OK to Buy a 1998 Sunline Travel Trailer (on Permanent Site)since Sunline Closed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maria0425

Hi All.

I am a newbie and have found this site super informative.

I am thinking of buying a 1998 Sunline travel trailer, (private party sale) parked in a permanent lake front site in a campground on Lake Erie in Westfield near Chautauqua, NY.  (I live in the Buffalo area.)  It also has a 12 X 24 add a room attached for extra space.

My question is buying a Sunline since I read on this forum that the company closed in 2006.  Will that make it hard to get parts should I need replacements of anything?  Are parts still available even though the company went out of business?

I am also interested in hearing from others with a permanent location and use their travel trailers for a weekend getaway near home, always in the same location.

Thanks.  I appreciate any and all feedback.

Hi Maria and welcome to The RV Forum. Most of the internal parts, including appliances, won't be unique to sunline. We have a list of sources for new and used RV parts under the Resources button above.

No parts problem likely from a permanently parked trailer (unless you have to move it for some reason). All the appliances are common to many makes of trailers/motor homes and they are usually available almost everywhere. Documentation for many are likely available on line by a search online using Google or similar search engine for the make and model needed or looking on http://bryantrv.com/

I would be more concerned about water intrusion around the roof edges, penetrations, window frames etc as indicated by water stains/ discoloration on the inside walls and ceilings. Regardless, you will have to re-do most of that caulking anyway......

Sunline made a great trailer. I know because I owned one. Have it checked out by an RV tech, especially the appliances, roof and seals since it's been sitting for a while.

Thank you all.  Thanks for the suggestion to get it checked by an RV tech.  I was happy to discover that my local RV dealer offers just such a service for private party sales.  And they will travel the 70 miles where the trailer is located on a permanent site for a reasonable fee.  Will do this first week in May when the seasonal campground opens and I can get power. :)

Here is an old skeptic... 
I was happy to discover that my local RV dealer offers just such a service for private party sales.

Don't expect a favorable report from the dealer. The cynic in me tells me that he wants to sell his own products.  Oh well, such is life,  Caveot emptor.

If I'm reading this right...you are hot going to move the unit, correct??
It it has been hooked to water, elect, and sewage there is a chance things like water pump/tank have been removed and the system perminately plumbed, same for waste tanks.

My concerns would be whether the unit was solid, no signs of leaks and good floors. Fire up the fridge and stove and other stuff. A lot fewer concerns with a parked box than one hauling @$$ down the road.

Look it over good and if you like the deal, I'd say you got yourself a cool place to kick back.

I had a Sunline 2363.  It was very well made, so you're off to a good start.  Like others have said keeping the RV water tight is critical.  Hopefully, you get a good inspector. 

Re permanent sites:  I had a Citation (can't remember the model but it was 27" with a slide) on a permanent site for 3 or 4 years.  It had a Silver Top screen room attached.  It was probably 10X20.  I was living in a city at the time, so it made a fantastic retreat.  I even used it during the winter.  Probably the most important thing to consider is the nature of the campground.  The one I used was all permanent sites with annual leases.  I wouldn't consider one with both permanent and over-night sites.  While I was looking for a place, I visited several of the latter during the summer.  They were Zoos - loud partying, no sense of community, etc.  If the campground is well maintained and managed, I'd say go for it.  It helped me maintain my sanity until I could retire and get out of the city life.  :)

I currently own a Sunline They made a good product sorry to see them go out of business. I might suggest the Sunline owners fourum. Great people that are are always very helpful.

You can fix most problems with RV's as long as they do not involve water leaks which have resulted in water damage.  those kinds of issues generally invole a lot of work.

Sumliner

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom