Opinions on payload on my 2015 Siverado HD Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWSWine said:
7848 = 25%
9810 = 20%

So the range Towing Planner gives you is 20 to 25% range of the max GVWR of 5er you can tow with your truck without exceeding your trucks GVWR and allowing for people, hitch and etc in the truck.  Most 5er fall in between 20 and 25% but there are some exceptions.

So, if I want a bigger (heavier) 5th wheel I just use the 20% to calculate my max.

Oldgator73 said:
So, if I want a bigger (heavier) 5th wheel I just use the 20% to calculate my max.

It depends on the floor plan what percentage of GVWR of the 5er is on the pin.  A rear kitchen could have an 18 or 19 percent while a toy hauler could have 25 or 26% pin weight without the garage loaded with something heavy.  My 35 foot Solitude 310GK had a 22.8 percent pin loaded and ready to camp but or 40 foot Montana front living room had 19.8 loaded ready to camp.  People use 25% to give a lot margin when trying to stubby pencil weights.  Putting it on the scales loaded ready to camp is the only way you know if you stubby pencil guess is correct.

If you will take the time to review this PDF, starting on page #48 there are detailed, step by step instructions to follow to weigh your RV. It also makes some very good recommendations on how to balance your rig so you can get the best load without overloading anything.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/default/files/CareAndService_PassengerAndLightTruckTires.pdf

Don't let the name stop you. The whole document is all about tires and the things they are attached to. Chapter #4 is dedicated to RVs.

CWSWine said:
It depends on the floor plan what percentage of GVWR of the 5er is on the pin.  A rear kitchen could have an 18 or 19 percent while a toy hauler could have 25 or 26% pin weight without the garage loaded with something heavy.  My 35 foot Solitude 310GK had a 22.8 percent pin loaded and ready to camp but or 40 foot Montana front living room had 19.8 loaded ready to camp.  People use 25% to give a lot margin when trying to stubby pencil weights.  Putting it on the scales loaded ready to camp is the only way you know if you stubby pencil guess is correct.

This is exactly what happened to me with my tow behind 34 1/2' Toy Hauler.  Unloaded, I had a bit over the 15% of the unloaded trailer as tongue weight.  When I was loaded with two bikes, a pit bike (scooter), tools, popup canopy, pit stands, etc. I was right at 10% on the tongue and was having sway issues with the trailer....to the point that I had to keep adding weight to the front of the trailer.  I finally had enough weight that I got the sway to stop, but my then truck was to the point that it was right at, maybe slightly over the GVWR and the payload capacity.  I now have a F350 Dually, which of course is overkill for that trailer, but I have lots and lots of extra for any possible future expansion or should I say, a much bigger trailer/5ver.

Boonieman, thank you for looking past my shortgivings. The biggest reason I may correct about something is I have learned a lot from Gary (The Wiz), the two Lous, Kevin Means, and too many others here to mention.

Gator, smoking isn't the only reason. I was bad enough after my first stroke, and it seems my attitude hasn't gotten any better since my last one. After this thread, and the really lame answer I gave a person that asked for help on another thread, I am trying to make a conscious  effort to do better.

Boonieman said:
  When I first joined the forum it took me a little while to get over Kdbgoat?s bluntness. But he?s almost always right, dang it.  ??

The goat is always right...........except when he is wrong!      8)

And on a side note, G.O.A.T. = Greatest Of All Time!

kdbgoat said:
Boonieman, thank you for looking past my shortgivings. The biggest reason I may correct about something is I have learned a lot from Gary (The Wiz), the two Lous, Kevin Means, and too many others here to mention.

Gator, smoking isn't the only reason. I was bad enough after my first stroke, and it seems my attitude hasn't gotten any better since my last one. After this thread, and the really lame answer I gave a person that asked for help on another thread, I am trying to make a conscious  effort to do better.

We all have bad days, some just last longer than others!  And no one knows what someone else is going through unless they've walked that same walk.    :))

Papadude,

I went to the GM factory site (sign in) and entered my VIN for the build sheet. Also you can go  to any GM dealer and ask them to download it for you.

For those who question my numbers, the info is from the build sheet and yellow sticker.

kdbgoat said:

I don't know what this post is all about. Maybe something lost in translation. One person praised with a thumbs up and the other person joked with one of those yellow faces at the end. That being said this thread is very confusing in the way some are explaining the pin weights with 20%-25% and a 2000lb range in trailer weight dependent on how your trailers floor plan is configured. One would have to be a seasoned loadmaster to understand what trailer fit what truck and then how to load your trailer for optimum weight transference to the hitch in correlation to axle ratio to minimize sway and highway buffering.  :)

There is no set rule for your tongue/hitch weight once you take position of the vehicle. The trailer manufacturer MUST recommend a tongue weight. It must be within acceptable standards. And that's the end of their responsibility. All sorts of places around the country have RV trailer seminars/weigh-ins. At them there will be statements about recommended percentages for bumper pulls and fivers. The bottom line is, you, the owner, must manage your tongue weight by periodically weighing it and then balance your load to achieve the desired load percentage for the best towing experience, for you.

Below is an excerpt from the FMVSS that directs the trailer manufacturer to establish recommended tongue weights for all trailers they build. 

Paragraph S10.2; On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR.

bailer6334 said:
Papadude,

I went to the GM factory site (sign in) and entered my VIN for the build sheet. Also you can go  to any GM dealer and ask them to download it for you.

For those who question my numbers, the info is from the build sheet and yellow sticker.

Thank you, I don't have access to GM website for a login, but I will contact my dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom