Onan Generator will not stay running! Service code 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, another little trick we found is priming the unit with the start switch.  Onan has a 2 second prime feature, press the start/stop button to the stop side for 2 seconds, the light will come on, then press start and it fires right away!  Plus check to make sure the altitude lever is set correctly.  This is located just above the oil dipstick.

Yup on the priming.  Our remote switch even has the position labeled stop/prime for non-tech folk like me.

Ron said:
After investing over $4000 into a genset why not use it.  The most common cause of generator malfunction results from lack of use and carb replacement is usually the fix.  Run those Gensets.  We use ours to run the roof air when AC is needed mainly because it exercises the Genset.  One might refer to this as a USE IT or LOOSE IT thing.

Yep, you're right.  The hours I did use were essentially done in one winter season at the desert. The rest of the year we stayed in places with full hookups.  I have motorcycles, etc that sit during the off-season with no problems so I guess I thought this would be the same deal.

Got lucky this time but definitely learned my lesson. Thanks all!

Hey all - just wanted to give an update on my gen situation.  All seems to be ok now.  Whenever we go out, I run, run, run this thing.  I put 40 hours on the first year, and another 100 the second.  I let the thing run ALL day now, whether I really need to or not.  It seems to enjoy it!!

I still get the error code of 14 when I shut the unit off (after running a long time), then trying to restart the unit several minutes later.  If I wait about 15 minutes or so, all is good. 

I wonder if this is normal????

Hi I had the same problem code 14, but I just ran my generator overnight about a month ago.  What gives?

Ride Everything said:
Hey all - just wanted to give an update on my gen situation.  All seems to be ok now.  Whenever we go out, I run, run, run this thing.  I put 40 hours on the first year, and another 100 the second.  I let the thing run ALL day now, whether I really need to or not.  It seems to enjoy it!!

I still get the error code of 14 when I shut the unit off (after running a long time), then trying to restart the unit several minutes later.  If I wait about 15 minutes or so, all is good. 

I wonder if this is normal????
When shutting it down try running it unloaded for a couple minutes before you shut it off. Not sure if your generator has a mechanical or electronic governor. Onan generators  depending on model could have either. If it has an electronic governor it could take a little time before it slows enough not to over voltage when shutting down.

I had a similar problem with my Onan QG 5500 generator.  It would run for about 2 min then start the governor surge then shut down.  I search various forums and youtube and found a few things to try.  First was to disconnect the fuel line and attach a short fuel line that ran to a 1 gal tank of gas mixed with 1/3 can of sea foam.  Removed the air cleaner and air filter (filter was clean) and sprayed carb cleaner into the carb.  Over the next couple hours I would start the generator and let it run.  At first it would only run for a few minutes then stop.  It progressively would run longer.  I kept spraying the carb cleaner and the generator seemed to run without surge.  The next day I started the generator with the same set up and it ran for about 10 min then surged and shut down.  Another forum mentioned the altitude adjustment.  It was already at zero (I am at sea level at the beach).  I removed the plastic dial from the altitude adjustment and was able to further adjust the jet.  I then started the generator and let it run for 20 minutes and so far it seemed to run fine.  Will check it again tonight.  Previously the generator had set for 5 months without starting.  I am hopeful that the only problem is varnish in the generator but will have to let it run again for a while.

Hi David. Welcome to the RVForum. It could be due to a number of reasons, but one of the most common is lack of use. Onan states that their generators should be run monthly, under a load, for 1 to 2 hours to keep them healthy. Doing so keeps corrosion from forming on electrical components, and reduces the likelihood of fuel varnishing. Fuel varnishing clogs jets in the carburetor and cause floats to stick.

Other causes are low fuel (How much fuel is in the main tank?) Low oil pressure (It has a low oil pressure cut off switch) Not generating electricity, and any number of other failures. Give us a little more info about when you last used it and any troubleshooting you've done, and we'll try to help you out.

Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stark Fire
Back
Top Bottom