about each we didn't like.  And my husband like I said before loves projects, so what can I say.

My concern is this one is so old will it be reliable?  But we all like the floor plan even without a slide, I didn't think I would ever say that.  But the way the couch and recliner sits its quite roomy.  But who knows.  We will see how it goes, we could sell both later and add some money to it and get newer.  Time will tell.

hubby said he wants to double check the brakes before he takes it.  He was saying something about making sure a cam?? is ok.  I don't have any idea what he is talking about but I will learn.

Free play in an air brake system doesn't show at the pedal - unlike hydraulic brakes where excessive free play makes the pedal sink further before the brakes apply.  The only way to tell if air brakes are properly adjusted is to check how far the brake cylinder linkage at each wheel moves between it's relaxed position and where the brake shoes contact the drum.

The brake cylinders push on a cam, which in turn presses the brakes against the drum.  There's a limit to how far the brake cylinder can move the brake shoes, so if the brakes are too far out of adjustment you might run out of travel before the brakes fully apply.  Most air brakes are self-adjusting, but some have to be manually adjusted on a regular basis.  Tom's checking the free play at the cam to verify that the brakes are adjusted properly.

I'm pretty sure he said they are self adjusting brakes.  He's outside and I haven't asked him, seems like he said that.

He aired the tires to 95 in back and 85 in front, the inside ones are hard to air but at the truck stop he bought me a set of 3 air connections that will reach in and air them, when he has time he is putting a steel extension so I can get to them easier.

He said there is a separate little air compressor above the battery for the generator.  It's to run the air horns.  He reconnected it and it works, but he said it needs a pressure switch, so I will have air horns!!

He is going to try and change oil and filters on the motor this weekend but he leaves Monday so not much time to get more done.

We are off to clean up a couple of lots we bought for rentals.  We have 8 there now to put 8 used TT's on and rent for part of our retirement income.  We have one up there rented now and another to get ready.  These are for hubby to work on after he retires.

Where did I get 30????  I meant 8.

Carolyn

Have Tom double check the air pressures he is using in the tires. Usually a DP takes more air in the front than the rears, based on 4 corner weighing. Until you get the coach weighed, you should have the pressures set to the amounts on  sticker on the wall to the left of the driver's seat. Also keep on eye on the pressures on the tires with the extensions, they are prone to leaks. The steel extensions are a very good idea.

Will do, but I think he got the pressures off the placard in the motorhome.

They have steel extensions, went through all that grief on my other one NO MORE BRAIDED extensions.

He is just going to put the steel extensions on the inside tires.

Will they are notorious for letting the air out.  It cost me an almost brand new Michelin RV tire when it loosened a little and let the air out.

Ed

I had a couple of flats.  And I kept losing air, would have to air them every time I left a campground almost.  No issue on the front of course but sure had it on the back ones.

So I finally found a shop with the steel ones.  Had them put on the inside and outside tires on the back of the Winnebago.  Now I rarely have to air them and don't worry about them losing air. Since I had brand new tires, I sure didn't want to ruin them.  No more problems.

I found the replacement insulation pads for the Eagle.  I got the Dynamat sound/heat insulation blankets.  It sounds like good stuff, there were quite a few kinds.

While hubby is gone, I'm stripping the skylights out and ordering, after I drive it quite a few times to get used to it.  I doubt I can get the solar panel off. I have the coating material ordered and eternabond tape to reseal everything on the top.  I like that stuff.  It has a real long CB antenna up there that hits everything, its going.

Going to hook up the water, hubby drained what water was in it, we need to sanitize the tanks.  Want to see if the washer dryer works and if the water lines are ok.  Also check out the water heater, see if there are any leaks.  Need to look at the icemaker and see if there is a switch that turns it off and on.  I had it hooked up for awhile and the fridge got cold but it didn't, maybe not hooked up for long enough.  Buy a few new bulbs for inside. I was undoing some that looked dark and dropped them and broke them, drat. I was washing the bulb covers.

Tom tells me this is normal.  When I take off in the diesel pusher, it starts up rather slow to me, once it gets about 35 to 40 it takes off,  he says this is normal. He said then the turbocharger kicks in and then it takes off, its a 300 hp is all. He said remember its pushing almost 30000 pounds around.  I'm used to the V10 taking off pretty good.

Of course coming home he was cruising about 70 mph, like many of us were saying we don't want to do, hummm.

I have so many duh moments.  I kept snooping around and down in a hole at the bottom front of the icemaker is what?  An on and off switch, well duh. :-[

Also tonight I noticed there is a light in the top of the wine cabinet when opened, how cute.

I'm wondering if you can replace those blender bodies that are labeled Nutone.  I'm thinking in one of the Silver Streaks I saw the plastic container for one, have to look.  There is the mounting for one in front of the wine cabinet.  Need to look that up and see.  It may be in there someplace, haven't looked all over yet.

And I see there is a filter under the sink I need to replace.

