opinions on 2003 Suncruiser 35U

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnjrrd

Hey all,  we're thinking about upgrading to an 03 Suncruiser 35U on a Workhorse chassis with 35k miles. Seems really nice and the floorplan suits us. Overall opinions appreciated but I have a few questions about this coach as well.

Looking underneath it looks good including shiny new rear calipers, (dealer has advised me the brake recall work completed). I see four Bilstein shocks, are these stock?  Also it has genuine dual exhaust, is this stock or aftermarket? (appears to have factory exhaust manifolds) Are the slides on this unit electric or hydraulic, I looked for hydraulic actuators but couldn't find any, but had four inch channels I couldn't see inside. It does not have a washer dryer but it's 50 amp, was that just an option back then? It's basement air which I thought ran off 30 amp. It sits on 19.5 recent Michelins (according to sales pitch) I will verify date codes. I saw some posts here about refer recall, this unit has a two door not four.

Anyway, thanks for any and all input, Frank.
Our previous class A was a 95 Bounder on a P-30.

We upgraded from a 1999 Winnebago Brave 35C to a 2003 Adventurer 38g last spring. Ours does have the washer dryer and 50 amp. The Workhorse chassis did come with dual exhausts. If you have HWH levelers, you have hydraulic. The pump is behind the front bumper. We are happy with our upgrade to a 2003.

35u is a very popular model. I believe all Winnebagos were hydraulic slides and levelers (HWH) at that time. The basement air does run on 30a (using apx 27a if both compressors are on), but if you want to do much else beyond lights & TV while it is running at full capacity the 50 system will make you much happier.

Overall it should be a great upgrade for you!

All three of my slides are electric, and my levelers are hydraulic and all are Quikee, not HWH.  Your's might be different.  The Workhorse W-22 came standard with dual exhaust, and I have changed both mufflers to Magnaflow stainless. Our unit came with a optional washer/dryer, and we had them removed and that added extra CCC and a nice storage area.  We also have 50 amp service.  The 35U has had some weight ratio issues which Winnebago put that unit on a short wheelbase for some reason.  Actually, I think with your smaller tires, you might have a W-20 instead of a W-22.  Check out the CCC on that unit.

Basement air will run fine under 25 amps (both compressors running), and I installed an additional roof air to supplement the underperforming basement air.  I can run all 3 compressors fine with the 5.5 Onan.  How many hours are on your gen?

Thanks for the info guys. John is ur unit equipped with Bilstein shocks?  Frontrange I will have to make another trip to see what the CCC is.  Can u point me in a direction to learn more about the weight ratio issues u mentioned? When I get the CCC I will also record the VIN and any other inside placard info that is useful to determine if W-20 or 22. Thanks again, Frank.

The Workhorse Chassis comes standard with the Bilstein shocks.  Most of us WH owners have removed those and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which seems to limit the jarring ride a bit.

Most likely, your CCC will be fine....the 38R's had very low CCC (800 lbs) and should have been built on the W-24, had it been available at the time.  RV.net had some posts on the weight ratio issues with the 35U several years ago.  The wheelbase for the 35 U is shorter than other 35/36' Winnebago units.

FrontrangeRVer said:
The Workhorse Chassis comes standard with the Bilstein shocks.  Most of us WH owners have removed those and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which seems to limit the jarring ride a bit.

Most likely, your CCC will be fine....the 38R's had very low CCC (800 lbs) and should have been built on the W-24, had it been available at the time.  RV.net had some posts on the weight ratio issues with the 35U several years ago.  The wheelbase for the 35 U is shorter than other 35/36' Winnebago units.

Uh, no.  With regard to your first paragraph I doubt that MOST WH owners have changed to Koni.  I know that several have but the cost is, in some cases, too prohibitive for many.  They are excellent shocks, but I doubt that MOST have them.

I have a 38R and the CCC is just under 1,500 lbs.

Comparing newer models to the 1999 to 2004 models with people in our WIT Club, it seems the 1999 to 2004 models are better quality and workmanship, especially in the wood work. I personally think a 2003 or 2004 with low mileage is the best buy currently.

I have an 2003 Suncruiser 33v workhorse and have installed the Koni FSD shocks all around, they made a drastic difference in the ride. Its a wonderful machine. You should get many years of use and great quality

Dunnpe said:
I have an 2003 Suncruiser 33v workhorse and have installed the Koni FSD shocks all around, they made a drastic difference in the ride. Its a wonderful machine. You should get many years of use and great quality

I did the same thing with my Winnie 35A at 5,000 miles....dumped the Bilsteens, and installed the Konis, and threw the virtually new Bilsteens in the trash.  :)  Many of us in the "know" about this chassis, have done the same thing.

Also, I would add to the OP, the OEM single stage converter/charger is a cheap imitation of a fair product......If you do end up buying this unit, do yourself a favor, and remove it, and install a true 3-stage charger/converter and save your batteries from early failure (if you leave your unit plugged in 24/7 like we do).

FrontrangeRVer said:
I did the same thing with my Winnie 35A at 5,000 miles....dumped the Bilsteens, and installed the Konis, and threw the virtually new Bilsteens in the trash.  :)  Many of us in the "know" about this chassis, have done the same thing.

Also, I would add that the OEM single stage converter/charger is a cheap imitation of a good product......Do yourself a favor, and remove it, and install a true 3-stage charger/converter and save your batteries from early failure (if you leave your unit plugged in 24/7 like we do)

Hey Mark, up kinda early huh.  :eek: Shoveling snow yet? ::)

jc2 said:
Hey Mark, up kinda early huh.  :eek: Shoveling snow yet? ::)

Funny!  ;D  Expecting 5-8' more snow tonight!  Got up this morning, and my wireless outdoor temp gauge was reporting -4 F. 

My previous MH was a WB 35U on the Workhorse chassis.  I had HWH hydraulic slides, the 19.5 tires and 30 amp electric.  That model year did not come with Bilsteins, the standard shocks were terrible and WH replaced many under warranty with Bilsteins to stop porpoising going down the highway.  I replaced my standard shocks with Monroe RV shocks which mad a big difference.

If you have 50 amp power it will be great because we'd have to shut down the A/C when using the microwave or a hair dryer.  I also installed a rear trac bar to stop the tail wagging and it became a great driving MH.

All in all, it was a great MH, we did trade up to a DP because we went fulltime.  Would not hesitate to buy another one.

Best Regards!

According to the Workhorse Chassis Guide, all W series chassis come standard with "custom tuned 46mm Monroe Shocks", until late production 2004 model year. Starting in late production 2004 model year, a running change to custom tuned Bilstein shocks began. Also, beginning on September 2, 2003, the front stabilizer assembly was changed from 2" tube, to a 2-1/2 " tube. See the Workhorse "W" Series Chassis Guide offered above. If you own a Workhorse Chassis, this is a must read!

Back
Top Bottom