Onan hgjab 5500 marquis gold valve lash adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yfx4

Can any of you please post a picture of where the access is to turn the crankshaft when adjusting the valves?

I saw that. On mine the only accessible spot is the bottom of the generator itself, not the engine of the Onan.....is that correct??

I have not checked on my generator, but in the video it looks like the hole is in the bottom of the generator itself.

This is the undesired of mine with the pan removed

Attachments

• 20180317_064148_resized.jpeg
    20180317_064148_resized.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180317_064157_resized-2.jpeg
    20180317_064157_resized-2.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 38
It is the nut on the bottom of the generator that turns the generator motor. I have to say that this was an easy adjustment. Having adjusted valves on my motorcycle through a little hole under the frame, this was a cakewalk.

How far out of adjustment were they?

Were they loose or tight?

Did the engine run quieter?

I think I?m getting some tappet noise from my genny (same model as yours) and adjustment is on the to do list when I get home.

I don?t know the recommended interval, but my hour meter shows 430 and likely has never been adjusted.

Thanks, Tom

They were quite loose. I did not check them before I adjusted so I'm not sure HOW loose.......but they were pretty floppy.

Quieter......less ticking but solid lifters will always make some noise. I replaced the spark plugs since it was such easy access with the valve covers off and they were about due anyway. I also ensured proper gap (they were pre-gapped to over 0.030 and should be 0.025....) changed the oil, cleaned the carb out well.....it sure is smoother and starts better. Oh, I replaced the crankcase breather tube also, it had a crack in it. I get my parts from Tim's Mobile Truck Repair on EBay.

IIRC the interval for adjustment is 450 hours.

The plugs use a 13/16 socket, the nut to turn the engine is 5/8, pulling the airbox and carb is 10mm.... :)

Thanks for the additional info. Having worked in a Honda bike dealership as a mechanic in the ?60?s and owning bikes for many years I?m very familiar with the process. And one got to where feel and sound were good indicators. My genny has ?that sound?.

Are gaskets needed for the valve covers?

Tom

Then you understand why this was easy compared to adjusting the valves on my VTX1800......

Gaskets I purchased are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-Genuine-Factory-Valve-Cover-Gasket-187-6236-2-Pack-Marquis-HGJAB-HGJAC/292477542904

And the breather tube which you may not need and is super easy to go back and replace if you DO need it.:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Cummins-Onan-Genuine-Factory-Breather-Tube-123-2109-Marquis-HGJAB-HGJAC-HGJAA/1223757912

If you still have the second fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, many have retrofitted a barb connection. I think there is an item to replace that filter too. Replacement carbs do not have that second filter...

Yes, mine has the two filters. Seemed like overkill but I replaced both last summer when the fuel pump died.

I?ve not worked on the newer bikes. My brother in law has a bike shop and I?ve resisted his pleas to get me to wrench on them. The new stuff is a real PITA.

Sooooooooooo.....it runs great....but makes no electricity. <bangs head on wall>

yfx4 said:
Sooooooooooo.....it runs great....but makes no electricity. <bangs head on wall>

The Onan control board needs to see voltage from the generator and good oil pressure, or it will shut off the engine.

If the engine stays running, the generator is producing voltage.  Check your outboard connections, starting with the circuit breaker on the generator itself.

I'll do that.

I reset the on board breakers which made no difference. 

The power center shows the genset is running. If I'm plugged in to shore power the power center shows I'm getting genset power but I'm really only getting shore power. If I disconnect shore  power there is nothing. The power center 'thinks' the genset is producing electricity but none gets to the coach.

Perhaps the transfer switch went south.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom