Onan 6500 Emerald on a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldWinny

I have a '89 Chieftain on the Chevy P30 chassis and was wondering if anyone knows if the 6500 if gravity fed, or uses a fuel pump? Its either the pump or a dirty carb, it's getting a spark.  Any advice or diagrams on pulling the carb/pump would be appreciated.

I am sure it has a fuel pump.  We have an 88 Travelcraft with an Onan 6500 Emerald and it has a fuel pump (also draws off the main tank.

The fuel pump has to suck fuel from the top of the main gas tank.  If there's a crack or leak in the rubber line going from the tank to the metal fuel line, or one in the rubber hose at the generator end of the line, the pump will suck air instead of fuel.

Same thing if the gas tank is less than 1/4 full - the intake only goes 3/4 of the way into the tank, so the generator can't suck the tank dry and leave you stranded somewhere.

These are a couple of easy things to check before you start tearing other stuff apart.

Thank you all for the responses, I will get a chance to check her out this weekend and hopefully its something minor.

Can anyone recommend a replacement fuel pump that isn't the pricey Onan one?

Have you tried starting it from the switch outside and playing with the choke linkage at the same time? Mine did the same thing. Acted like it wasn't getting gas, or had no spark. Just needed to clean up the linkage.

Back
Top Bottom