Onan Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Tedder

I have a 36' Holiday Rambler with an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 gas generator.  When I start it it will run approx 30 minutes and then acts like it runs out of fuel and dies.  After about 10 minutes it will start again and run for 15-20 minutes and die again.  It is the same when I have both A/C units going and when both are shut off.  I changed both fuel filters and the fuel tank is approx 1/2 full.  Has anyone had this problem or any advice as to what may be the problem?  Thanks, Tom Tedder

Mine used to shut down on the road when they got hot. Sounds as if yours are doing the same thing? Might be vapor lock or a leak in the line when it gets hot. I helped the problem (a lot) by blowing out all of the dust that accumulates on and behind the generator.

Ernie

I have the same genset in my 2000 Pace Arrow and was experiencing the same issues as you have. Mine finally got to the point where it would only run for about 5 minutes before shutting off, then would not start for another 30 minutes or so. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Replaced the pump over a yera ago, and the unit has been flawless. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all with your solutions.  2 RV mechanics said it is probably the fuel pump - I purchased one and it is being installed.  I will let everyone know if the pump was the culprit  Thanks again, Tom Tedder

I installed the fuel pump the Onan Gas Generator and solved the problem.  The pump would get hot after 20 to 30 minutes and the heat sensor would shut down the gen and in about 10 minutes it would cool off enough to restart and then shut down again.  With the new pump the generator runs smoothly and operates normally.
Thanks again for the help.  Tom Tedder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom