OMG Gas VS Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kramer1113

Our original intent was a Diesel pusher. Then my wife started looking at the "Value" of a Gas model. When I tried to stand my ground with Diesel she pulled the old "Why?" question.. Heck I don't know... MPG? Life of motor? What am I defending?
I need any and every "Correct" answer to defend my Diesel position. Please and Thank You.

Putting aside for the moment the basic "gas vs diesel" question, IMO a key difference is that regardless of manufacturer DP's represent the "higher end" of the MH models being produced.  In theory you ought to be able to buy equivalently equipped gas and diesel MH's but you can't.  Diesel models will sell at a higher price point not just because of the expense of the engine and transmission but also because they are better equipped coaches starting with the air suspension and continuing through pretty much all finishing details.  For example, try to find a gas coach with air suspension and a hydronic heating system--you won't be able to.

As for the primary gas vs diesel issue, there is no correct answer.  Owners of both will fiercely defend their choices.  I happen to enjoy having the engine 40 feet behind me which makes for a quiet, pleasurable ride but, beyond that, a gas engine will get you up every hill you will encounter.  For me, it boils down to wanting all the other things that are usually bundled in a diesel coach.

Joel (AKA docj)

I can tell you that the DP cost are more than the gasser. I just traded a great 2000 gas rig on a 2004 DP and its been a "fixer upper".I should have checked it out better. If you can afford the cost or can do the work yourself it might not be so bad. I would go back to my gasser if I could. I'm going to stick it out for a few years and give it a try. Just think hard before you purchase. (and look the unit over real good)

Diesels have larger fuel tanks so they visit fuel stations less. I detest refueling.

They go longer between oil changes.

If I could add an extra gas tank to my gasser I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There's something to be said for the smooth, quiet(er) ride of a DP compared to most gas rigs - especially when climbing long steep grades. Having the engine 40 feet behind you, and riding on airbags makes the ride more pleasant. If you're like us, and you regularly climb and descend 6% grades (or steeper) while towing, a DP with a Jake-Brake makes makes it easier. Compared to our previous two gas coaches, the load-carrying ability, towing capacity and spaciouness of our DP is night and day.

When looking at motorhomes, I think it's best to sit down and objectively discuss/decide what you're actually going to use it for - weekend camping getaways and vacations, or longer more frequent trips, or full-timing while towing and/or carrying heavier loads (There are other considerations as well.) Buying a DP, just for the sake of having a DP, can end up costing you a lot more money than is necessary, especially if a gas coach would better suit your needs.

Gas coaches have come a long way in recent years. They're much quieter inside than they used to be, many are very well equipped, the Ford V-10 that's used in many of them has plenty of power, they're up to 38 feet in length and they're significantly cheaper to buy and maintain than a DP. Our 2011 Tour costs 4 to 5 times as much in annual service costs as our previous gas coaches did. (And that's if nothing is wrong.) I took ours in for its annual service two weeks ago, and the bill was $1118.00. (Oil changes for the chassis and genset, lube, filters etc.) Plus $330.00 for two new chassis batteries. Other than the batteries, there was nothing else wrong with the coach.

I always recommend that perspective buyers should pick a coach with a floorplan and amenities that suit their budget and desires, and then accept whatever engine type it comes with. FWIW

Kev

There are a long list of differences between a typical diesel pusher and gas-chassis coach, and the engine is a relatively modest part of it. Chassis strength and weight carrying capacity, air suspension & brakes, more capable (and long lasting) transmission, rear engine vs front (noise & heat location), are a few. And since most DPs are in a higher price tier anyway, they tend to be better equipped, both in house systems and amenities.

As far as the engine, the diesel delivers full power at low rpms, so performs better in typical use, Also delivers better fuel economy for a similar size/weight coach, but typical DPs outweigh and outsize gas coaches. Yes, the engine and tranny last longer, but its doubtful you would ever wear either the gas or diesel out. If a modern gas engine and transmission are good for 150k-200k miles with just routine service, why worry?

I think the size of the motorhome comes into play for the choice of Gas or Diesel.

if you want a  big motorhome get the biggest baddest 600+ hp diesel pusher you can find.

if you are looking at 35 foot or smaller..... a gas rig may be a better choice.

the rig I saw that could be the best of both worlds......a 34 foot, double wall slide, 8 liter workhorse gas pusher,  with an Alison trans....

Having owned a 2014 V10, and then trading down to a 2009 DP. Couldn't be happier with the DP. Living in Pa. and having the kids living in Co. and NM. We do a lot of cross country commuting. The DP wins this hands down. Better handling. We called the V10 the "Wobbly  Goblin" for good reason.  Better ride with the air suspension. Better brakes. On the V10, the brake pedal felt very wooden in feel. Like there was no power to them until almost to lock-up. Better towing. 10,000 lbs vs 5,000 lbs. Better fuel mileage. You can actually talk to the wife going up a hill. With the V10, we had to scream. Bigger fuel, black water, gray and fresh water tanks. More comfort.

If you are going to stick within 500 miles from home, and just use it for long weekends. A gasser wouldn't be that bad. But if you are having ideas about going cross country. DP would be a better bet. If you can, drive both before you buy.

I do not mean to be a smart ass, but why do you want the diesel?  The answer to this question will allow us to better defend your position - if it is defensible.

If you are looking at a 32 ft Class A, you really do not need a diesel, and may have trouble finding one in a 32 ft rig.
If you are looking at a 40 ft Class A. you really need the diesel, and will not find one with a gasser.

PROS for diesel  Last Longer (overkill)    Better fuel economy    More power at lower RPM    Usually located in rear - quieter  Air brakes => air suspension => more comfortable ride  Usually  a larger coach with nicer amenities

CONS of Diesel    MUCH more expensive up front  More expensive routine maintenance  Not needed for smaller rigs (less than 35 ft or so)

PROS for Gasser    Initial cost and maintenance cost    Sufficient power for smaller rigs    Generally good for 150,000 + miles - more than most MH last.    Easier to find service center

Initial travel, to and fro, Florida to Montana. Stay in Montana 4 or 5 months, Florida the remainder in our home. We want comfort and less trouble. Want the feel of Home when we are on the road. We are also thinking Solar is for us. Not to "Save$$ But to be able to dry camp when and where we want.

TonyDtorch said:
I think the size of the motorhome comes into play for the choice of Gas or Diesel.

if you want a  big motorhome get the biggest baddest 600+ hp diesel pusher you can find.

if you are looking at 35 foot or smaller..... a gas rig may be a better choice.

the rig I saw that could be the best of both worlds......a 34 foot, double wall slide, 8 liter workhorse gas pusher,  with an Alison trans....

Have you ever owned both to do a comparaison like you do ?

Russ+Chris said:
Having owned a 2014 V10, and then trading down to a 2009 DP. Couldn't be happier with the DP. Living in Pa. and having the kids living in Co. and NM. We do a lot of cross country commuting. The DP wins this hands down. Better handling. We called the V10 the "Wobbly  Goblin" for good reason.  Better ride with the air suspension. Better brakes. On the V10, the brake pedal felt very wooden in feel. Like there was no power to them until almost to lock-up. Better towing. 10,000 lbs vs 5,000 lbs. Better fuel mileage. You can actually talk to the wife going up a hill. With the V10, we had to scream. Bigger fuel, black water, gray and fresh water tanks. More comfort.

If you are going to stick within 500 miles from home, and just use it for long weekends. A gasser wouldn't be that bad. But if you are having ideas about going cross country. DP would be a better bet. If you can, drive both before you buy.

X2, my first mh was a 1993 DP and today I'm stuck with a 2010 gasser ! Wish I could trade for a 2004-2005 DP !

grashley said:
I do not mean to be a smart ass, but why do you want the diesel?  The answer to this question will allow us to better defend your position - if it is defensible.

If you are looking at a 32 ft Class A, you really do not need a diesel, and may have trouble finding one in a 32 ft rig.
If you are looking at a 40 ft Class A. you really need the diesel, and will not find one with a gasser.

PROS for diesel  Last Longer (overkill)    Better fuel economy    More power at lower RPM    Usually located in rear - quieter  Air brakes => air suspension => more comfortable ride  Usually  a larger coach with nicer amenities

CONS of Diesel    MUCH more expensive up front  More expensive routine maintenance  Not needed for smaller rigs (less than 35 ft or so)

PROS for Gasser    Initial cost and maintenance cost    Sufficient power for smaller rigs    Generally good for 150,000 + miles - more than most MH last.    Easier to find service center

The same question to you, why do you have a diesel pickup ? BTW, I know the answer like you should know the answer why certain people want a DP !

legrandnormand said:
Have you ever owned both to do a comparaison like you do ?
kind of..
having driven very large trucks for 40 years, I still have my CDL-A,  so driving large vehicles is no big deal to me me.  and my wife and I own (and live FT) in a halfway nice 2000 35' double slide Rexhall Ford powered gaser.

Then,  just recently I got to go on a ride along in a beautiful 40 foot Country Coach Magna for a nice 2 hour drive to deliver it.

the full air ride suspension nice and soft, but it was not as impressive as everyone says it is.  And that massive rumble of that Cat C12 was extremely loud everywhere in that motorhome.

I can actually say that diesel engine is way louder than my gaser everywhere inside........ except up front.

I know for a fact there is no way in hell my wife could go back take a nap any where near that deafening diesel engine roar,  and that eliminates a great value a motorhome has to us,

My conclusion .....yes the cabinets and fit/finish were wonderful !  but I could not see any real Diesel Pusher advantage that would justify the double price of my gas motorhome.

Maybe if you drive all day,  every day..... then yes it makes sense to buy a DP.      otherwise I'd rather just get to where I'm going in a gaser, and put all that extra money back into my pocket.

Tony is right about the pervasive rumble, most anywhere from midway to the back. And nobody wants to sleep over the engine compartment (whether front or rear, diesel or gas), though sleeping in a moving coach is not comfortable for many people anyway.

Just being a DP doesn't make a rig inherently better - there have been some low end models that were decidedly underwhelming in ride, handling, and interior furnishings as well. Most DPs, though, are at least as well equipped and finished as top-of-the-line gas chassis coach. They tend to start out where the gas line-up ends in terms of equipment and finishing.

I often see it stated that a DP is 2x the price of a gas coach. I think 1.5x would be closer to the mark if really equivalent models are compared. There is a premium to be paid for the diesel engine, heftier transmission, and air system. Add in what is usually a stiffer chassis with a larger GVWR and you've added about $$45-$50k. You can get a nicely equipped Tiffin Allegro 31 for around $149k (MSRP) and the similar Allegro Breeze DP runs about $195k. The larger and more capable Allegro Red, runs near $250k, compared to around $165k for a similar size gas chassis Allegro. Both are roughly 1.5x their gas counterparts.

Gary,  ( resale value )

mine is realistically worth about $15k, and that C/C is worth about $30k.

I'm not a math major....... but I think that's close to double ... :)

Tony

( note....it's humor people )....or an attempt

Back
Top Bottom