Old Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loydstuts

When did I get old?

I was in my favorite store recently, when a young family was blocking the way. The mother looked up and told her children, ?Move over, kids, and let the old man by.?
Old man, indeed!  I looked at them and just shook my head in amazement, and drove the power cart around them.  Why, I?m not so old, am I? I decided that there must be a test I can take.  I mean, you can find anything on the internet, can?t you? But to my dismay, I could find no such thing.  So, I did what any young, er, mature guy would do. I made one up. Of course, I knew I had to share it with you. Here goes.

You?re only as old as you feel.
I woke up this morning, feeling pretty good. Then I tried to get up. Let?s see?Back didn?t hurt?too much?knees didn?t lock up ? well both of them didn?t.

All your senses are alert.
My wife said something as I was getting up. I put my hearing aids in and asked her to repeat it.  She asked me to fix some breakfast, I agreed. When it was ready, I put my teeth in and we enjoyed a good meal.

Your body is firm and youthful.
Hmmm? Hair is grey, skin is wrinkled, I have a spare tire big enough for a semi truck.  Doesn?t look good for me.

As you get older, you get wiser.
Score one for older, wiser, not so much. That?s a plus, right?

All this is, of course, in jest. There is no test to determine if you are old. What we need to remember, is, as we age, we owe the next generation, and need to share the values we were raised with. Things like respect, and empathy. We need to instill in them a solid value system. The ten commandments is a good start. I respectfully ask each of you to look at your life, and ask yourself ? Am I getting old? Or just feeling that way?
Good thing the test was made up, I was getting worried.
Be blessed, today and everyday.

I didn't even know I was getting old until I looked in the mirror and saw my dad staring back at me.

There are three things that happen when you get old.
1st: You start to loose your memory.

let's see, can't remember what the other two are???

I was going to start by saying, "All joking aside", but I was afraid I'd forget where I put it. :mad:  And that, for me is the measure of "old"...your sense of humor.  Parts will hurt or no longer function well or be totally missing, but as long as you can joke and laugh about it, you're not so old. :)

I'm having trouble getting up and down off my knees, it just started a couple years ago. I think that is a sign of getting old. :'(

PatrioticStabilist said:
I'm having trouble getting up and down off my knees, it just started a couple years ago. I think that is a sign of getting old. :'(
Naw, that just means you should kneel to no one. ;D

There's a retail store I sometimes visit that has a Senior Discount. The secret is, you have to ask.They all think it's insulting to offer it to anyone :-\. So when I check out I say "That's the geezer price right?" :D  Works every time and no one else knows.

I've really seen a difference since my heart attack in Sept. of 10. I've lost a lot of strength. Put new tires on the rig last fall, had to have my son come out and load um up for me. I'm still able to change them however, with a 4 ft. cheater pipe. Seem to take a lot more naps now too.

Since losing her hair to chemotherapy a couple years ago, my wife has worn her hair in its [now] natural silver color. She decided she didn't want to waste any of the time left to her on coloring her hair. My hair, however, is still a light brown. When we go to a fast food restaurant, they automatically give her the senior discount & freebies, but not me. Do they think I'm taking my Mom out to lunch at McD's? Does that make her more "senior" than me (I'm actually 9 months older)?

My body knows it's old, and so does my mind (when it can remember it, anyway). My attitude, though, is still young.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Since losing her hair to chemotherapy a couple years ago, my wife has worn her hair in its [now] natural silver color. She decided she didn't want to waste any of the time left to her on coloring her hair. My hair, however, is still a light brown. When we go to a fast food restaurant, they automatically give her the senior discount & freebies, but not me. Do they think I'm taking my Mom out to lunch at McD's? Does that make her more "senior" than me (I'm actually 9 months older)?

My body knows it's old, and so does my mind (when it can remember it, anyway). My attitude, though, is still young.

Oh,you didn't write that where she can read it???? You had better run out and get you "I'm sorry stuff" right now. :-\

Chet18013 said:
They define "You're as young as you feel". But the this doesn't define "feel" as to which it is, mental or physical.

So I guess, you just have to take your choice, depending on how you feel.
Old as you feel???? Ya right. My mind still feels very young, wife says you'll never grow up. The body says something completely different. I pulled the trans out of the sons race car tonight and went through it. When I got done he had to help me get up. Only takes me a couple hours to go thru a power glide. Be hitting the track in a couple more weeks. ;D ;D

Just Lou,

I have had the same experience. In fact, I have my father's last driving license somewhere and it looks just like mine today!! :)

My brother is the one with the look-alike claim. But I have the arthritis and some other things that match my maternal grandfather and uncle.

Several things I've noticed lately,

I get winded playing chess.

When I sit in a rocking chair, I have trouble getting it started.

I can remember when candy bars were a nickel.

Everything hurts, and what does't hurt, doesn't work.

:(

Back
Top Bottom