Older RVs and travel trailers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fueledbymusic

Im new at the RV world! Very new! Meaning never never owned, driven one. And been in one once or twice in my life! I'm 41 years old btw. Have 2 little daughters 3 yrs and 5 yrs.

After stumbling a number of ads for RVs and trailers for sale by accident. Many I liked (and can afford) are about $5000. Typically seen motorhomes. Year in the 80's. Example. Very clean 1984 Pace Arrow 33 footer $6200. An 83 Pace Arrow for $3500. And for travel trailers, I saw the $5000 range trailers are on average of 10 years newer than the motorhomes. Very impressive! To me anyway.

Now for my information!

Since I want to try something new to me! I feel like I want to buy one of those motorhomes or travel trailers. The first things that comes to my mind for what I want one for. It would be mostly for the thrill of a "second" home within my home. You know, when we get tired of the same old living room, just go to the RV and hang out there! (or if my wife kicks me out of the house, I can sleep in there too, hahaha) LOL LOL. This is probably mostly what I want one for. But also, I think I would like to try camping (for the first time in my life) or just go to a local area and try sleeping overnight in a RV park (or what ever they call it) nearest to me... You know, a once in a while local thing say 20-30 miles one way. Try something different. Definitely not cross country, nothing like that. Or even go to my wife's family 90 miles away, and sleep in the RV just for fun. That's an example of what I imagine I would like to do too. And that's all I can think of. But probably mostly as a "hang out" home so to speak! I can imagine I probably wont be driving more than say a couple thousand miles a year!

Oh yes, my garage in the back. So in that case I would be able to park a trailer or motorhome in the backyard of the house, so parking it would not be an issue for me here! Nice!

So for my questions for you guys who know better than me. What would you buy if you were to have a situation exactly like mines? Or what would be great for this situation. And budget is about $5000

Some motorhomes I seen for the $5000 range. The typical year is 83-86. And some of those, they appear very clean! And the owners claim that it runs great! And or everything works fine. I even seen a video of one ad for a very clean 1980 model, and even started the engine. Sounded good based on the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcS0o4bOSEQ And the smog been taken care of and all of that. And the typical milage is 30k to say 70k. Wow, less than a 100k miles. And when I look at the photos, the RV look very impressive to me anyway. example 83 Pace Arrow http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/2615565722.html  and 84 Pace Arrow http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/2577380480.html

And for the travel trailers. For the same price range, I saw I can get something more modern. On average 10 years newer than the motorhome. Even more impressive to me.

Well anyway. The questions.

Motorhomes:
1) Are those older RVs OK? (for what I want it for)
Are they trustworthy. Would you buy that 84 33 footer if it apears to be good condition, good running after testing it?
2) Alot of those have low milage by my definition anyway. Talking about 30k, 40k, or 60k miles for being a 25 year old RV? Do those really have that low of miles?? Can I believe in that??
3) Do I need a special license to drive those? Example, the 84 Pace Arrow? Or a car license OK?

Travel trailer:
3) How much would one about 15 feet long typically weigh? A 20 footer weigh?
4) Would I be able to pull one of those with my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3l V6?

And lastly
5) Which one would you buy if you were to have the same situation and want as me, and a $5000 budget, a $5000 83-86 motorhome, or a $5000 93-95 travel trailer.

Again, I would mostly be using as a "second, hang out" home. And once in a while local camping. And probably not use for more than a couple k miles a year.

If it were me and I say just me, For that money I would buy a TT. You wouldn't have to depend on it to get you anywhere. You would just pull it with you. Their are a couple of people on here that have bought older ones like that and are restoring them and seam to really enjoy it. Just depends on what you want to put into it in the end

Well, as mentioned above, your Caravan is not a tow vehicle.  I would not even consider it for towing a travel trailer.  So unless you were looking to get a truck of some kind to pull with, I would not consider a Travel Trailer.  An exception might be a pop-up or one of the hard sided Hi-Lo type (Hi-Lo or TrailManor). 

So, that leaves you with the motorhome.  You can certainly believe the miles.  Remember, many of these were purchased with the same thought as you have...weekend type recreation and getaway.  So the miles are slow to accumulate.  As for reliablility, that's always a crap shoot.  If the seller has maintenance records, that's the best situation.  But most of them in the years you are looking at will not have that.  So it will be off to a trusted mechanic to give it a good once over.

Another thing to be aware of in those older motorhomes is leaking.  Be sure and check out all the seams and cracks and crevices and look for signs of water damage.  Sometimes it can be pretty well hidden.  Even if you find some, it may be something you can live with...but that will ultimately be up to you.

And finally, with the right motorhome, you could possibly set it up to tow your Caravan, so you can take your "local" transportation with you when camping.  So instead of your Caravan being the tow vehicle (not recommended), it could be "The Toad".

Good luck!

Hello and welcome to The RV Forum.

Your ideas are sound and you have come to the right place.  We have many members and all levels of experience and expertise.  Our library is chocked full of information that will be helpful to you now and later.  When you are unable to find what you need just ask and we will be there.

It is likely that once you begin camping with the family you will be hooked.  Most of us started that way.  Camping with family can allow for family involvement like you may have not previously experienced.  Setting around a campfire making smores with the kids is special.  Just guessing but, I suspect if you look at all RVs and RVers you would find that most of their camping is done on weekends and relatively close to home.

The use that you describe appears to lend itself to a TT.  MH or TT of that age will undoubtedly have issues sooner or later.......... refrigerator, water heater, water pump, etc.  MH engine and drive line isn't a big deal.................. they can be repaired and kept running for a long time.  Leaks occur in any and all RVs and are easily dealt with assuming that they are handled early.

A TT is going to require a tow vehicle.  A MH leaves you without a vehicle to run around with at the destination unless you tow something behind.

The MH is far more fun for the family while traveling down the highway.

Welcome aboard!

A trailer would be ideal for your needs, but that Dodge Caravan is limited to about 3500 lbs max, and that has to cover passengers as well as the trailer. That is not much trailer - probably a big pop-up type or maybe a 16 foot traditional travel trailer. 15-18 feet is probably 3000-4000 lbs. Older ones are a bit lighter than current models.  When shopping, look at the trailer GVWR, not its dry (empty) weight. It won't be empty when you tow it.

A motorhome is expensive to have sitting around. You have to insure it like a car, and maintain the engine and drive train as well as the "house" part.

Mileage: RVs typically travel much less miles than a car. The average is under 6000/year and many are much less. But tires, belts , hoses, and various seals deteriorate with age whether driven or not. In fact, they often deteriorate more if not driven much. So mechanical wear is low, but age wear is still a concern.

Buying a $5000 motorhome is a crap shoot. You had better be a handyman, cause it will cost an arm and a leg if you have to pay somebody to fix/maintain every little thing. There will be a lot of "little things", even on a much newer rig.

Thanks guys. That is very friendly information I recieved! Thanks for you guys information!

Its a good thing that I am a handyman! Good thing. I do work on cars. Been working on cars for 20 yrs. I'm sure the motorhome engines are the same like a car. I seen chevy, ford or dodge V8s in them. And yeah I can do things like replace belts, hoses, and brakes etc etc.

That above would be of big help, wouldn't that be if I chose a MH?

But I would probably be concerned about tires on a MH, cause I can imagine the price of those on a motorhome, such as the 83 pace arrow.

I was just wondering? If its not the engine of the MH. Besides leaking, what would be a typical issue with the house part of the older MH. I can imagine, the appliances, what about the faucets, shower, and electical outlets, do those commenly have problems?

I can agree, even if I can work on a car myself, it can still be expensive... The parts!

It might be helpful to look at the pre-delivery inspection checklists in the forum Library -- that should give you an idea of the sorts of issues to look out for. Do have someone knowledgeable about RVs check the house part. Leaks and such can be subtle but expensive. Good luck!

