Options for replacing ceiling carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregg,

Thanks for the reply... I simply pulled off the ceiling material with a plastic putty knife... It came down fairly easy... the bathroom area 6'x4' took about about 10 minutes and the bedroom about 30 minutes... I cut the material along the wall as not to remove too much. There was not any foam above just the thin material glued to the thin wood. I will simply sand the remaining glue off with 100 grit on an orbital sander. The bathroom ceiling has some bad rot as the skylight was broken and leaked for a few months... it's been replaced but I am thinking of removing the skylight altogether and replacing with fiberglass on the outside, foam core with a new sheet of luan in the bathroom area. I was thinking of using contact cement and only placing small 2'x4' size pieces at a time using small brads to help hold while the glue sets.

For the old rotted luan: i was thinking of sanding it down and then covering with a layer of epoxy resin and a layer of fiberglass just so the new ceiling would have something solid to stick to.

In the entire rig I am going to remove all the ceilings and add a rubber insulation (ThermoQuiet) from home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-ThermoQuiet-100-sq-ft-4-ft-x-25-ft-Thermal-Acoustic-Flooring-Underlayment-TQ100B35/204399267

Again I will use contact cement and apply the insulation in small 2'x4' strips... under that I will tape up a really good radiant barrier and then I will apply a engineering solid wood floor for the ceiling. I will use a rail system for the flooring so that the flooring spans to cover over the entire ceiling... running front to back following the curve that runs from side to side.

I will be adding weight to the rig, but we are removing tons of weight in other places.

I am debating whether or not to remove the vent (12"x12") and the skylight (2'x3') from the bathroom. This is the hottest room in the rig due to these openings... We want to be on solar and thus the need to insulate the ceiling... I need to start a post to see if anyone else has removed skylights. I am worried about the room being too dark and the possibility of mold growing. I will use a large blower to vent the bathroom through the basement, but I still am concerned about mold and mildew without any natural light in the room.

Anyway thanks for the reply...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom