onan 7500 diesel overheating issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

69x33z28

hey guys  I have a 99 American Tradition and the gen has 8000hrs on it, I  just bought it and don't know a lot about it. It has been sitting for over 1 year and the gen wasn't running. I put in new batteries, changed the oil and filters and got it going. It only runs about 30min and shuts down with a 33 trouble code. I have noticed a lot of carbon build up around the exhaust and there is no exhaust coming out the pipe. There is no exhaust leaks, I have heard that the heads get carbon build up and the valves get carbon build up. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks for the help

Yes the 33 code is overheating. . It does sound like your spark arrester is clogged up. Look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqkHAAH818
Also check the coolant level and not just in the expansion tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LB5ZhvhXas
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Bill

Belt seems like a real possibility after 8000 hours, but I think it would overheat quicker than 30 minutes. Next thought, since it has been sitting awhile, is that the cooling air intake could be obstructed, e.g. a bird nest or whatever (it's underneath). Low coolant is another possibility for slowly overheating.

Here is what Onan says for Code 33:
Corrective Action:
1. Check the engine coolant level and add coolant and repair leaks as necessary (p. 9-1, 12-1).
2. Check for and remove any objects blocking the air inlet or outlet openings in the bottom of the genset.
3. Reduce the number of appliances connected at the same time. (Note that high altitude and high ambient
temperature decrease engine cooling capacity.)
4. Look for a broken or worn coolant pump drive belt (p. 12-3) and replace as necessary (p. 12-1). (Visible
through the maintenance access door in the skid-base.)
5. Remove the air intake grille in the skid-base and check to see that the cooling blower (p. 11-1) is
secure and that the blades are not fouled.
6. Check for air leaks in the housing?missing or loose housing panels and access covers, including
the access covers for the fuses and AC terminals.
7. Clean and flush the cooling system to remove coolant passage fouling.
8. Remove the top housing panel (p. 6-4). If loose, reconnect engine harness spade terminal connector
E3-1 to the coolant temperature sender (p. 12-1, 19-1). (If the lead is loose and touching ground, the
controller will sense a high engine temperature.)
9. While the top housing panel is off (Step 8) , check for fouling of the radiator air passages and clear
out dust and debris with compressed air directed from below (reverse of normal air flow).
10. Replace the coolant thermostat (p. 12-1).

Well if the OP comes back it should be interesting to hear what he finds. I had to have the radiator changed because it was plugged with "crystals" and overheating. I have been running low silica coolant since.
I am hoping it is just a clogged spark arrester or low coolant.
Bill

The Onan 7500 is well-known for getting an air bubble in the coolant hose when adding coolant or if low. That typically shows up as a deferred overheat condition, i.e. it runs a while but eventually overheats.

Well since the OP just bought this unit he should find the links I provided helpful as I would recommend doing a full maintenance on the generator because he has no records.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbritt
Back
Top Bottom