You can't spend $5000 on a Motorhome. There will be unknown expenses to keep it in your driveway. That's not particularly a bad thing, but just the facts. Some have already been mentioned in this thread and some aren't known until they happen.
If you want the experience without the risk, rent a Motor Home and take that close buy weekend away. You should also be able to rent a trailer for a week or less to get a feel for what you like and don't like.
I don't know where you live, but in Southern California at Lake Castias you can rent a TT. They will have it all setup on your site when you arrive and will take it away when you leave. That can't be the only place offering that kind of service.

Owning a Motor Home of any age can get quite expensive. It's best if you can do at least some of the Maintainers/Repairer yourself, but it's a constant effort to keep it in shape. Not a daunting job but time consuming and sometimes costly.

Look before you leap.

I was in the position this past spring.

I got a 1987 National RV Dolphin motorhome for $6000 with 90,000 miles.

I had a mechanic check the truck part, and I checked the motorhome part.

The truck part is in good shape the body in fair shape, but good enough for us and weekends out.

We have had about 15 nights in it so far, and spent a little in upkeep.

All in all, a nice purchase and I would do it again!

handy w/auto mechanicals is a good skill to have.
Motor homes don't love to sit. You mentioned you don't plan to drive it much.
I think a popup is calling your name. Light enough to tow behind a minivan (I've done it, it's an easy load)
popups are simple machines, not complex costly beasts like MHs.
popups are very affordable. I think for 5 large you could into into the castle of used popups and be the prince of your kingdom
popups have become really neat campers in recent years or you can go a simple as you like
most RVs of all types don't accumulate many miles. this is much harder on the motorized ones, but works to your benefit with a popup

I don't remember what my Caravan 2003 's towing capacity was exactly but my 2010 Grand Caravan capacity is only 2000 lbs. The 2003  was not much more, if any!!

This is not a tow vehicle by any means except for, perhaps, a tent trailer.

google Aliner for a fun option

I towed an old school popup no problem with a family of 4 in a late 90s ford windstar, easily. that may be more robust than an 01 caravan

We had a '95 Caravan ordered with the towing package; largest engine, larger radiator, 3500# hitch. Towed our trailer and race car (3600#s) between New Hampshire and Elkhart Lake, WI and the only problem we had was the first time we went down a steep hill at Watkins Glen and hadn't learned yet to downshift.  :-[ :'(

That was great info. Well I guess after a week of research. And from you guys thoughts. I decided that a travel trailer was indeed calling my name LOL. I went for the bigger 24 footer travel trailer cause I do like it somewhat roomy. And I feel that this type of trailer is my style.  Just bought one today for $5500. It's a 1994 Prowler. I had the salesman demo the items. Everything does work in it. Looked clean. Air conditioner works good. Well I dont know all that much if this is a good deal or if I got ripped off, but I don't care. Im very happy with the purchase. I intend to keep for a good while. And like I say, I dont think I would be camping all that often. And use for the fun of a second home!

As for the towing of it. I will be using my caravan to go cross- countr............ just kidding!
I will be looking to buy a truck that would be good for tow a 6000 gross weight trailer. Probably will sell my caravan to get a good used truck for it. Not in a hurry though. Maybe I can rent a pick up from Uhaul or something. LOL

Sounds like you made a sound choice. If you got ripped off or not is behind you now and doesn't matter. What matters is you like it and it fits your needs. The best RV is your RV.
A used truck can be a handy thing to have around even when you aren't camping.
Anyway it sounds to me like you got things in perspective and bought a unit you can use and are making the right steps to many good times with your family.

Congrats

Theberrys said:
A used truck can be a handy thing to have around even when you aren't camping.

Congrats
Thanks! Oh yes, about the uses of a truck, thats one of the big things that sealed my choice. Definitely be handy thing to own! Even as a daily driver if I had too anyway! I dont use my caravan that much, so it would work out for me, a truck!

Back
Top Bottom