onan choke question problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dog_soldier

on the 84 coachmen senator we have the generator choke seem to be acting up. when i start it the choke seems to take forever to go off. i have to go and open the generator bay and move the choke by hand so the generator will run smooth. i notice that there seems to be a coil that glows in side the choke housing. is this normal for these chokes to act like that? is there a fix for it?

Sounds like a heat operated choke, the coil heats a bi-metal spring that opens the choke.. 

It appears there is an issue with the bi-metal spring.. Possibly bad adjustment.

thanks john
is there a special way to adjust them or do you adjust like a normal choke?

The fact that the coil heats up is a good sign. If the butterfly or linkage sticks the coil will not be strong enough to move it. The butterfly should be closed when cold and as the gen runs it applies 12vdc to the coil through the front of the assy to heat it up. To test connect 12vdc direct to the wire terminal on the front of the choke WITHOUT running the gen. It should heat up and open the butterfly.........if not then probably the linkage is sticky. I believe there are 3 screws holding the front cover on that contains the coil, loosening them will allow the cover to turn. I believe CCW will open the butterfly.      good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom