Onan 10000 generator trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CollinsTradition07

After 3 months of generator non-use, the dashboard gen start/stop button began flashing on and off for hours at a time. Eventually discovered the 36 code, but when gen was started, it ran fine for an hour. Flashing seemed to slow after running the gen. A second attempt ran for 45 min then gen stopped abruptly, would run for only a minute after that, before shutting down. Began flashing a #1 code, which I read as overheating. Gen was serviced about 6 months ago, new fuel pump, oil filter, air filter. Coolant level is full. Flasher continues to come on, flashing for hours, then shuts off on its own. Loud clicking noise in front of generator accompanies the flashing. Flashing seems to happen mostly at night, when cooler temps prevail. I am looking for answers to resolve the button flashing and abrupt stopping of the gen. Please advise and thank you!

Sounds like the electronic control board has gone whacky. A fault light should stop blinking after 5 minutes (it can be re-started by pressing Stop 3x times), not just blink indefinitely. I don't see anything in the manuals about a fault light spontaneously starting to blink either - it is always associated with a shutdown fault. If you don't have Op and Service manuals for your model & spec-level, get them at https://www.cummins.com/generators/rv-generators/rv-generator-manuals

Yes, a "1" blink would be Over Temperature, but if the circuit board is bad that could be meaningless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom