Old age determines RV choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBar

Never really thought about it but for some advancing age starts to limit RV choices. We sold our popup this summer to one of our local campground hosts. Last fall my wife thought she sprained her ankle on the big slanted step up into the popup bed. We then found out she has osteoporosis and her fibula broke just above the ankle. This spring she had to have a total shoulder replacement. Hated to see the popup go but had no choice.

We still have our Class C but because it has large basement compartments it has 5 steps up to the floor level. She has to use the grab handles with one hand so fewer steps are ideal. We will likely need to trade for a motorhome with tiny basement compartments and fewer steps. Any towed trailer bigger than a popup isn't possible to back up because our driveway is long with a 10% grade uphill and no room at the top. A Class B is just too small. Do they even make a Class A with only a couple steps up to floor level? Is a Class C with tiny basement compartments our only choice?

As much as I don't like the company and their build quality, I have to say you might want to take a look at the Thor Vegas / Thor Axis coaches, are in between a Class C and Class A (built like a class A, but on an E450 bare chassis) and have a fairly easy entry step on the couple of models I have seen. Though they may be tight in other places, like bathroom / shower space, etc.

Sometimes the only choice is no choice other than to give up a certain lifestyle. We enjoyed tent camping and then RVing for many years. We now have a stationary park model. We really aren’t that old..71/70. But we both suffer from joint problems; hips, knees, necks and backs. We don’t have the hang up about sleeping in hotel beds that some folks do so we enjoy staying hotels on trips. We still have a small TT in our driveway. I have some work to do on it, mostly cosmetic. Haven’t decided whether to sell it or move it down by the park model as extra space for guests.

Have you looked into something like a mechanical assistance step for your current rig? (The cover photo shows a woman walking down steps.....bad cover photo....lol. If you watch the video, it shows the product which is basically a lift for your entry door that raises or lowers the passenger to RV-floor height, or the ground.

Something like this:

I wonder if anyone has ever adapted a wheelchair lift in the doorway to lift a less than mobile person up to RV level. I bet it wouldn't be that hard.

Googled it and of course they do... Pretty pricey...

1662912607814.png

TheBar's situation clearly demonstrates the fallacy of the "buy the last RV first" thinking. It's not possible. I agree with him, as we age our needs change. I sure hope one of the posted solutions works out for them both.

EX-Calif, have you got a website address for that?

Never really thought about it but for some advancing age starts to limit RV choices.
There is no doubt that the physical issues of aging become important in our RV choices. For us it was that sort of issue that caused us to leave the fulltime lifestyle and then to downsize our RV choice. I am wondering if you might be able to use a folding setp much as we do. My wife has had an ankle replaced with metal, a hip that is metal and then screws inher lower back and so steps became problematic. We now use one of the steps in the picture and we have one of the foldout hand holds on the side of our RV next to the door.
1662925194622.png

The title says it all. The timing is perfect, too, as we just got home from a weekender.
My wife has spinal stenosis, the openings in the spine for nerves to exit are calcified, pressing on the nerves. She can walk, but with great difficulty and pain. When we bought the motorhome 12+ years ago she could navigate the steps well enough, but now it's to the point it's dangerous. And moving around inside is no easy task either.

We've talked about getting a new(er) MH built lower to the ground, so not as many steps to climb, a class C or even a trailer. I too, am getting to the point that climbing the steps is sometimes too much, the old knees and hips just ain't what they used to was. Better and more substantial hand rails would be nice, too. And it's not just the steps. The bathrooms are probably the biggest issue. No walk-in shower, throne is too low. Cabinets and counters are too high. Lots of little things that we never used to think about are now landmines.

She has a platform lift in her van that uses a web strap on a spool to lift the platform, with wheelchair, that then slides into the van, very similar to the lift shown in the video. I know Winnebago makes a couple of accessible models but the premium above the base model puts them out of reach. And I see they discontinued the Advernturer version.

Kevin

My wife had surgery for this. Doctor told her the surgery wouldn’t make it better, it would just prevent it from getter worse.
She has been adamant that there will be no back surgery. We both know people who’ve had surgery and they keep going back to have it redone. She’s 71 and now there are other health issues that make her a poor candidate. I’m afraid when my knees finally give out that I will no longer be able to assist her and our traveling days are done.

Kevin

I also have bad joints from head to toe. Right knee replaced 11 yrs ago. Not bad, but sometimes frustrating. Large left toe joint replaced. Anyway, we just sold our 24 FT and am looking at a Class B just to have it to travel. Will stay in hotels and military bases also. I agree, getting old ain't for wimps, but I sure can gripe a lot about it.
Enjoys yourselves today, cus you might not be able to tomorrow.

TheBar's situation clearly demonstrates the fallacy of the "buy the last RV first" thinking. It's not possible. I agree with him, as we age our needs change. I sure hope one of the posted solutions works out for them both.

EX-Calif, have you got a website address for that?

Sorry for the delay. That one is at Camping World

Google - "RV door wheelchair lift" Many options in similar price ranges.

As much as I don't like the company and their build quality, I have to say you might want to take a look at the Thor Vegas / Thor Axis coaches, are in between a Class C and Class A (built like a class A, but on an E450 bare chassis) and have a fairly easy entry step on the couple of models I have seen. Though they may be tight in other places, like bathroom / shower space, etc.
Thanks, good suggestion. I don't remember seeing a Class A with a door that low. I like being them being 25'-8" but of course that means wet baths. And their weight between 12.5K and 14.5K is right at the limit of the e450 chassis. But since we travel light they might work.

I wonder if anyone has ever adapted a wheelchair lift in the doorway to lift a less than mobile person up to RV level. I bet it wouldn't be that hard.
Another good suggestion. I wish it would work on my current Class C but it has 2 steps outside and another 3 narrow steps inside where there is no room for a lift.

Sometimes the only choice is no choice other than to give up a certain lifestyle. We enjoyed tent camping and then RVing for many years. We now have a stationary park model. We really aren’t that old..71/70.
Unfortunately true. We are 70/66. A lot of people think of RV owners as senior citizens but RVs are not really designed for senior citizens.

Growing up my parents took us camping every possible weekend so camping is in my blood. I may end up like my dad who kept his last Class A until his late 80's just to take the grandkids camping. Which was really just a good excuse for him to keep camping long after my mother wasn't up to it :)

Have you considered experimenting with a portable ramp like a handicap from the ground level? I don't know your complete vertical height. Of course its a bit of a hassle to carry it unless you have a ladder to fasten it to, possibly?. But maybe try one out of 3/4" plywood with small molding sides on it. There are brackets avaliable that you can put on the top face of the rise to the ramp. These should work with a rod across the rise if the incline is not too much.

my current Class C but it has 2 steps outside and another 3 narrow steps inside where there is no room for a lift.

a lift for your entry door that raises or lowers the passenger to RV-floor height, or the ground.
In message #4 Skookum said the Life Essentials RV Step Assist does deliver to “passenger to RV-floor height”. The video shows a platform placed over the top step so passenger steps into RV at floor level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom