Open Range lite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lrh111

Open Range lite
  We are considering purchasing a 5th wheel. The Open Range is of interest since it can accommodate a gooseneck hitch which would provide greater flexibility with my Ford 150 Eco-Boost Super Crew with only a 5 1/2 ft. bed.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the quality of Open Range or perhaps some other 5th wheel that would safely allow a gooseneck hitch to be used

^Agree^ F-150 is not enough truck to pull an Open Range fifth wheel. Or hardly any fifth wheel for that matter. And both the truck and RV dealers will say it will just to get a sale. Some salesman don't know any better and some just don't care. I've got an F-250 and can't pull any of the Open Range fifth wheels, they're just flat out too heavy.

I need to amend my above post. I was thinking about the Open Range 3X. The Open Range Light models I can pull with my F-250, but I wouldn't try to pull one with an F-150. The lightest Light fiver grosses at 9995#. That means a minimum pin weight of 1999# when loaded up to the max (and you will sometime). Your F-150 most likely doesn't have the available pay load to carry the pin weight, the weight of the hitch, along with passengers and any cargo you haul in the truck.

and.... bear in mind most 5th wheel manufacturers do not accept using a goose neck hitch arrangement. There is too much stress on the trailer frame and their use will cause any warranty claims to be refused. Be sure what you are getting into and get it in writing to avoid future problems.

I agree with all of the comments above!!

First, look for the yellow label on the driver door B pillar.  It will give you the max load YOUR truck is designed to carry, based on its' weight as it left the factory.  This is your max payload.

Add together the weight of everything that will go into or on the truck.  This must include the weight of all passengers, pets, firewood, tools, bicycles, misc cargo,  FW HITCH (200#) and 20% of the FW  GVWR.  This total MUST be less than your max CCC from the yellow label.

A 10,000 GVWR camper means 2,000# pin wt, plus 350# passengers and 50# Andersen hitch (lightest available), plus 100# misc = 2500#.  VERY few F150 will have payload values this high.

POINT 2  Almost all FW manufacturers will void the warranty for any frame damage caused by a gooseneck adaptor.  The Andersen Ultimate and B&W Companion hitches provide acceptable FW hitches which mount on a gooseneck ball, but properly support the FW.

Any type of hitch will place the FW pin in the same location in a bed.  This places the FW in the same place with respect to the cab and probable cab damage in a short bed .  A conventional style slider hitch is really required for this bed (think 300#), making your weight problems even worse!

Bottom line - do not pull a FW with this truck!!  It is capable to safely pull a very nice TT, but not a FW.

Here is why you NEVER trust the salesman!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

And just to get back to the question for a minute. A friend bought an Open Range lite a couple of years ago and the "light" floor of one of the slides collapsed with him standing in it. The "lightness" often means making compromises in strength.  Tried, for 6 months to get it fixed & finally had to give up & sell it. They're full timers and had to have a place to live.
Bob

Wow!  Many thanks for the information; but boy, am I confused!  I'd really appreciate more feedback.  First, here is some additional info.  We are considering a 5th wheel or TT.  If we get a TT we like the Grand Design.

My 2016  F150  5  1/2 ft bed /145 inch wheelbase has the 3.5 GTDI engine with the heavy duty trailer package plus larger gas tank.  It is rated for maximum towing for 11,800 lbs.  The yellow sticker says max cargo & occupants is 1572 lbs.  Front GAWR is 3300 lbs.  Rear GAWR is 3800 lbs.

Everything you all write makes good sense.  Here's what confuses me......The 2017 Open Range brochure says that their LF293RLS  5th wheel is made to pull with a late model F150 half-ton with the 5 1/2 foot bed and a HD trailer package with a 10" adapter extender.  It says the truck can turn 90 degree without hitting the cab.

Here are some specs on the LF293RLS.....UVW = 8995    Hitch weight - 1410    GVWR =  10995    Cargo = 2040

Given this, I'd sure appreciate some opinions from those of you experienced folks.  We had a 2010 40 ft Tiffin Phaeton but  sold it after a few years....wife to nervous in it.....plus the maintenance costs!  I really like 5th wheel but don't like the inconvenience of the fifth wheel slider-type hitch.  I use my truck a lot for my landscaping hobby.  Supposedly, the only 5th wheel that will work with a gooseneck hitch on a 1/2 ton truck is the Open Range. 

Everything you all write makes good sense.  Here's what confuses me......The 2017 Open Range brochure says that their LF293RLS  5th wheel is made to pull with a late model F150 half-ton with the 5 1/2 foot bed and
  The F150 the brochure refers to is the F150HD with a 8200-7750 GVWR and bigger 4800 RAWR load E tires and wheels.  The F150HD truck is good for around 2400-2500 lbs in the bed on the rear axle.

Now lets look at your F150 with those very small 3800 RAWR.  These trucks can weigh in the 2300 lb range on the rear axle which will be carrying all of a hitch load. This leaves the truck with around 1500 lb payload before exceeding those small 3800 rear axle/wheel or P tire ratings.
  There are a few small 5th wheel trailers out here with pin weights under 900-1000 lbs such as a http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html[url]. Or you can pull a bit larger TT.

Ignore the propaganda? Half-ton towable 5th wheels are anything BUT half-ton towable.

I'm also about to enter the market for a 5th wheel, and I've already found that there are VERY few that my Duramax Diesel powered Sierra 2500HD can tow? (max trailer weight: 13,900lbs; max payload: 2085lbs (to include hitch)). We too were also initially considering the Grand Design Reflection 5er's, but due to weight, are now looking at the Cougar X-Lites, Durango 1500's, and Jayco Eagle HT models (all marketed as "half-ton towable").

I came from a '13 Ecoboost, and had ~10,000KMs experience towing our 36' Keystone Sprinter. I wrote the second last response on the following thread to share my 2c: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,94957.msg859725.html#msg859725

this has been gone over so many times i try not to chime in but I'm back anyway. lol.

Manufacturer's claims are valid in that yes TECHICALLY you can pull a with b. BUT you have to read the fine print IE: who has the most fuel efficient car? ANSWER - Everyone. The attention is in the details - so to the poster i will use you as a real world example you have a truck with a 1572 PAYLOAD that means the truck with a full tank of gas NO PEOPLE or Cargo of any sort has the capability of pulling 1572 lbs in or on the truck. So add a tonneau cover 50lbs take it off the 1572 add a driver 180lbs take it off add case of beer 10lbs take it off etc etc

Now you have a base line  1572 minus  people =300lbs total , hitch =200lbs total take that off your  1572 your now down to 1072 lbs on YOUR TRUCK

now, Ford isn't lying they do make a 1/2 ton that has a cargo capacity of 3000lbs .  BUT a) its not yours and b) its very hard to find and is probably a base truck that you have to special order - but it does exist just not in the real world

That 1072 is what is the max weight of the pin weight allowable before you exceed your limits

Open Range  make a 5er that falls in the range of a unreal truck in an unreal world but they do make one
Yes with a gooseneck adapter it is towable with a 5.6 box - BUT it voids the warranty - they are not lying just omitting the details
The pin Open Range advertized pin weight  is an empty trailer as it leaves the factory - which as we all know is not real world - add 2 propane tanks (dealer installed option lol) 120lbs thats going straight to the front on the 5er and thus 1/2 or 60lbs will transfer to the pin wieght - add clothes (unless your nudists) and with most 5er thas over the front and with most wives its a ton of clothes weight lol add water at 8.6lbs per gallon on a 100 gall tank thats a whopping 860 lbs added weight some of which will transfer to the pin depending on where its mounted in the trailer

hopefully you understand what im trying to convey - please feel free to PM me email me message me call me i dont care if you dont get it or want specific questions asked - as per your situation. Too many times i see people on the side of the road or in the ditch with broken units - saw it the other day Ram 1500 broken frame middle of the road 5er still attached

cheers steve 

Steve is right.

To make it even more simple, a FW weighing 11,000# GVWR will gave a pin wt of 2,200# (20%).  Your payload is 1572#.  You are already 600# overweight, not counting the hitch, passengers or cargo.

You MAY be able to hook up and pull it down the road, but you can not do it safely.

This is how those sales and marketing people think.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

Back
Top Bottom