Opinions on Replacement Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I am gathering estimates for replacement tires on my 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The current tires are Goodyear 245/70R19.5, Load Range G.  A local tire dealer has quoted me out the door prices for 6 tires installed including tax for two brands.  He is quoting for load range F  16 ply as opposed to load range G 14ply.  For Toyo M143 tires the quote is $2208.  For Hankook AH11S the quote is $2371.  My current tires are 7 years old and have about 30,000 miles on them.  I intend to keep the coach for several more years.

I have a couple of questions: 
    Will the load range F result in a stiffer ride with the two extra plys?
    Should I ask about having the balancing beads put in the tires? (Cost ?)

I did stipulate when I requested the quote that the date code on the tires had to show an age of no older than 3 months. The estimator said that would not be a problem. Any advice you folks would care to give would be appreciated.

Bill

Tires are funny animals,,not always what they seem,,a tire can be 16 ply (or 14) and not actually have that many 'LAYERS (PLYS)..
  You have to check the PLY RATEING,,many times they really don't have that many "plys" >>>Dan

I recently purchased 6 of the same size for $900.00, I think your going to find tire prices like just about anything RV is going to be all over the board, I went with a less expensive tire for a few reasons that make sense, at least to me.

First verify the load rating of the tires against your weighed weight. LR F is lower (softer?) Than G. The price is about right (I just paid a bout $2, 500 out the door for six tires mounted and balanced.  I do recommend the beads.

Ernie

I did forget about the magic dyna beads, I agree they are great and I'll never mount a tire again unless it has them

He is quoting for load range F  16 ply as opposed to load range G 14ply.
Either you are he made a mistake. Load Range F is 12-ply; 16 ply is Load range H.

Will the load range F result in a stiffer ride with the two extra plys?
It doesn't actually have two extra plies - that is a strength rating, not an actual ply count. It could be a thicker sidewall material, or just a stronger material. That said, in theory an LRH might be a bit stiffer than an LRG, but in practice you won't even notice the difference.

Should I ask about having the balancing beads put in the tires? (Cost ?)
Ask them how they balance the tires, e.g. lead weights or internal balance (beads of some sort). Many shops do the beads as standard practice - it's a much quicker and easier procedure for them. The beads may cost more (but lead is very expensive and big tires can use a lot of it), but the labor savings easily makes up for it.

Either the Toyo or the Hankook is an excellent choice.

Joe Fatz said:  I recently purchased 6 of the same size for $900.00,

That's a really low price for a 245/70R19.5, Joe. Can you share with us where you found it, and what brand of tire? Walmart has Cooper 245/70R19.5's for about $205 each, about the lowest I've seen, and that doesn't include taxes/fees/mount & balance).  Even Simpletire.com is over $1000 for 6, plus shipping ($300), FET (another $75), and local mount & balance.

JoeFatz said:
I recently purchased 6 of the same size for $900.00, I think your going to find tire prices like just about anything RV is going to be all over the board, I went with a less expensive tire for a few reasons that make sense, at least to me.

Joe, can I ask what brand did you buy and was the $900 an out the door price (install & taxes included)?

Ernie n Tara said:
First verify the load rating of the tires against your weighed weight. LR F is lower (softer?) Than G. The price is about right (I just paid a bout $2, 500 out the door for six tires mounted and balanced.  I do recommend the beads.

Ernie
Thanks Ernie.  I made a mistake - it is load range H (not F) that was quoted.  Did your price include the beads?  I can see no way to use lead and still install the wheel simulators.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Either you are he made a mistake. Load Range F is 12-ply; 16 ply is Load range H.

Right Gary - it was load range H and,  once again, you are Johnny on the spot with advice which I very much appreciate.  I will definitely use the beads - don't see how leads fit under simulators and I did state the tire age had to be 3 months or less on the date code.  The people quoting are an area tire dealer with 4 stores but it somewhat bothered me when he replied that they don't do many RV tires so would need to have the coach all day (no problem). He did however make a point that they are equipped to torque the lug nuts at the 400+ lbs required.  This morning I go to Camping World where I don't expect to get any bargain estimate.  But I am happy to see that either Toyo or Hankook are well thought of on the forum.

BWT (Buy Wheels Today) tire, they sell primarily on eBay and Amazon, really great reviews no matter where I looked and I got the tires in two days, Amazon collects tax.
My son works at our local ford dealership and I was able to borrow the truck lift and do my own, I was going to get a truck shop to do it but I like free.
The brand is Roadx

JoeFatz said:
BWT (Buy Wheels Today) tire, they sell primarily on eBay and Amazon, really great reviews no matter where I looked and I got the tires in two days, Amazon collects tax.
My son works at our local ford dealership and I was able to borrow the truck lift and do my own, I was going to get a truck shop to do it but I like free.
The brand is Roadx

Thanks Joe.  That explains a lot.  Unfortunately I don't have those advantages so i will have to go the 'pay the man' route. :))

Most truck shops will do the install for somewhere around $30 a tire, there's a few places local to me that do a mobile service, I've used them to do the bobcat tire change.
Tires delivered $900
Dynabeads $121
Typical install cost $180
All in $1221 you would be saving $1k!

I just came back from Camping World in Strafford, Mo where I have always had excellent service. They gave me quote of a little bit less than $2500 out the door for the tires however he quoted me the G622 Goodyears at $337.47 each plus install (discounted to $39 per tire) and taxes.  He also had the G670 style which is what I currently have on but I did not ask him to quote that as he mentioned them being over $400 each.  The G622s have the same specs as the G670s and neither of us could figure out the difference until I got home and looked them up on line. They are truck tires that have a pretty mean looking tread - more like a snow tire tread and the description pretty much fits what a truck driver would want.  I am not impressed and think they would be pretty noisy so I called and left him a message telling him to hold off on the G622s and send me a estimate for the G670 Goodyears.  The beads would be no extra charge.

Does anybody here have experience with G622s?  If so, please advise as you whether you are satisified with them.  Thanks.

Bill

No need for comments on the G622s.  The Camping World parts guy called me and said his distributor recommended against any G622s for a motorhome - would be a rough ride. So he gave me another estimate for the Goodyear G670s - same as I have now - but for $3460 out the door to incude media beads.  Individual tires come out to $487.07 with a 5 year warranty and the same load (4540 lbs) as the G622s.  Now have to sit down and figure out if I want to spend an extra $1000 to get Goodyears over Hankooks.  May also visit some truck tire shops next week. Boy when baby needs a new pair of shoes it gets expensive but after a $3500 transmission this summer, what's a few bucks for tires. LOL

Hi Bill N and all,

I just purchased 245/70 19.5  F range. Purchased 7 tires (one for the spare mounted) and had them installed, balanced and everything else they do. Cost was just under $2000 which I feel was a great price for out the door, taxes, balancing and so forth. So far the ride is good but don't have any extended trip experience yet. I bought these from a truck shop called Tredroc in the Griffth, Indiana area.

Forgot to mention that I bought Coopers.

you might want to check out the michelin advantage program i saved several hundred dollars through this program. but not all tire dealers authorized to
handle the program. I got mine at TCI tire centers Jacksonville Fl. they have location all over the us they are owned by michelin. My tires were low pro 22.5 hope you can find a good deal.

Been reading on tire replacement and was wondering what are the best tires for front steer tires,need to replace mine,presently have Goodyears 245/70 19.5 but was thinking on Michelins,and what is this Dyna beading that I'm reading.Up here in Ontario I'm quoted $1150 for two out the door and that's the Michelin GRV's

Sorry! I misread your tire size. For 19.5's the last time I bought, I paid more like $250 per plus balancing forCoopers. That was nearly four years ago though. I'd guess that $1800 to 2000 would be realistic now.

Ernie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom