One or both A/C's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shoeless Rver

We recently moved to the coast of Texas. We have NO shade. Is it best to run one AC or both? If I only run one the RV struggles to reach the desired temp. With both on there isn't any problem. However, the cost of electricity is going to be pretty high. It seems to me its easier on the RV to run both AC's. Thoughts appreciated.

It's 90 degrees with 56% humidity. Nighttime isn't an issue. We don't normally run a bedroom ac at night.

I'd be running both too.  In addition to the cooling, air conditioners tend to remove humidity which keeps everything from feeling sticky.  You should see some puddles on the ground outside where the water drips down and out.

ArdraF

Shoeless Rver said:
It's 90 degrees with 56% humidity. Nighttime isn't an issue. We don't normally run a bedroom ac at night.

90 degrees isn't too hot but it will require you to run both in the daytime and just one at night.

I the hot Florida Keys, we have two in our 27 ft travel trailer.
We run them both during the day .
The overhead one in the living room is ducted into the front bed room, the main room and the bath room, and the one in the master bedroom s just a stand alone overhead one.
The biggest problem with them is they are so loud you can't hear yourself think

Jack L

ChasA said:
I would be running both.

Both of mine have issues so for six hours a day I have a mister near the outdoor air intake on one (From 3 to 9 pm) about 1/2 gallon per hour.
And the other (I think it needs a re-charge as it ices up even when clean) I shut down from 9pm to 7am That way any icing melts and I dont' need 'em both when the sun shines on Japan.

You can choose your electric supplier in Texas. If I did nothing here in Ohio, Duke Energy would charge me almost ten cents per kWh plus all the other added stuff. I went on the internet and picked a supplier at 4.5 cents per kWh which roughly drops my cost by about 40% depending on usage. The national average is about 13 cents per kWh. You can do a lot of things to reduce your AC cost but a little research and a phone call can make a significant difference very quickly.

Dollar wise, it really doesn't make any difference whether one or two a/c's run. You have to produce the same number of btus of cooling either way, so one a/c just takes longer.  The only way to save money on cooling is to turn the thermostat up a degree or two.

NY_Dutch, Shoeless mentioned the cost of electricity so I assumed the person has an individual meter / account. I've never received an electric bill from an RV campground. If you lease a space in an RV campground can the landlord make you purchase electricity from them using their account? 

Tom55555 said:
NY_Dutch, Shoeless mentioned the cost of electricity so I assumed the person has an individual meter / account. I've never received an electric bill from an RV campground. If you lease a space in an RV campground can the landlord make you purchase electricity from them using their account?

Our seasonal spot in Mesquite, NV, has an individual meter. We?re charged separately for electricity usage.  The RV park?s overnight or weekly rates include electric so no extra charge.

What Gary said, turn the thermostat up a few degrees during the day.  Our 5?er, 2 air conditioners, will keep the camper about 20 degrees below outside air temperature.  The main area A/C will run a lot to do this.  Bedroom A/C not so much.  The 3 slide toppers and awning really help when the OAT gets near 100 degrees.

If you lease a space in an RV campground can the landlord make you purchase electricity from them using their account?
You are renting the site and services from the campground owner and are not making an independent purchase as a homeowner or apartment renter would. I don't think you have the same options, but it might depend on long term vs short term rent/lease agreement.

One thing that campers are often unaware of is that campgrounds pay commercial rates for electricity, typically much higher than the price/kwh available to residential customers. However, they are subject to state pricing regulation when they re-sell (meter) electric to the renter.  Typically that limits the charge to his actual cost plus any overhead (meter fee, billing cost, etc).

Tom55555 said:

As said, metered sites for long term stays are typically billed separately by the RV park. In some parks, we've even taken our own readings on a form provided by the park that was turned in with our payment. Most short term stays include the electric in the daily/weekly rates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom