On board generator Vs. portable generator for 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have had both portable  and permanent generators.  Our units have always been 50amps 220volt so when you have a portable genset to fit those requirements it requires a lot of room to store that big a genset. That is why I prefer the permanent mounted unit.  When we had the portable genset it was hooked up to a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank mounted in the bed of the truck. No getting up in the middle of the night to refuel, however took up more space in the truck box. Now we have an Onan 5500 propane genset and we only carry an extra 30lb tank for backup. The best part of the built in genset stop and start is in the fifth wheel no getting dressed to  start or stop the genset.

This woulda, coulda, shoulda, been a poll thread....lol :p

I have a toy hauler TT with a built in and love it; I also boon dock 98% of the time.  My runs on gas, not propane.
As mentioned above, I don't run it continously.  Normally in the AM for the coffee drinkers, and in the evening to run heat or A/C, microwave, and watch a lil TV.  Maybe kick it on a time or 2 during the day to cool off or maybe run the Microwave.
No worry of theft, loading/unloading, fueling, excessive noise, etc..
If its cold out and I run the heat at night and it drains my battery, one of the detectors beep telling me my battery is getting low.  No killing the heat or getting all dressed to go out and start the generator.  I just walk over hit the start button and go back to bed for an hour or so. ;)

It is definately a personal choice, but for the way my outfit is designed and I use it, on baord generator is PERFECT and the only way to go.

rvpuller said:
We have a built in and would never be without it again, when we travel from place to place when you stop for the night or lunch it's just a matter or hitting the start switch and you have power. We have had the same generator mounted in 3 trailers and on this one we have a 14 gal gas tank mounted permanently in the unit. We also have a 650 watt Honda that we sue in the mountains when we are boon docking and have to just charge batteries or watch the tube. We used to carry a 3500 watt Honda generator in the bed of the truck and it was a pain in the butt maybe we just got lazy and that's why we like the built in. It was a life saver on our Alaska trip because we dry camped 46 nights on the trip.

Denny

Hi Denny -
We are wrestling with the same problem - can you provide some pictures of your solution?  And did you buy your FW "gennie ready?"

rvpkw said:
how much propane does a propane generator use running 1 ac?

A LOT especially if you are considering a 5th wheel and 30lb tanks. Seriously though, they do burn a lot of propane, you need a big tank if you intend to use  it often, as does that other big propane hog, the furnace.

The primary consideration though is the output capacity of the generator, a single  AC can need up to 1800 watts or so, more on start-up and while cycling.... How much it will burn is a function of the size of the generator AND the load placed on it.

Back
Top Bottom