Onan Generator clicks but will not start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rest of the Story: 

Final results of the saga.

Upon replacing the supply fuel line to the generator we found a crack in the line that must have allowed air to enter the line.  I also added a clear see through in line fuel filter about a foot from where it connects to the generator.  The generator primed quietly without the clicking, (which must be the sound of the pump running dry with air in the line).  It started right away and has been running for an hour now.  It restarts immeadiately.

I did buy two containers of BIOBOR MD and one container of BIOBOR JK.  The JK is the biocide.

I have been talked out of using the additive by a fishing boat captain who warned me that using it for him always resulted in changing the fuel filter several times.  I guess if it is not broke right now I should not try to fix it.

Thanks for all the help, especially Wavery

One more thing.  I am almost certain that the replacement of the starter was not necessary as the new one checked out exactly the same as the old one on the bench. The crack in the fuel line was the problem all along.  I went ahead and put the new one in anyway.  Anyone that needs a starter is welcome to the one I removed for free, the usual stipulation is that you have to give someone else something someday to pass it on.  The part number is 191-2200. 

Hi Huey, 

I have had the same type situation before with my outboard and in the end it was just as you found the cuplprit. 

First let me say I am no mechanic, just like to try to fix stuff.

Thanks for your post as others will benefit from your repair. 

Air in a fuel line is no motor's friend.

Nothing worse than trying to drink your beer through a straw with a hole in it.......  :eek:

By chance do you still have that starter? I am having to jump the Solenoid to get it to start but the starter has had daily use for many years and is probably due to be replaced.
Thanks!

I had the same problem on my 2002 Winnebago Journey.  I checked and cleaned all the electrical connections I could find and verified the 12v was there.  Still no luck.  I then tried something that the HWH hydraulic jack help line suggested when I was having intermittent problems with my slide-outs.  I used jumper cables connecting the 12v (-) contact directly to a bolt on the frame, essentially creating a solid ground path.  Problem cured.  I'm going to Home Depot to get some #2 wire and connections tonight.  Hope this helps others. 

Sure do appreciate this post. Saved me a trip to to the Onan or RV dealer.
Had the same symptoms, clicking but no start. I too assumed bad connectors, and jumped it at the genny 12Vdc posts, no change. Then assumed starter or starter solenoid and pulled same from the coach through the maintenance drawer (What a hoot that top starter bolt is in the blind!).
Starter bench tested fine, so I put it back in and connected all back up. I could crank by putting 12Vdc on the solenoid terminal, but no start. (Note to self, do this first next time to avoid removing starter).
So with all testing good, figured it was internal wiring or controls and off to the dealer I would go, until googled "HDKAK clicks but wont start" and then read HueyPilotVNs post and the whole thread.
Never would have suspected fuel priming was causing the clicking as it sounded just like a solenoid on the starter. Had wifey crank it while I listened and it definitely came from the fuel pump, not the starter.
Pulled the supply and return hose connections, blew down (gently) and flushed lines, test flowed filter and pulled a siphon on fuel line from tank with a vac pump to fill lines and reconnected.
Primed for 1 minute and then held starter for 30 seconds, almost gave up, and suddenly off she ran like nothing ever happened.
Thanks ALL for taking the time to post this one... Saved me a trip...
DTS

Back
Top Bottom