Older MHs=steel fuel lines needing replaced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Maxwell

Moderator Emeritus
In November, I was reviewing issues prior to leaving on a long trip in Dec. I came on these words from the PO:
"Before you take the coach out next summer, replace the fuel lines. There are some rust spots and I've put in some rubber splices." All steel lines eventually have to be replaced. Have a competent mechanic inspect yours.

This is "next summer," so  made an appointment at Cummins Rocky Mt to have them replaced. The 90 gal tank had to be dropped to get the metal lines through and out. One of the rubber splices was already leaking and almost disintegrated in the mechanics hand.  The OTR diesels are now using composite rubber flexible hosing with three layers. The mechanic worked an hour overtime to get it finished in a long afternoon.

After several Dr. appointments, we packed up and left on Dec 11 for Tucson with stops planned in Deming and Benson. We were going down in alt, so it was easier towing; however, the engine was sluggish and and I wondered if something was shook lose and caught in the fuel filters. Jerry, Jeff? and Don and I talked about it and came to no conclusions. After the move to Lazydays to wait for my toad's drive-shaft disconnect to be returned, I decided to get the fuel starving? looked into. Liz recommended WW Williams. They are top of the line on diesels, Allison, generators and  promise to diagnose the problem in less than two hours and complete the repair or fix within 30 min of the estimated time. They succeeded.

The solution? Following my description of felling fuel starved, they got out the gauges. Fuel pressure is supposed to be at 20-25psi at the engine. It ranged from 5-)psi as they worked their way from front to tank. It never changed. The Cummins mechanic had put them between the cushioned support bands and the tank as the steel lines had been --it was the shortest route. The new flexible hoses were effectively placed in a tourniquet.  :mad: For 500 miles I had to work my way up the gears very slowly with only maybe 5psi to get me to the next gear and a little more speed.  ::)

You should see and feel this '94 dp now, just like a stallion! ;D ;D ;D

If you have an older coach, make sure your steel lines get replaced when it is time and that the new lines don't get pinched!

Charlie Two Tracks said:
Thanks for the heads-up Bob. I will check mine out this Spring. I never thought about that.

I share Charlie Two Tracks appreciation and thanks for your "heads-up". As my DP is also a '94 & has a 90gal fuel tank and quite possibly the same power plant it hits very close to home..

At Cummins Rocky Mt in Abq, $ 1200. However, their installation destroyed them.

WWWilliams, http://www.wwwilliams.com/. They did the diagnostics and installed the same brand new fuel lines for $610.00. They say what they mean and do what they say.

Back
Top Bottom