Carolyn, that nutone blender body you're talking about, is it built into the counter top? If it is I had one once....it was one of the few things my ex took with her. I sure miss it :D

Good deal, I suppose that is a liquor cabinet, instead of a wine cabinet.  The blender is actually made into the countertop in front of it with the icemaker to the left.  Now why do you suppose that is set up like that. ;)

I will order one then.  We like smoothies for breakfast instead of liquor.  But if it works will save bringing my blender from home.

Hey, I just bought the best blender I've ever had. It's called a Ninja.  The thing has a tall spindle in the middle with 3 blades.  When you put on the top, the spindle fits in a little hole in the top.  The top has a handle that pushs down and fastens, you push a button to release it.

The blender container goes on sideways and fastens to the top with a quarter turn.  It has 3 levels and a pulse.  It says you can use it as a food processor too.  When its washed in the dishwasher, the bottom part doesn't hold water so the thing rusts.  I paid about $80 online for it.  Its the best blender I ever bought. 

We went for a spin today, finally got time though I was tired.  Drove about 70 miles, I told hubby the gas gauge didn't move.  He said you better hope it didn't on a 150 gallon fuel tank and that small number of miles!  I never thought of that.

Wow, it hums right along.  He felt the steering had a bit to much play so adjusted it before he left.  I didn't drive it before so don't know, but its great.  Can buzz down the freeway one handed driving at 65.  I had it to 70 a few times still goes great but I think 60 to 65 is better for me unless I'm out on the wide open plains somewhere, I guess I'm to old to feel comfortable driving that fast for now in basically a bus.  The cruise control is nice but I didn't have it on long.  It seems to hum along at about 1.8 rpms or 1800 I guess that is.

I did fine, but I do have to remember there is a lot behind me when turning.  It will just be a matter of me getting used to it.  I want to get the sound deadening in front over the generator and see if that makes a difference.  I didn't have it on but when I do, want to see about that.  Also going to put it in the engine compartment, I got 36 sq ft and its heavy. The problem is the bed and board are so heavy I'm not sure I can raise them by myself to do this stuff.  Hubby was really straining to do so.  Big heavy duty stuff here. And I doubt I can pull the generator out, hope I can check the oil on it from the top.

I drove into a Target parking lot and out a mall area, around the downtown of Conroe and just places with traffic to see how it feels. Sunday is one of the lighter days here.  Also through some road construction, I never like that but we did fine.

And the hardest part was getting out of my driveway.  It's 16 foot wide and inset about 8 to 10 foot so you can get off the road here to get to the gate so you have a chute of about 10 or more foot  maybe 15 not sure, to manuver to get in the yard.  Also the road has a deep ditch on the other side.  Thankfully there was no traffic as I had to get out twice to check how close to the ditch and also had to back up about 5 feet before getting out, will take me some practice but I did it.  Getting in same thing went a bit to far forward, had to back up about 3 feet to angle the turn right.  I brushed the keypad for the gate but angled the back enough to get away from it.  But I made it and got it back around the tree and under the RV cover.

Yeah!  did all that, I'm pretty proud.  Driving it is not an issue, the airbrakes aren't bad, just have to remember. 

So I talked with hubby and told him I was hooking up the water, he had drained the tanks.  The valves are nicely labeled as to what they are for and on and off, its a permanent kind of material so original.  I hooked up the water, he said watch for leaks.  I don't see any anywhere.  I felt the water pressure was a bit low, need to check and see if I have a hose kinked, but its not great in the house tonight for some reason, we have well water.  I took one screen off and it had debris in it, water works everywhere.

I turned on the icemaker and its cooling but I didn't see water filling the tray so have to check on that, maybe a turn on somewhere??  I started the washer, it filled and started washing.  I kept fiddling with a knob at the bottom wondering what it was, well I found out!!  Water started gushing onto the floor.  Apparently its an emergency emptying pipe.  Tightened it back and mopped up the water, its still running out there.  Water pump works.  Not sure about the water heater, looks like it is gas and electric.  Haven't tried any gas appliances yet.  I do see in the bathroom the lights aren't working, I tried the GFCI, didn't seem to help, we have an electrical diagram I need to look at, maybe a fuse somewhere.

I need to check how much gas and try those appliances but to late tonight to mess with it.  I'm still beat from working at the other place and have to be up at 7 in the morning, to get materials there.

Ok, icemaker very cold quick, turned it off for now, no water, need to look at diagram.

And spoke to soon, I have water running out of a drain pipe under the motorhome, have to check and see what it is.  Tank overflow, something as there is no off valve on it.  Again to dark, letting washer finish running through cycles.  Back to it later.  There are all kinds of pipes under there. I'm wondering if I missed a knob and overfilled the water tank.  That would make sense, its some kind of drain pipe and located under the motorhome.

Moving forward one small step at a time.

Carolyn,

I hate having to make turns at ditches.  Since it's your own driveway, what about getting some of those "sticks" with reflectors on them to help you judge where the edges are located.  The people in one neighborhood we visit have them and they seem to help.

ArdraF

Carolyn, when you check the water, if it is like ours, we have a switch to fill the water tank which you move to use once you just want to use city/well water.  That might also answer why your ice maker isn't working.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom