Onan generator issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wbilotta

Older unit circa 2001, Onan 7HGJAB-900A.  It will only run for a few seconds then gives error code #32 which could be a litany of things.  So I changed the oil, no help.  Batteries are topped off.  Connections are tight.

Took it to a dealer and he said they pulled the right side valve cover while the genset was still in the RV and found metal and the valves were not moving.  The genset only has about 950 hours on it.  Should it have died already?

Replacement units are about 5K plus labor.  Lot of money to sink into an RV that's 19 years old. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions? 

I would disassemble the engine to find out exactly what broke.  Maybe it can be repaired at reasonable cost, maybe not, but someone just saying they found metal doesn't tell me much.  That engine should give thousands of hours with good maintenance.  RV junkyards might have a used unit for a fair price.

pull the head off and take some pictures for us. Doesn't make sense that the valve(s) aren't moving unless the cam is broken or completely run flat. How did the oil look, like any metallic particles floating around it?

Deano2002 said:
pull the head off and take some pictures for us. Doesn't make sense that the valve(s) aren't moving unless the cam is broken or completely run flat. How did the oil look, like any metallic particles floating around it?

When I changed the oil it looked fine, no signs of metal.  I'm waiting to hear back from the shop after they drop the genset.

I took it in to have them check it out.  They quoted me 5200.00 for a new unit installed, then called back the next day to say they made a mistake, that price was to only replace the engine, new price would be 7700.00

I declined.  They already pulled the generator so my brother and I are going to look inside and see what the problem is and go from there. 

The generators are expensive. It wouldn't seem practical to replace it in a 2001 but each set of circumstances are different. I would estimate the value of your mh to be in the 20-25k range maybe a little more. Replacing an $8k generator seems a bit much but you will need to take all options into consideration.

Did they give you a total bill for the work they have done so far? That may or may not be included in the replacement cost and I would think if you packed up and left with everything today, that bill would be in your hand.

All they have done so far is pull one valve cover while the genset was still in the RV and then they pulled the genset. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom